Ramipril

supersonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since being diagnosed 8 weeks ago I have been seeing the DN every 2 weeks
Each visit has resulted in an increase in the dose on my Ramipril, which is now 10mg
Its this normal?

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thats the dose I take though I think I was just put on the full dose.. I'm not entirely sure why I take it.. god that sounds thick but I was put on it years ago to help keep my blood pressure down to help prevent further damage to my kidneys and since then have come off one medication completely and only take a quarter of the other one but this one just stuck, I must ask.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was put on Ramipiril by a hospital consultant. I know that the Patient information leaflet inside the packet of tablets advised that doctors would start a patient on a low dose and increase it gradually. That sounds like what is happening here. Have you looked at the leaflet inside the packet, supersonic ? This drug is one of those used to lower blood pressure.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Ramipril for my blood pressure, I was on another BP med as well before I lost weight and my BP dropped. However Ramipril has a protective effect on kidneys so I’m happy to stay on it.

Reactions: Terrytiddy

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on ramipril to protect my kidneys - no high blood pressure, in fact it can be low on occasion, I started off on 1.25, then went up to 2.5 - at my clinic the nurse said they like to put all diabetics on ramipril to protect the kidneys upping the dose to 10mg over time, I declined any more than the 2.5 as I feel I don't need it and in fact I'm of the option that my blood pressure would then become too low

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Two points. It looks like Ramipril can cause kidney problems for some rather than protecting them. I'm going by info on the web and not an expert but it looks like the drug may not necessarily protect the kidneys unless it is also reducing blood pressure into a good region? My diabetes GP prescribed the drug a few years back when my BP in the surgery went above 140. Since then I have taken my own measurements at home and found that I am always below 140 and often below 130 when I stopped using the drug for awhile so I asked to come off the Ramipril. I ask my DN to average my results and put those on my health record which works well.