Dvla Licence Renewal

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Received DIAB1 to complete. Just checking for question 1.4 - have you EVER had an episode of low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia)? I mean, of course YES? Seems a trick question to me...

1.5 do you get warning symptoms? I do, all the time, so I can answer yes to this.

1.6 how many episodes of low blood sugar have you had whilst awake in the last 12 months? Assume this means episodes where I needed assistance? None, One, two or more... if we're talking the odd 3.8 or 3.9 the technically more than two but for the purposes of the form and the people who are reviewing it (as I can't 'explain' that a hypo at 3.8 is different to 2.8), I want to put none. The form looks as though its only interested if I tick two or more hypos, then I'm asked about assistance needed.

If I put no hypos, is this suspicious and may a raise a red flag?

iHs

This has been talked about on FB. The DVLA never explain things clearly unfortunately.
I would probably write 2 hypos to question 1.6 but also tick the box to say with awareness. If worried, best to speak to your DSN or DUK

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take it that a majority of type 1's realistically would put three or more hypos in a year?

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Received DIAB1 to complete. Just checking for question 1.4 - have you EVER had an episode of low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia)? I mean, of course YES? Seems a trick question to me...

1.5 do you get warning symptoms? I do, all the time, so I can answer yes to this.

1.6 how many episodes of low blood sugar have you had whilst awake in the last 12 months? Assume this means episodes where I needed assistance? None, One, two or more... if we're talking the odd 3.8 or 3.9 the technically more than two but for the purposes of the form and the people who are reviewing it (as I can't 'explain' that a hypo at 3.8 is different to 2.8), I want to put none. The form looks as though its only interested if I tick two or more hypos, then I'm asked about assistance needed.

If I put no hypos, is this suspicious and may a raise a red flag?
If you put no hypos and you have had any readings below 4 then it’s lying. You have to be honest on the form. If you’ve had 2 or more readings under 4 then put that. If you haven’t needed assistance with any and have awareness you’ll be okay.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It’s even more confusing because the DAFNE guidelines have been updated to say a hypo is below 3.5mmol...

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The DVLA have tried to make this simpler and easier for Insulin using Diabetics.

The idea is to identify those who do not recognise when their BG is low, especially those who need assistance.

The overall idea is to make it easier for those who recognise low blood glucose events and deal with those events effectively to maintain their driving entitlement.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The DVLA worry most about those who are Hypo-unaware and those who have needed the assistance of others on two occasions in the last year i.e. are either hypo-unaware or haven't tested enough, poor control etc. Just be honest and focus on those factors which are obviously important to minimise risk whilst driving

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @Diakat did you include additional information with your form about your hypos? did you give an exact number?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
hi @Diakat did you include additional information with your form about your hypos? did you give an exact number?
Hi @Peppergirl
No extra info, just ticked the more than box and the yes I know how they feel box. Gave my consultant and nurse info and that was it.
Licence back in around 3 weeks from sending the form.

Reactions: Peppergirl

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to update, 1.5 warning symptoms - yes
1.6 - I ticked three or more hypos but none required assistance, which is the truth (never needed help).

The only slight delay for me was with the neurologist (I have MS) who OK'd my fitness to drive. I got my licence renewed within three weeks.