Hypos

Pauliegreg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it possible to have a hypo if your bs is above 4?

I've just had full on hypo symptoms, shaking, sweaty, feeling sick, headache, and when I tested my blood it was 4.2.
I had a few jelly babies and my blood went up to 5.6 but I'm still feeling the after effects of a hypo.

I'm a T2 on metformin, abasalgar insulin and humalog Insulin.

Just wondering if anyone had had that?

Thanks, Paul.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. If you have been having high glucose for a prolong period. The brain is used to the high glucose levels and there isn't enough ketones to serve as alternative energy source.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Pauliegreg, It has happened to me, even from a glucose meter, repeated 5.6. I repeated the reading 10 minutes later and it was 3.6 mmol/l. So my doctor reckoned it was the fast fall in my BSLS which had triggered the 'early warning' symptoms.
I have tested at 3.8 mmol/l in the past without any symptoms also, but reckon the fall was quite gradual.

Pauliegreg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys.
I seem you get hypo symptoms if my bs goes below 4.5 I'll keep an eye on it.

Reactions: kitedoc

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's called a false hypo. Your body is so used to higher numbers, it reacts as if there's an actual hypo going on. If you get your numbers down, your body'll get used to it and the false alarms will be a thing of the past. I used to have them in the fives... No worries, it'll get better.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's called a false hypo.

not necessarily, testing strips/monitors have a variance allowance of 15% so a 4.2mmol blood test could actually cover a range from 3.57 to 4.83

Agree that having high BGs for some time and then getting into the low 4s can cause false hypos along with the speed of the drop to.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
It used to be if my blood sugar levels dropped to 5.0 I would know straight away now I get no idea it is dropping until I start feeling shaky and weird

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
not necessarily, testing strips/monitors have a variance allowance of 15% so a 4.2mmol blood test could actually cover a range from 3.57 to 4.83

Agree that having high BGs for some time and then getting into the low 4s can cause false hypos along with the speed of the drop to.
Right.... I always forget about the 15%. Duh...

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What you actually mean is the manufacturers don't tend to 'advertise' this fact so it's easily forgotten :hilarious:
The first I heard about it was on this forum! By then I had 3 meters and had used them for well over a year. Learning all the time eh.