Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not much I'm easy going :D
Sarcasm, watch it fly through the air over peoples heads :lol:

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Yep
i was rushed into a+e as i had hypo'd through the night got up on the morning
And couldn't even speak my carer called 999. I was welcome'd by an allegid DR who started to shout at me for getting an ambulance .I was'nt well enough to speak however my wife arrived and the DR's days were numbered .I spent a long time in hospital when i was 10 .I had meeninguites and layed up for 18mnth so you can imagine what i feel about hospitals . My wife ripped into her. And made her appologise to me .I personally feel the alleged proffessionals could benefit from a reality check. And some kind of med's that alter severely mental attitude problems. And it aint gonna get better. I mentioned in a recent post that it would'nt be a bad idea to have some kind of medical insurance as i feel the nhs will be a thing of the past in the uk. :D

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bad individual doctors don't make the whole NHS useless. You only have to look at the problems experienced by people with diabetes getting health insurance in USA.
I remember working in an A&E as a student nurse in late 1980s, helped a doctor to set up a glucose drip for a woman brought in hypoglycaemic by her husband with a young child. The glucose brought her round quickly, and the doctor and I explained to her what had happened and where her husband and son were (playing with toys in another room), then asked what she'd like to eat and made her a jam sandwich, while doctor and she discussed what could have led to the incident. Then whole family went home together. Can't remember how they arrived, whether by ambulance, taxi or car.

grh1904

Some of the stories above are quite shocking, but I too have come across a lack of the understanding of diabetes really is, how it affects you and what each individual does for their own control.

I was recently taken to A&E with 2 broken bones in ankle due to being injured at work and was admitted overnight to see the consultant orthopaedic surgeon in the morning. I eventualy spent 6 nights as an in patient before being operated on to have a piece of metal inserted into my ankle.

I had my novorapid brought into me ans initially it was taken so as to be "stored securely". After meal times the meds trolley was brought round & this was the time my insulin pen was provided for me but often I would be waiting 30/40 mins (or more???) until it was my turn. After a couple of meals I just said "I'll keep it with me as I'm stil hungry so I'm gonna have a snack when the tea trolley comes round".

This prompted the ward sister to come & see me so I just said that I'd been on a DAFNE course, I needed to take it much quicker than the timescales it was being brought to me & dropped in some of the "science" I had learnt at DAFNE, making comments like I was on a 1:1 ratio etc.

While the nursing staff on the ward I was in were bl**dy marvellous & I couldn't have been looked after any better, I just made sure that I came across as knowing more than them about ME, MY BODY, and how I live with diabetes 24/7; and inject myself several times daily & still hold down the position of a front line operational Police officer. After that the only conversations about my diabetes was when they did their obs on the patients (blood pressure/temps etc) I was asked what my last BG reading was & when done so it could be recorded on the paperwork.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I too just tell them I'll look after my own insulin and test my own blood and this was before I did the DAFNE course, as you say meal-times can be inconsistent and often the insulin can arrive after eating the food.

Nigel

sailorj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an update,

I had my surgery in Feb which was fine but had several complications afterwards (not diabetes related). Generally the care was good and the nurses were great but they were not too sure about doing the BGs, I soon found out why.

Unfortunately I couldn't eat for 5 days and was exhausted, so they offered to do the BGs for me, that's when the fun started. Their monitor took ages, they had to swipe in thier staff barcodes off their staff cards, then mine off the charts, then calibrate the machine, then could do the BG. As most times one of these stages failed (staff card not readable so had to find a colleagues, chart barcode too crumpled, calibration process not working) it was significantly quicker to do it myself. They were very very embarrassed by the technology not being effective consistently but this was the hospital policy and it did not work. I was worried that thier monitor and mine might not be reading the same as it appeared to be such a problem, so felt happy to let them use mine when I could not ... they were not allowed to according to the Trust policy so I had to. The policy also said that BGs between 4-10 were fine, even though I am much better when at 5-6 !

I lost over a stone in weight and came home with real problems getting back on track. It took a month to get the diet and BGs back on track but at 11 weeks I am still stuggling to keep it below 7.5 overnight and post meals. The nurse now wants me on metformin but I am resisting as I feel its still from my hospital experiecne and should be allowed more time to settle.