Insulin In The Uk

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
He also said no insulin is made in the UK which shows how much of an expert he is!
Yes, that was, to coin a phrase, bollox. What he should have said is that we don't make enough insulin in the UK to provide for all those who need it and it's therapeutically different. But then, that doesn't make a very good headline ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Not overly worried or anxious, it's good that it is getting talked about on the forum, but I thought I would get it straight from the horse's mouth and I hope to hear from Eli Lilly in due course.

Received this email from Eli Lilly yesterday :-

Thank you for contacting us regarding your concerns about the supply of Lilly insulin after Brexit.

Please note this information relates to Lilly insulins. You can contact other relevant manufacturers for their position on this situation.

Our top priority is to ensure patients in the UK and in the EU can access the medicines that they rely on. We are working to plan for a worst-case “hard Brexit” in March 2019 and have undertaken comprehensive analysis of the risks that would pose to our business and, critically, our ability to supply medicines in the UK. We have detailed plans in place, implementation is on track and Lilly is as well positioned as possible, given the ongoing uncertainties in the negotiations. Our focus will remain firmly on ensuring we can supply Lilly medicines to the patients that need them.

Yours sincerely

Andrea Gadd

Medical Information, UK and Ireland

Eli Lilly and Company Limited

Lilly House, Priestley Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG24 9NL

Reactions: Dodo

MrGrumpyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All these questions !
Ok ***
“Here’s just one example why: we make no insulin in the UK. We import every drop of it. You can’t transport insulin around ordinarily because it must be temperature-controlled. And there are 3.5 million people [with diabetes, some of whom] rely on insulin*, not least the prime minister.”

TAKEN FROM LINK .... are you blooooming kidding ,e .. we make none ... none at all in the uk !!!!!
That to me is very very very worrying

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am astonished that people genuinely seem to think that all the insulin dependent diabetics are going to be left to die. This is scaremongering on an olympic scale.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am astonished that people genuinely seem to think that all the insulin dependent diabetics are going to be left to die. This is scaremongering on an olympic scale.

Calm and in control at the moment........... but if we are left in the lurch, a big diabetes mob will descend on the House of commons ready with our pens and finger pricker's primed for an attack on the lily- livered morons who call themselves MP's, we wont go out without a fight ! :D

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the most helpful information on this thread is the post above from @Draco16. Of course those who manufacture and supply insulin will be planning how to keep supply chains open in the event of a no deal Brexit. And if you read to the end of the link, good old scare-mongering Mr Rawlins (wonder what government pressure was put on him to big up the impending disaster of no insulin supply!!!) says that he made his statement before the health secretary announced contingency plans. I think it's shocking that people are being frightened in this fashion - used as political levers - and the biggest problem we now face is people trying to stockpile so shortages occur as a result of that, not due to shortage in real supply. A bit like panic buying when someone says it might snow.... Hopefully surgeries will be aware and not over-prescribe so this doesn't happen.

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies all.
I was being a bit too sarcastic in saying we're all going to die in the Captain Mainwaring sense. I did not mean to alarm anyone. I am just sick of all the doom and gloom if we leave the EU. It seems to be every day some stupid announcement comes out to try and worry people. I just wish they would get on with it and forget factor fear. The announcement just seemed too ridiculous for words.