Stress And Glucose Monitor Readings!!!

Ciara86

Hi everyone i am newly diagnosed and trying to find my way. So i have to check my blood glucose before i eat and an hour after - is the timing of this strict or what if ur late by like 10/15 mins?? (im 30 weeks pregnant also) an hard to manage this with work

I tested mine before breakfast was 5.3 (recommended level has to be 5.3 or below) had 2 weetabix with seminskimmed milk an sugar free lemon juice. I got abit stressed through work an wn i tested exactly 1 hr later i went up to 8.1 ( i meed to be 7.8 or below) i was curious how stress affects this so when inwas calmer 10 mins later i retested and was 7.0. Is this normal?? Does stress play a factor?? Or does it just take my body slightly over an hr to reduce down??

Any thoughts are most welcome :) thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weetabix isn't doing you anything favours, check the carbs on the packet. Also the skinnier the milk the more carbs. It also contains lactose, not a friend of diabetics. Stress can certainly affect your numbers.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Stress is a factor, but what you are eating is a bigger factor. Cereals for breakfast are a complete no no for many of us. Omelettes with various fillings, made while the kettle is boiling, natural yoghurts with a few berries are all better options for keeping bg lower.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The timing is odd - usually the testing time is two hours after starting to eat.
Stress will affect your BG reading as your liver will react by releasing glucose in case you need to fight or flee from danger.
However - after eating the weetabix, which are a high carb food, with the sugary liquids - milk contains lactose, and lemon juice contains fructose (the label probably said no added sugar - they like a joke) you are bound to see a rise which 'normal' testing might well miss as it is rapid, causes the release of insulin and so, if you are lucky it drops again fairly swiftly.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
The weetabix will send your blood sugar up, but yes, stress can affect it. Probably need to test after 2 hours.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone i am newly diagnosed and trying to find my way. So i have to check my blood glucose before i eat and an hour after - is the timing of this strict or what if ur late by like 10/15 mins?? (im 30 weeks pregnant also) an hard to manage this with work

I tested mine before breakfast was 5.3 (recommended level has to be 5.3 or below) had 2 weetabix with seminskimmed milk an sugar free lemon juice. I got abit stressed through work an wn i tested exactly 1 hr later i went up to 8.1 ( i meed to be 7.8 or below) i was curious how stress affects this so when inwas calmer 10 mins later i retested and was 7.0. Is this normal?? Does stress play a factor?? Or does it just take my body slightly over an hr to reduce down??

Any thoughts are most welcome :) thanks

Ciara - Your profile doesn't indicate your type of diabetes, but if I recall you have gestational diabetes?

It would be very helpful to display that, plus any medication you are taking, so that members can tailor their responses, as it can make a difference.

To change those settings, just go to your account in your browser, and you'll see the options listed.

In terms of testing, in general, the important thing is to be consistent, rather than 5 minutes being critical in terms of what the numbers say. Where we are consistent, we can then compare one set of ouro wn figures against another set of our own figures. Comparing with others doesn't necessarily tell us anything about ourselves.

So, do try to be consistent, and you'll lear which, if any foods, you really need to be very careful of. To be honest, learning the bad news (the higher numbers) is what informs us. Seeing the good numbers just tell us that's OK. If you get my gist.

I appreciate it's easy for me to urge you not to be stressed by it, but it is what it is, and at least when you test, you know what "it" is. :)

D

Deleted Account

There are two things to remember with BG:
- we are all different. What may cause one of us to have raised BG may have no effect on someone else. So, if you find Weetabix has little affect for you, carry on eating it. The only way to tell is to test as you are.
- there are many things which effect BG - food, alcohol, stress, hormones, time of day, temperature, exercise, drugs, weather, ... So, if you find your BG has risen (or lowered) more than you expect, consider what else may be impacting it. It could be a stressful meeting or it could be the run for the bus.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
1 slice of brown bread sends my levels up so think a weetabix will to however I do like weetabix but prefer to have two if I eat it , will have to try it

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The timing is odd - usually the testing time is two hours after starting to eat.
Stress will affect your BG reading as your liver will react by releasing glucose in case you need to fight or flee from danger.
However - after eating the weetabix, which are a high carb food, with the sugary liquids - milk contains lactose, and lemon juice contains fructose (the label probably said no added sugar - they like a joke) you are bound to see a rise which 'normal' testing might well miss as it is rapid, causes the release of insulin and so, if you are lucky it drops again fairly swiftly.
Hi @Resurgam, Research has apparently shown that with pregnancy BSLS tend to peak 60 minutes after meals rather than the 90 minutes + (= 120 minutes for most).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Resurgam, Research has apparently shown that with pregnancy BSLS tend to peak 60 minutes after meals rather than the 90 minutes + (= 120 minutes for most).

Could you share the source of that statement Kitedoc? I'd be genuinely interested to read up on it, bearing in mind we have a few ladies come on when they have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

Thanks!

Ciara86

Thanks everyone i was thinking weetabix or oatabix was a safe option its really trying to find something for breakfast when in work rushing... what kind of things do you take for breakfast?? Looking ideas on something that doesnt take time to prepare

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not the peak you are testing for at 2 hours but your recovery from the peak. A non diabetic might peak at 1 hour but be back to pre meal levels at 2 hours.

Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Could you share the source of that statement Kitedoc? I'd be genuinely interested to read up on it, bearing in mind we have a few ladies come on when they have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

Thanks!
Thank you DCUKMod, I cannot recall it off hand but @Diakat mentioned it some time ago in a post to me. But Guidelines.co.uk Diabetes UK Pregnant with Diabetes Guidelines 1 June 2010 quote recommended levels of in mmol/l of capillary whole blood glucose before meals <5.9 , 1 hour after meals < 7.8, and for capillary plasma before meals < 4.4.-6.1 and 1 hour after < 8.6.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
It is not the peak you are testing for at 2 hours but your recovery from the peak. A non diabetic might peak at 1 hour but be back to pre meal levels at 2 hours.
With respect the blood glucose profile for pregnant diabetics has been found to be different to those non-pregnant. I apologise for not having the research reference but I have referenced a guidelines site in response to DCUKMod below. Cheers !

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Thank you DCUKMod, I cannot recall it off hand but @Diakat mentioned it some time ago in a post to me. But Guidelines.co.uk Diabetes UK Pregnant with Diabetes Guidelines 1 June 2010 quote recommended levels of in mmol/l of capillary whole blood glucose before meals <5.9 , 1 hour after meals < 7.8, and for capillary plasma before meals < 4.4.-6.1 and 1 hour after < 8.6.
Hello @DCUKMod and @kitedoc I don't recall making that statement and can't fond it in my past posts, but I have previously linked to GD info on this site and Tommy's.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With respect the blood glucose profile for pregnant diabetics has been found to be different to those non-pregnant. I apologise for not having the research reference but I have referenced a guidelines site in response to DCUKMod below. Cheers !
I don't know about the special case for pregnant diabetics. My comment was in response to @kitedoc 's remark that the peak for most was at 90 to 120 mins.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I don't know about the special case for pregnant diabetics. My comment was in response to @kitedoc 's remark that the peak for most was at 90 to 120 mins.
Agreed, but I did state that it as 60 minutes for pregnant diabetics.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed, but I did state that it as 60 minutes for pregnant diabetics.
That is exactly my point, the peak for non pregnant diabetics and for the population in general is 60 mins.

cassie091

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone i was thinking weetabix or oatabix was a safe option its really trying to find something for breakfast when in work rushing... what kind of things do you take for breakfast?? Looking ideas on something that doesnt take time to prepare
Try Porridge but without sugar.