What Age?

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
What age were you when you first found out you had pre-diabetes?
I was 50 years old. Today I'm 63 still pre-D. (My most recent hA1c was 5.8) I went in to see my GP when I turned 50 years old. Part of the routine annual physical exam is what the doctors call a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel blood test. It included the hA1c. My mother was diabetic, therefore ever since I turned 40 I was having my hA1c checked every year. I knew my blood sugar level would go up to the pre-D level but I didn't know when.

What works for me is lots of exercise, eating low carb keto diet and intermittent fasting.

Good luck, it is not easy but well worth the effort.

Reactions: whitech and Guzzler

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was never told.
Apparently people of my age ought to have an annual review and health check - I never had anything but a check of my thyroid supplementation and a note made that it is OK - I was told to eat a cholesterol lowering diet -cereals and low fat foods, but nothing I would call a check up - as in 'how are you' sort of questioning or interest.
I was diagnosed as a full blown diabetic due to the wrong tests being ordered, as far as I can work out.

Reactions: whitech

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was never actually diagnosed as pre-diabetic,but was told at the end of 2013 at age 71 that I was a T2. I was having regular (approx) 6 monthly medical checkup/reviews, and it was apparently picked up in March that year, but I wasn't told until, and had the diagnosis confirmed after, my November review. However, after immediately cutting out all sugary, then al high carb foods, i've had pre-diabetic level HbA1c results since Feb 2014 (see signature) - though I'm identified as well controlled.

Robbity

Reactions: whitech

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was told by my gp at age 61, the year before I got a HbA1c reading of 49 and was told I was now diabetic.
My gp didn't explain what it meant, just that it meant I was likely to become diabetic. I didn't take any notice as I thought it was just another 'scare' story, like her telling me that I was in danger of having a heart attack in the next 10 years.

I was probably in the pre-diabetic range long before then. When I got online access to my test results they show that I had readings of 47 for 3 years prior to becoming T2.

I think when I was working in a fairly physical job and walking 3 miles to work every day it kept my bgs down, but when I retired, became more sedentary, and ate and drank more beer, it pushed me over the threshold.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people whizz through Pre-D in months on their way to T2.
Other's (like myself) see it coming.

I was told I had Pre-D in around 1997 when they noticed it while diagnosing something else. I was 30.
However, I suspect (am 100% certain) that my blood glucose levels had been dysregulated for many years before that.

Since then, my blood glucose has risen to T2 levels (in around 2012), jangled about a bit, dropped back to Pre-D and now into 'normal'.
All thanks to low carbing.

It doesn't have to be a one way street, but it depends on a number of factors.

Last edited:

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with prediabetes age 36 when I finally went to the doctors. I hated going to the doctors as every problem I had was blamed on my obesity and very little help or diagnosis was offered for my PCOS symptoms.

I had been experiencing hypo like symptoms for about 10 years. When changing diet to low sugar, increasing exercise did not improve matters and it was affecting my work, I made a GP appointment expecting to be diagnosed with diabetes not realising the hypo's I had seen as child in family members were due to insulin medication.

I have online access to my medical records and found my HBA1C at 33 was normal when tested around age 29 following a move to my current surgery.

Thanks to the advice and knowledge on this forum, I was able to stop the symptoms with a lower carb diet, 6 stone weight loss and prevent progression to a type 2 diagnosis for 6 years.

Reactions: Prem51

Chez31

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lilylab,
I had my first abnormal HbA1c at 58 yrs old in February this year .

Reactions: Prem51