Cholesterol/statins And Other Bunkum

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it has been posted before but worth a review anyway..

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Just watched it. A very good explanation and refutation of the whole load of bunkum that our GP's are giving out on an hourly basis.
Sally

Reactions: Terrytiddy
Don’t beat up on your doctors they have a big job to do. My experience is they will always listen and explain what they are doing with you. It a team effort.

Reactions: BeccyB

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t beat up on your doctors they have a big job to do. My experience is they will always listen and explain what they are doing with you. It a team effort.
I wish I could say the same.
My experience is that they know little if anything about various conditions but are always keen to whip out the prescription pad.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Couldn't agree more, however, it doesn't help when your GP tells you that the muscle pain in your legs is because of your age, because you exercise too much, or because you're overweight, a different excuse every time you mention the pain, and then say "you're the only patient who mentions muscle pain". By the time my GP was saying I was a rare case I was in possession of a copy of a patent application made by Merck Pharmaceutical in 1990, seven whole years before I was first prescribed Statins, to put CoQ10 in with the statin to prevent impending muscle pain.

Fortunately, he's now my ex GP, he had also told me to keep eating the carbs when I asked if I should cut back and he'd also said the side effects of Metformin were IBS, after putting me through all sorts of investigations on my insides. Out of touch would be under statement. My present GPs always listen and explain and I do consider us a team tasked with looking after my health.

So fair to say I have experienced both sorts of GP.

Reactions: briped

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Here is a lecture (just short of a hour) that is a little more technical and presented by Ivor Cummins.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Blackcountrylad, I agree with you in that most Doctors listen to you and try to explain, I know mine does. However, all they try to explain is the generic NHS advice, eg eat lots of carbs/don't eat eggs because of cholesterol and as this post says, all the things that are in the process of being debunked. They do not (in my experience) stray very far, if at all from their text books.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Although I have been lucky enough in the past to have had a couple of excellent GPs I have to say that I have lost faith in HCPs in general. If one is 'awkward' enough to have multiple conditions or ask for full details or even to want a discussion on choice wrt treatment options then one must hunt high and low for a HCP to accommodate.

MrGrumpyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All these questions !
Ok ... have to say that has freaked me out a little ....

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am I must admit anti statins mostly, but reading on line that Akira Endo having never taken statins when learning his cholesterol levels were high, until about 5 years ago has since been taking them but only three times a week not daily. I wonder if he had any serious doubts about his own discovery would he be taking them at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ponchu

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wot I learned:-

Don't meat and drive. I suppose eating a burger, smoking and driving at the same time would result in an adverse outcome.

More seriously, an excellent presentation. I'm also curious how 'relative risk' became a thing because as shown in this presentation, it's statistically meaningless bordering on the fraudulent. I guess people are being taught this as a neat presentation trick rather than decent statistics.

With the statins, the huge issue is glossing over the benefits vs adverse outcomes, especially given the way they're prescribed. I sense large lawsuits looming in statins future.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I sense large lawsuits looming in statins future.

Lawyers in Canada filed lawsuits in 2014 because of the increased risk of diabetes.

In the USA, more than 2,300 Lipitor lawsuits have been filed in the District of South Carolina on behalf of individuals who allegedly developed Type 2 diabetes due to their use of the statin, according to court documents.

These lawsuits started after the FDA warned of the possible connection in 2012.

As for the U.K., just google "statin lawsuits U.K." Lots of horror stories about the side effects but I couldn't find anything about lawsuits. I have seriously thought of litigation but lets be honest, unless I was incredibly rich, I would be daft to waste my money.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Big Pharma, in the case of litigation, tends to philibuster until claimants die. Look at British claimants wrt Thalidomide.

Reactions: Ponchu

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
There have been quite a few cholesterol questions recently as well as statins... I'm not sure if this has been posted before but it seemed timely to me.

Thanks for introducing me to David Diamond. I have been looking for a good summary about saturated fats and statins - and here it is .

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for introducing me to David Diamond. I have been looking for a good summary about saturated fats and statins - and here it is .

Note. Bulkbiker has a separate thread titled 'Cholesterol and Statins', it is quite comprehensive and ranges from the very simple to the technical if you are interested in delving deeper. Highly recommended.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My GP wanted to prescribe me statins within a week of me being diagnosed. I politely told him where to put his statins...

This is what I do not understand, it's almost like *they* want to treat a number rather than finding out how that number is broken down and if there is a potential problem within. Picture the scene 'Good morning Mrs. Guz, I'm sorry but you have.... number X' or worse, 'You live in which postcode! OMG, take this drug or you will expire next Tuesday week!' It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP wanted to prescribe me statins within a week of me being diagnosed. I politely told him where to put his statins...

So did mine even though my cholesterol and lipids were all within the standard range. I asked why and she just said because we put every diabetic on statins.