Moved To Uk

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally ambled to my local NHS clinic and registered. Not sure whether I was ever registered with NHS before I left the country as a 22-year-old nearly 40 years ago, so I have now got a new NHS number. Soon afterwards, got a letter that enabled me to register for patientaccess.com.

Because of the Type 2 Diabetes I got an appointment for assessment on August 1st. I'll update this thread after that NHS appointment and blood test results.

(Tomorrow I'm off to USA for a week to attend the wedding of my eldest daughter....)

Have a lovely time at the wedding :)

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few days ago, got back from America to attend the wedding of my eldest daughter.

Still suffering from jet lag, had first NHS consultation at local clinic in the large village where we now live.

Result: 37 HbA1c, 69KG (BMI 18.5).

This is a big jump in A1C compared to six months ago when it was last measured in America (see signature). However it is nothing like as bad as my worst fears. Phew.

I look forward to settling down in lovely England and gradually easing that number down again.

My new doctor here in UK accepted my statement that I had been diagnosed in America with T2D. She said I will be getting the regular checks for retinopathy, feet, and so forth.

Thank you so much everyone for your support, it means a lot to me.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few days ago, got back from America to attend the wedding of my eldest daughter.

Still suffering from jet lag, had first NHS consultation at local clinic in the large village where we now live.

Result: 5.5% (37) HbA1c, 69KG (BMI 18.5).

This is a big jump in A1C compared to six months ago when it was last measured in America (see signature). However it is nothing like as bad as my worst fears. Phew.

I look forward to settling down in lovely England and gradually easing that number down again.

My new doctor here in UK accepted my statement that I had been diagnosed in America with T2D. She said I will be getting the regular checks for retinopathy, feet, and so forth.

I'm guessing it may have something to do with the stresses of an international move and family celebrations.. You'll be back down soon I'm sure. Good Luck!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Result: 5.5% (37) HbA1c, 69KG (BMI 18.5).

Welcome back, I hope you soon get over the jet lag. 37 is still an excellent number since you’ve had all the stress of moving across the pond. I’m sure you’ll get that back down again.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back, I hope you soon get over the jet lag. 37 is still an excellent number since you’ve had all the stress of moving across the pond. I’m sure you’ll get that back down again.

I suppose it amounts to an unplanned experiment with my own body. Like you I am not much more than one year into this particular odyssey. About the only message I can pass on at this stage is that it may not be as bad as you think, immediately post-diagnosis. Of course we are all different but I do feel like (in my case) this appears to be manageable with lifestyle and diet changes only. But it is hard to give all-encompassing advice. As for me, I feel fortunate, actually.

Last edited:

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back to the UK! And we rolled the sunshine out for you this Summer :)
37 is my number so it isn’t too bad and I am sure you will make good progress with all that walking in the English countryside...

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back to the UK! And we rolled the sunshine out for you this Summer :)
37 is my number so it isn’t too bad and I am sure you will make good progress with all that walking in the English countryside...

From your signature: "Evangelical about a low carb diet - 7 years of 'normal' HbA1c with no meds." I'm 1.5 years into the same thing, yours is one of the inspirations for me to keep going!

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing

Result: 37 HbA1c, 69KG (BMI 18.5).

Congratulations on your good score for Hba1c and for the wedding too

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I am slightly puzzled by the NHS so far. Very impressed by local clinic, and doctor. Also cool to have online access to my records (I had this in U.S. too). Classified as diabetic, supposed to be getting the regular checks. But what happens next? I'm not a self-tester, so should I just make an appointment for 3 months from now for the next HbA1C? It seems surprisingly casual as opposed to U.S. where at the end of every appointment, a new appointment was automatically scheduled for 3 months hence.

I had thought European countries were much more keen on "preventive care" than USA but now I am not so sure!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I am slightly puzzled by the NHS so far. Very impressed by local clinic, and doctor. Also cool to have online access to my records (I had this in U.S. too). Classified as diabetic, supposed to be getting the regular checks. But what happens next? I'm not a self-tester, so should I just make an appointment for 3 months from now for the next HbA1C? It seems surprisingly casual as opposed to U.S. where at the end of every appointment, a new appointment was automatically scheduled for 3 months hence.

I had thought European countries were much more keen on "preventive care" than USA but now I am not so sure!

At each appt with my GP we agree when the next blood test will be. I then have to book the nurse appt for the blood test and book a GP appt for 10 days to two weeks later to review them. I see them on line a few days after the blood is drawn. Annual check ups, I’ve only had one so far and I was sent a text msg reminder to book that. Eye screening I was also called back automatically but via letter. Might be worth checking you have on line access to your results, I had to request that specifically after I’d got the basic on line access to appts, repeat prescriptions etc...

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing

Hello how are you my friend
Certainly, North African countries have seen almost no health care

Europe for us is high care

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

With my cynical head on, in US your doctor is just assuring his income stream.

K

kas16

I'm betting it is to do with money. The USA providers presumably don't get paid unless the patient turns up, hence they want them there 3 months on the dot. The NHS don't really care if it's more than 3 months, we wait for them to send it through the post and that can be anything between 3 and 6 months or so. I'm not complaining though, it's just a different set up. Any person in the UK paying privately most likely would get an appointment dead on 3 months.

