Novofine 4mm Needles

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Hi All, recently moved across to 4mm needles from 8mm. Am on NovoRapid (NovoPen Echo) and Lantus (ClickStar pen). I started with NovoFine Plus needles but found that they went blunt after 2-3 uses and that due to the design could not be certain that they had gone all the way in. Have moved to BD needles now and swapping them over after 10 uses and can see much easier that they are fully in my skin.
Cheers
David
T1 28 years MDI

MrGrumpyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All these questions !
Hi All, recently moved across to 4mm needles from 8mm. Am on NovoRapid (NovoPen Echo) and Lantus (ClickStar pen). I started with NovoFine Plus needles but found that they went blunt after 2-3 uses and that due to the design could not be certain that they had gone all the way in. Have moved to BD needles now and swapping them over after 10 uses and can see much easier that they are fully in my skin.
Cheers
David
T1 28 years MDI

Sorry ... are you saying you use a Bd 4mm needle now and use them 10 times before you change them ? Or am I going mad an reading that wrong lol

Reactions: urbanracer

ConnorFowles1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Salad and most healthy foods lol.
I was told never to use the needles more than once. It could leave you with infection as the needle will be dirty... I’ve never used my needles more than once?!?!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Pictures taken under the microscope pretty much speak for them self, regarding multiple use...

image.jpeg

Reactions: LucySW

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I used to change my pen needles once per pen until I was shown the same picture as above. It's changed once a day or more now. Pain. funnily, has gone :)

Froggychops

Well those pictures have certainly changed my view on how often I change my needles. Up until today, like pori69, for the last 25 years I have used one needle per cartridge...... never too old to learn

Reactions: Energize

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
I don't understand why anyone would reuse needles, even if you have to pay for them yourself.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got the Novofine needles and they definitely give you an incentive to change every time because they do seem to go blunt after one use!!!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In addition to the needles becoming damaged after each injection, but the accuracy of the dose will be affected too. Good diabetes control is all about injecting the correct dose of insulin, which you won't be doing if reusing needles.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I don't understand why anyone would reuse needles, even if you have to pay for them yourself.
When I was first diagnosed 46 years ago.....We had a box of needles (8 in there) which we had to make last a month. They were the size of darning needles BUT darning needles were sharper :(. You just get used to not changing needles all the time. They are changed once a day now :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Well those pictures have certainly changed my view on how often I change my needles. Up until today, like pori69, for the last 25 years I have used one needle per cartridge...... never too old to learn
You will find it a LOT less painful now lol :)

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When I was first diagnosed 46 years ago.....We had a box of needles (8 in there) which we had to make last a month. They were the size of darning needles BUT darning needles were sharper :(. You just get used to not changing needles all the time. They are changed once a day now :)
I have no words! I'm pleased you don't have to do that anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes, I remember those. About an inch and a quarter or maybe 1.5 inches long.? They were huge for an 8 year old.. & that big unwieldy glass syringe...

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Yes, I remember those. About an inch and a quarter or maybe 1.5 inches long.? They were huge for an 8 year old.. & that big unwieldy glass syringe...
I am soooooo glad things have changed for the better . Dead easy now lol

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Advice from BD Medical about needles.
20180904_205750.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am soooooo glad things have changed for the better . Dead easy now lol

Yep, kind of for everyone else.. But there is still an "animal" inside me that wants a little "retro" drawing up & injecting "Trainspotting" style.. :) Lol, at least now & again.. ;)

I feel the transgression was subtle. Though I do remember I had serious issues getting to grips with MDI in the late 1980s when I started.. :banghead:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Advice from BD Medical about needles. View attachment 28361

This can happen. Especially when traveling on a plane. (Air pressure.) hence an adiquate air shot needed.

I would suggest investing in a Frio wallet for those hot days. :) The hotter it gets, the better it seems to work!

Last edited: