Who's Using Milk Kefir to Lower One's HbA1c?

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not even heard of it - but it looks good doesn't it - that is quite a step down.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi Everyone

I just read this

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4401881/

and in particular

Table 4 (results)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4401881/table/T4/

which explains that one can lose a statistically significant number on one's HbA1c.. !

I am curious if any one here on this website is feeling the benefits from including a Milk Kefir in their diet??

Thanks & please chime in!

LBB

Hi. I used to drink kefir but I've been low carbing for around a year and cut out milk as it spiked me. I'm happy to give it a try and see what my readings are. I'd also like to hear if anyone else has tried it.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The process of making one's own kefir is that of changing a good quality milk into a kefir alters the sugars into acids that are all about probiotic enhancement of the gut biome. If you watch a video or two on Youtube you'll learn what is going on and how to do it. Best done at home as you'll have a better product..

Reactions: Grandma Misti

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The process of making one's own kefir is that of changing a good quality milk into a kefir alters the sugars into acids that are all about probiotic enhancement of the gut biome. If you watch a video or two on Youtube you'll learn what is going on and how to do it. Best done at home as you'll have a better product..

I'd love to make my own but despite promises I've never had any of the starter grains, however Tesco sell a very nice commercial version. It may not be as good as home made but I can actually get it. Mind you if you have a starter grain you can let me have do let me know. Best thoughts

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd love to make my own but despite promises I've never had any of the starter grains, however Tesco sell a very nice commercial version. It may not be as good as home made but I can actually get it. Mind you if you have a starter grain you can let me have do let me know. Best thoughts

@OrsonKartt

I live near the beach in Los Angeles County USA, so getting starter grains to you may be a bit of a stretch. I'm personally working this week on FMD (Fasting Mimicking Diet) created by Phd Valter Longo. He's recommended to do the FMD 6 times (I read that somewhere on diabetes.co.uk.) for optimal effects. I'm on go around 2 out of 6. I got a good FBG this morning, so I'll continue with my progress until Friday. I'm going to be out of town for a week starting Saturday on a business trip so I'll not be up for creating my own kefir until I get back. I'm not sure the US Post would like me sending kefir grains to the UK .. If I was in the UK I'd step up and try and help out..

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There have been a few threads on kefir, so it might be worth you searching for them.

Personally, I like kefir, and used to make it regularly, but I didn't ever notice it lowering my blood glucose.
I could drink up to 300mls of the stuff in a short time, and only experience about a 1mmol/l rise, for significantly less than an hour. But nowadays I choose to use that portion of my daily food on other things.

My feeling is that it is fab for the gut biome, but I am not dedicated enough to make it often enough to keep the culture healthy. I would end up throwing some away, which kind of offends my desire not to waste food.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@OrsonKartt

I live near the beach in Los Angeles County USA, so getting starter grains to you may be a bit of a stretch. I'm personally working this week on FMD (Fasting Mimicking Diet) created by Phd Valter Longo. He's recommended to do the FMD 6 times (I read that somewhere on diabetes.co.uk.) for optimal effects. I'm on go around 2 out of 6. I got a good FBG this morning, so I'll continue with my progress until Friday. I'm going to be out of town for a week starting Saturday on a business trip so I'll not be up for creating my own kefir until I get back. I'm not sure the US Post would like me sending kefir grains to the UK .. If I was in the UK I'd step up and try and help out..

Lol. It's easy to forget that we live in s small world. Best thoughts

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I make kefir and turn it into two things: soft cheese, and whey.

The cheese I include in my daily lunchtime salad. The whey spikes the heck out of me so I use it as a hypo treatment and a post-exercise drink. I dilute it half and half with water and add a slug of sf squash. Scrummy.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

The cheese I include in my daily lunchtime salad. The whey spikes the heck out of me so I use it as a hypo treatment and a post-exercise drink. I dilute it half and half with water and add a slug of sf squash. Scrummy.

That's good to hear. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: Freema

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hello snapsy, do you still make your own? I would love to have some grains. You can message me...

James2

hi
i have just started drinking the milk this week , i read a few health articles saying it could be beneficial and
there was some Iranian research which indicated it brings sugar levels down.
so it is early for me to tell
regards
James 2

Reactions: Freema

Geoffno6

hi
i have just started drinking the milk this week , i read a few health articles saying it could be beneficial and
there was some Iranian research which indicated it brings sugar levels down.
so it is early for me to tell
regards
James 2

Nice simple well explained proper science. Off to the local milk kefir emporium!

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Think you can make coconut milk kefir if you want to avoid the dairy. Dr Sarah myhill sells the grains on her online shop.

Reactions: Sweet_Sophie

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sweet_Sophie - Kefir grains are available on Amazon, and probably from healthy food stores.
I think you probably mean “health” food stores as they rarely seem to contain much healthy food...

Edit to add smiley emoticon thingy.. :)

Reactions: Sweet_Sophie

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I am resurrecting this old thread in the hopes you lovely low carb/ Keto Type 2 folk can give up-to-date feedback.
I have looked at all the kefir threads that the search function threw up and they are all more than 3 years old.