Blood Glucose Meters And Apps

Wilko 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
First post from a newly diagnosed. Self diagnosed whilst away in South Africa and purchased a meter that had bluetooth and it was easy to log all info. Coming back to the UK seems a total nightmare.

Have a Freestyle Optimum Neo which although will upload to my Mac, won't share data with iPhone.

Can anyone recommend an app or meter that works together with both Mac and iPhone Please?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
As I understand Apple devices they are often problematic when trying to connect via bluetooth to a non-Apple device.

This is because Apple has chosen to restrict the usability (presumably to increase sales of other Apple products) by not using internationally agreed bluetooth exchange protocols. Notably, something called OBEX (OBject EXchange) is missing from Apple firmware although I believe that you can obtain an unofficial version.

Reactions: Flora123

Wilko 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
As I understand Apple devices they are often problematic when trying to connect via bluetooth to a non-Apple device.

This is because Apple has chosen to restrict the usability (presumably to increase sales of other Apple products) by not using internationally agreed bluetooth exchange protocols. Notably, something called OBEX (OBject EXchange) is missing from Apple firmware although I believe that you can obtain an unofficial version.

Thank you for the reply. The bluetooth was fantastic, but I can't purchase the strips here.

I have been to the clinic and have been told to write it all down.... seems hard work when computers can show the results more meaningfully and you can add any notes that maybe of significance.

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Using an app on you iPhone to save the results would probably work for you. I use mysugr and MyNetDiaryD, linked together to keep track of BG and diet. There are other apps that are popular on here also, a search for “app” should bring up treads with apps discussed.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thank you for the reply. The bluetooth was fantastic, but I can't purchase the strips here.

I have been to the clinic and have been told to write it all down.... seems hard work when computers can show the results more meaningfully and you can add any notes that maybe of significance.

OK but in your opening post you wrote "Have a Freestyle Optimum Neo which although will upload to my Mac, won't share data with iPhone." so I assumed you had connectivity issues?

Agree with @Canvaspic - there are many apps for logging blood glucose available.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi welcome to the forum, tagging @daisy1 for a new member post for you.

Have a look at the contour next one meter which might meet your needs as it store the data on the cloud, whatever that is.

Reactions: porl69

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Wilko 2, You say that you are self-diagnosed. Perhaps obtaining a confirmation from a doctor is worthwhile ? Also if your diabetes is confirmed, there may be other tests, examinations helpful in ensuring that your health has not been affected by the time your condition has been undiagnosed for and to provide a baseline for future.

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a Apple fanboi :) I use a Contour Next One meter. The companion app on the iPhone is quite simply great. Instant readings for averages over 7, 14, 30 and 90 days. It allows you to add what type of reading it has downloaded from the meter, wake up, before eating, after eating and fasting, All done over Bluetooth.

It's simple to use, you do pay more than other makes for the test strips though.

Wilko 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Wilko 2, You say that you are self-diagnosed. Perhaps obtaining a confirmation from a doctor is worthwhile ? Also if your diabetes is confirmed, there may be other tests, examinations helpful in ensuring that your health has not been affected by the time your condition has been undiagnosed for and to provide a baseline for future.
Yes I realise I hadn't made myself clear. I had come back to UK in August 2017 complaining of low energy, thirsty and just feeling like I was dragging myself around, Having had Malaria, my GP put it down to that. Returning to Africa, by March I figured it out and brought a testing machine and found a Doctor and my BG was 30.

Coming back to UK to get more tests in April, my HbA1c was 106 but my blood sugars were then between 4-8 so GP referred me to diabetes clinic

Just had another HbA1c of 43

Wilko 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I am a Apple fanboi :) I use a Contour Next One meter. The companion app on the iPhone is quite simply great. Instant readings for averages over 7, 14, 30 and 90 days. It allows you to add what type of reading it has downloaded from the meter, wake up, before eating, after eating and fasting, All done over Bluetooth.

It's simple to use, you do pay more than other makes for the test strips though.
Thank you...this is what I was looking for!

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Amboseli and the Mara. This will be my 4th time in Kenya and I am very much looking forward to it.