Type 2 hgv food advise

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
thank you for your help and I am sorry to say I cant stand cheeses of any kind , the smell texture make me want to throw up will get the wife to look at the white bread recipe , it may work , am such a finicky eater its hard on me and the wife , she has to put up with me moaning that am hungry and what can I eat , she has given up in some respects as I seem to keep saying I don't like that or no way am I eating fish , I was brought up meat and two veg , bread to fill you up with plenty of potatoes , and clean plates sorry folks but at 62 its hard to change your habits , I am slowly getting there wife made a paella with fish and chicken and I actually surprised myself and asked for more , just like Oliver , she nearly needed oxygen poor awled thing , but I am limiting my spuds actually had some cauli and peas and carrots for xmas dinner , mind you gran bairn had more veg than me ,BUT its a start, keep the ideas coming I do appreciate it , and I need to re educate my taste buds , especially in the wagon ,

It is tough to feed yourself properly when you are on the road.

I was brought up on potatoes with every meal, and bread and butter and I found it very hard to give up. Clean plate as well. I still find it very hard to leave anything.
Your wife sounds like a star - she is putting in loads of work to find stuff you like.
One thing that I found - if I eat bread and potatoes they make me hungry and wanting more.
Once I stopped them the hunger wore off over a few weeks and I now eat a lot less and still feel full.

You have a lot of willpower because you gave up smoking.
Carbohydrates (spuds, bread, rice, pizza and the like) are as addictive as fags and very hard to give up.
I think you just have to keep trying and find other vegetables to eat instead of spuds.
It will seem unnatural for a while but I think you will adjust.
Have a bit more meat and more of the one veg and grit your teeth a bit.

Do you like cold meats? Ham, beef, cold sausage, that kind of thing?
They can work as snacks while you are on the road and keep you from feeling hungry.
Shame about the cheese; cheese wrapped in ham is one of my favourites.

If you like cold roast meat perhaps your wife could do you a roast dinner (without the spuds) and you could take some cold meat next day to eat on the road.

What do you have for breakfast?
A big plate of eggs, bacon, sausage, tomato, mushrooms (full English) without the toast and baked beans is a very good start to the day and can keep you going for a good while.
I'm pretty sure you could get something similar at a cafe/truck stop when you are on the road.
The main thing is to avoid the chips/mash that usually comes with it.
I like ham and eggs as well - if I'm eating out I'll have ham and eggs and tell them no chips.

Best of luck. You will get there in time. It always takes a while to change the way you eat but it can be done.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I travel with a soft sided cooler. Does roast beef wrapped around some cheese fit the bill? Hard boiled eggs and cheese or sausages?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For meals at home, I think suede, celariac and cauliflower can give you that winter bulk with your meat. eg Cottage pie/sheppards pie with celariac mash or cauli mash on top or steak and celariac chips.

Hubby did me a sausage and fake potato pie with cheese cauliflower mash on top, it didn't last long.

Sounds like you are really trying to experiment, keep at it and your taste buds will change. You don't want to just get to retirement but enjoy it in good health.

Many partners and wives post on here for advice, tell your mrs we don't bite and would be happy to help. There are hundreds of recipes available here on the site if she just wants to browse for ideas.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Do you like dishes with rice as the filler (instead of potatoes)? Cauliflower rice can be used instead of rice and fills you up without tasting of cauliflower....

James2

Hi

with the job you do preparation is key, also working your own variables as some foods may cause you to spike .from my own personal experience if i am going on a long drive is not be hungry when i fill up with petrol otherwise i hit the snaky type foods crisps / chocolates ,which comes back to the preparation part , try to not be discouraged as we all have good days and other days it is a bit more of a struggle.
best wishes
James2

Reactions: ickihun