Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I had ketones everyday last week as high as 5.6. Feeling very down and tired. Ketones again this morning 1.7. I'm struggling with taking insulin altogether

Sadly unless you take your insulin then you will struggle, running high blood glucose levels feeds anxiety and stress, it slows you down mentally as your body tries to cope with all the excess glucose in your body, so it is easier to take your insulin.

What’s changed and why are you struggling ? Please pm if you prefer to chat off line.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I had ketones everyday last week as high as 5.6. Feeling very down and tired. Ketones again this morning 1.7. I'm struggling with taking insulin altogether

Ring 111 NOW, tell them your ketone results.
Please, do it!

Hi @diabetic12yrs, I’m so sorry you’re having a struggle so first off: hugs
Is it the actual injecting that’s the difficulty or is it more than that? Injecting sometimes reminds us that we’re making a conscious decision to stay well and as healthy as possible. This awareness can disappear, in my experience, when injecting becomes such a deeply ingrained habit that it’s like opening a door before going through the entrance.
I’m concerned that you’ve got high ketones - have you stopped injecting any of your insulin?
It’s time to ring 111, NOW, as your ketones are dangerously high.

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly unless you take your insulin then you will struggle, running high blood glucose levels feeds anxiety and stress, it slows you down mentally as your body tries to cope with all the excess glucose in your body, so it is easier to take your insulin.

What’s changed and why are you struggling ? Please pm if you prefer to chat off line.
I just really am fed up. I hate having to take injections and test sugar levels. Honestly, I have no clue about my diabetes. I have always struggled with it for 16 years. And I'm reading how everyone on here seems to have a better understanding, and wondering what that feels like

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The more understanding you have, the easier it is to avoid the bad times. We all still have bad diabetic times but knowledge lets you bounce back quicker.
Huge hugs.

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ring 111 NOW, tell them your ketone results.
Please, do it!

Hi @diabetic12yrs, I’m so sorry you’re having a struggle so first off: hugs
Is it the actual injecting that’s the difficulty or is it more than that? Injecting sometimes reminds us that we’re making a conscious decision to stay well and as healthy as possible. This awareness can disappear, in my experience, when injecting becomes such a deeply ingrained habit that it’s like opening a door before going through the entrance.
I’m concerned that you’ve got high ketones - have you stopped injecting any of your insulin?
It’s time to ring 111, NOW, as your ketones are dangerously high.
They are down to 1.1 now. I took some insulin to get them down as I don't want to end up in hospital again with dka. I hate injections and testing

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
They are down to 1.1 now. I took some insulin to get them down as I don't want to end up in hospital again with dka. I hate injections and testing

That’s very good to hear! Phew!
I wish I knew a way you could overcome your hatred of injections and testing. Have you read any books on how to live happily with T1? Most people find ‘Think like a Pancreas’ helps to explain it and how to be the one in charge.
Have you asked Your DSN if there are any courses you could go on that would help you to feel in control?

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s very good to hear! Phew!
I wish I knew a way you could overcome your hatred of injections and testing. Have you read any books on how to live happily with T1? Most people find ‘Think like a Pancreas’ helps to explain it and how to be the one in charge.
Have you asked Your DSN if there are any courses you could go on that would help you to feel in control?
I have asked before and they were supposed to get me help with carb counting but nothing has happened yet. I do need something to help me

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @diabetic12yrs, I have felt quite nauseous when ketones were high. All I know that will change that and improve symptoms is taking short-acting insulin with meals in addition to your Tresiba.
I know you have already written that you have been prescribed these things. Is not feeling a bit better worthwhile ?
And if not, do you have a Crisis number to ring ? Have you rung ?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have asked before and they were supposed to get me help with carb counting but nothing has happened yet. I do need something to help me

Can you contact your DSN again and ask that the carb counting course happens asap? You might, at the same time, tell him/her the recent results you’ve had and stress the difficulty you’re experiencing without knowing how to carb count.
Sometimes I get fed up with the constant need to test, calculate, adjust, inject, wait before eating, have a cool frio if I’m going out, carry glucotabs and jelly babies, be 5 before driving, test if I wake at night, pack supplies when I’m travelling, analyse why blood glucose is out of range etc etc etc. I see ‘normal’ people grab something they fancy and stuff it in their mouths without knowing how many carbs it has or get in their cars without testing and waiting, if they need to, til blood glucose is good to go, and I’m really envious.
But. I can’t change the fact I’m T1. I can only work at having the kind of results that’ll make me feel physically good.
The better my results, the better my mood too. I feel lighter, happier, more energetic.
Badger the DSN until you get the tools - the course, decent test kits, a libre, everything you need to live better: you matter, you’re important.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

You do need to get in touch with your DSN ASAP. Tell him/her of the problems you are having at the moment. Keep on their case....constantly until you get some support of them

Reactions: Juicyj