Ah, DCUK, you beat me to it!!!!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
But what happens next? I'm not a self-tester, so should I just make an appointment for 3 months from now for the next HbA1C? It seems surprisingly casual as opposed to U.S. where at the end of every appointment, a new appointment was automatically scheduled for 3 months hence.

NHS and NICE guidelines are that T2s should have HbA1c tests every 3 months until they are 'stabilised', then every 6 months.
But not all gp surgeries follow this. I only get a HbA1c test every 12 months.
Also some surgeries seem to remind T2s when the next test is due, but at my surgery I have to chase it up myself.
I have raised this with the Care Quality Commission (CQC), but don't expect any improvement as their report on the surgery last year said that the surgery was 'good' at their treatment of long term conditions with annual reviews of patients.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you just colour the old one? Instantly recognisable.

When you have a big nose, people find it easier to recognize you.... In the previous avatar I was 17 years old, the new photo was taken at my daughter's wedding last month -- I turned 61 earlier that month.

NHS and NICE guidelines are that T2s should have HbA1c tests every 3 months until they are 'stabilised', then every 6 months.

Arguably I am no longer "stabilised". For about a year I was stable at around 30 or 31, but now I've jumped to 37 over a six-month period. It's a perfectly acceptable level but there's no way to tell whether the increase has reached a plateau, or whether it will just go on increasing. It went up 6 units in six months, if that happens in the next six months I'll be at 43 ... and a year from now at 49.....

I am relatively relaxed about the situation because I know that the past six months have been very stressful. Even after the move to the UK (and the subsequent reduction in stress) I have been drinking more alcohol, and mainly carb-high English real ale, which in itself might explain most or all of the HbA1c trend. (There are four pubs within a 10-minute walk, and this country is much less puritanical about alcohol than America). Simply bringing the drinking under control, and continuing to take advantage of the wonderful hiking opportunities in the countryside here, should (in my opinion) be sufficient to reverse the trend.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks I will stroll into the surgery (5-minute walk) and ask what the deal is concerning regular tests.

BTW I was quite surprised that they did not only the HbA1c, but the whole battery of common blood tests. I think that must be because I was new to this country, and it was the first appointment. I was pleased to find that all of those myriad tests were comfortably in the "normal" range.

My BMI has drifted down to 18.5 over the past year, which is perhaps the only cause for concern as it is the edge of the "underweight" band. But I feel great, I'm eating like a horse (this has been the case ever since I went low-carb 1.5 years ago), and I'm a skinny type anyway, so I will say it again: BMI is bunk.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I will try to get back to the forum more often and offer whatever meager help I can to the newbies or anyone else who might benefit from my experience.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
When you have a big nose, people find it easier to recognize you.... In the previous avatar I was 17 years old, the new photo was taken at my daughter's wedding last month -- I turned 61 earlier that month.

Arguably I am no longer "stabilised". For about a year I was stable at around 30 or 31, but now I've jumped to 37 over a six-month period. It's a perfectly acceptable level but there's no way to tell whether the increase has reached a plateau, or whether it will just go on increasing. It went up 6 units in six months, if that happens in the next six months I'll be at 43 ... and a year from now at 49.....

I am relatively relaxed about the situation because I know that the past six months have been very stressful. Even after the move to the UK (and the subsequent reduction in stress) I have been drinking more alcohol, and mainly carb-high English real ale, which in itself might explain most or all of the HbA1c trend. (There are four pubs within a 10-minute walk, and this country is much less puritanical about alcohol than America). Simply bringing the drinking under control, and continuing to take advantage of the wonderful hiking opportunities in the countryside here, should (in my opinion) be sufficient to reverse the trend.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks I will stroll into the surgery (5-minute walk) and ask what the deal is concerning regular tests.

BTW I was quite surprised that they did not only the HbA1c, but the whole battery of common blood tests. I think that must be because I was new to this country, and it was the first appointment. I was pleased to find that all of those myriad tests were comfortably in the "normal" range.

My BMI has drifted down to 18.5 over the past year, which is perhaps the only cause for concern as it is the edge of the "underweight" band. But I feel great, I'm eating like a horse (this has been the case ever since I went low-carb 1.5 years ago), and I'm a skinny type anyway, so I will say it again: BMI is bunk.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I will try to get back to the forum more often and offer whatever meager help I can to the newbies or anyone else who might benefit from my experience.
No, it's the smile

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea how England does it, but being a newbie to Wales, I too was subjected to the whole battery of blood tests when registered, which is why I got put on a (pre)diabetes route, of tests every 3 months till stabilised. Now, I am apparently 'stabilised' with an HBA1C of 48 and am on yearly appts. I had to actually argue with the appointment person when I was on 3-month tests that yes, I also need a follow-up appt with the GP (our diabetic nurse retired and the GP is doing it all now) or it's all just telling me numbers I might not know what to do with.

Of course, I probably spent 6 years in the US being prediabetic but it was never followed up on after having gestational diabetes, because that's the ob-gyn diagnosis, and not the primary care provider, and they don't share info, and I didn't know I had to do anything.

My primary care provider in Phoenix wore the highest stilleto shoes I've ever seen. I don't know how you doctor like that. I asked her about it, and she said that 'you get used to it' and it gives her some kind of added authority when dealing with male patients....?!?