Bean Burgers

Fairy09

Evening all,

My Hubbie made some delicious bean burgers for dinner made with the following ingredients:

Chickpeas, kidney beans, cashew nuts, onion, tahini, grated carrot and coriander. They were yummy and was worried that they might spike me but my BS only went up 1.3 Two hours after eating. As I'm only on week 6 of T2 diagnosis do you think beans are good for us? They were quite high carbs but didn't really spike.

Thanks in advance x x

D

Deleted Account

Pulses like chickpeas and beans are odd: some people do not digest the carbs in them and some people see a spike.
As with many foods, as ee are all different, the only way to tell if you can eat them without a bg spike is test, eat, test.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This may depend on what you had with them. Beans are a funny bunch which spike some but not others. Sometimes the spike isn't so high but can last longer than the two hour mark. When I try a new food/recipe I test it out three times before adding it to my 'safe' list. With beans I have tested again at the three hour mark, sadly I can't tolerate them.

Fairy09

Thanks for all your advise. I tested my bloods again before I went to bed and they were down to 6.2 from 7.0 2 hrs after eating them.

My Hubbie made lots so will have them again soon and will check my bloods every hour after eating them.

He wrapped them in a big lettuce leaf with homemade coleslaw so no stodgy carbs with them.

Chat tomorrow xxx

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all,

My Hubbie made some delicious bean burgers for dinner made with the following ingredients:

Chickpeas, kidney beans, cashew nuts, onion, tahini, grated carrot and coriander. They were yummy and was worried that they might spike me but my BS only went up 1.3 Two hours after eating. As I'm only on week 6 of T2 diagnosis do you think beans are good for us? They were quite high carbs but didn't really spike.

Thanks in advance x x
Can't answer your question, but would your husband be willing to tell us how he made them? I'd love to try it, although I have no idea how much insulin to take for it. But if they're really good I can just experiment until I have the dose right :p

James2

i think there are some many variables , as Someone else has posted try them and do your blood sugars.
i cant eat them as i notice a spike