First Retinopathy Scan

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
I’ve just had my first retinopathy scan. I thought I would share my experience because I know some people get concerned and anxious about it.
I haven’t had results yet but the procedure itself was fine.
The drops are uncomfortable at first but not anywhere near as bad as getting a tiny bit of soap or sun cream in your eye .
The staff member was friendly, clear and explained everything. The photos were just a flash and it was all over in 30 mins.
The blurred version from the drops is only a problem for close up reading and is starting to improve within 2 hours, but the advice about not driving for 4-6 hours seems very sensible to me.
On the whole better than I expected.

D

Deleted Account

Your experience is pretty close to mine.
I would add a couple of things:
- the eye drops expand the pupils. Therefore, even when not in direct sunlight, things will appear bright. So, even when I have my scan in the middle of a dreary winter's day (do you remember them?), I take my sunglasses with me and have been known to wear them indoors.
- the time taken for the affect of the eye drops to wear off seems to vary. On some occasions, I have been able to see fine after little more than 30 minutes. However, on one occasion, everything was still blurred after 4 hours. For this reason, I avoid planning to drive, walking far, read, use a computer for 4 hours. For me, this means I make lots of work phone calls instead of relying on email or messenger.

On one occasion, I asked to see the scan and was provided with a couple of pictures.
I wasn't sure what to do with the, but it satisfied my curiosity.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree that the test itself is pretty painless if inconvenient. I found that waiting for the results of my first screening harder to bear than the test itself.

As far as tests go, and I have many different tests/procedures done in the last twenty years, I would say this one is a doddle.

Reactions: rhubarb73

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I haven’t had results yet but the procedure itself was fine.

I've been going to the same local hospital for 20 years and these days can actually look at the pictures on their computer. Although for obvious reasons they will not say anything there and then (I sometimes think the operator just takes the picture) they might give an indication to be confirmed by letter. Overall a valuable check in keeping me healthy which I feel privileged to receive. Luckier than non diabetics really.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had my first test a couple of weeks ago, and she showed me the pics and even enlarged them to show the details of the central part of the eye as well. I know what they should look like so was expecting, and got, a letter saying everything is fine.
One thing - my eyes tend to be very dry, a side effect of two of my other drugs, and she said this can make the eye drops sting more. They did! - next time I will check if I can use moistening eye drops before, or at least blink a lot.

LucyL 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have this coming up next month. Makes me feel a bit less worried about it,tho I cannot stand my eyes being "touched".

egontoast

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have never had to have drops, if your pupils open wide enough, you do not need them. My yearly test was last week, so I am still waiting on my results.