Nice Guidelines And Self-testing Glucose Meters

Syd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed as T2 back in 2013. I recall then looking around and noticing the NICE guidelines then current which had first been published in 2008. I was vaguely aware that these guidelines had been updated in December 2015 with a small revision last year.

The guidelines now, so far as they relate to self-testing, are far clearer and now provide that doctors should not generally prescribe self-testing meters and strips. I quote

1.6.13 Do not routinely offer self-monitoring of blood glucose levels for adults with type 2 diabetes unless:

• the person is on insulin or
  • there is evidence of hypoglycaemic episodes or
  • the person is on oral medication that may increase their risk of hypoglycaemia while driving or operating machinery or
  • the person is pregnant, or is planning to become pregnant. For more information, see the NICE guideline on diabetes in pregnancy.
Yet the "stickies" at the top of this thread and the advice for the newly diagnosed posted by @daisy1 seem to have been composed in 2011 and do not reflect what would appear to be the current NICE guidelines on self-testing.

Apologies in advance if I have got this wrong but I don't think I have.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
To be brutally honest, the guideline on testing is driven by financial interest rather than patient oriented benefit. If the NHS had to pay for meters/strips and appropriate education for use of said then the service would be bankrupted. HCPs should be honest with patients, they should stop saying 'Don't test, you'll become anxious/obsessed/depressed' and be open citing funding as the main reason.
There is a caveat also that to prescribe a meter and strips relies on the patient using dietary changes in an effort to manage bg even if they are not on bg lowering medication and this itself would be reliant on good sound nutritional advice.

Reactions: kitedoc

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Syd daisy's post was written by members of the forum and updated many times by different members over the years, please consider drafting a new paragraph on self testing for members to comment on and change.

They are just guideline so GPs/HCPs can prescribe if they feel there is a clinical need. I know some members have argued their case and won.

Syd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Guzzler and @Alison Campbell

I would not presume to give anyone advice as to whether they should or should not test and therefore would be reluctant to draft any such advice on which others might comment.

I do feel that if NICE guidelines are going to be referred to, then those referring to them should do so with accuracy. At the moment the newly diagnosed are being given the wrong impression as to what the NICE guidelines presently are.

Reactions: Guzzler