Got Fed Up And Fell Off The Wagon

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love Lindt 90% chocolate - rarely have any other. I know it is a bit of an acquired taste but its worth getting used to it as it is quite low carb and two squares suffices my choc cravings.

Jaz006

I LOVE falling off the wagon occasionally. Because I've been so good for 8 weeks.... I deserve it.

Don't beat yourself up about it. You're only human. Take your time and make the changes slowly, it's more natural that way and you're more likely to stick to it. Good luck :)

Reactions: Serena51

nomorechoccy

my first day without muesli. I have just had a Belvita soft bake breakfast bar. Quite nice but doesn't seem as filling as the muesli. Not sure what effect not having the milk will have maybe I need to drink a glass.

Any of you guys use these belvita products.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my first day without muesli. I have just had a Belvita soft bake breakfast bar. Quite nice but doesn't seem as filling as the muesli. Not sure what effect not having the milk will have maybe I need to drink a glass.

Are you sure this little bar is a good choice for breakfast. It contains 33g carbs which is more than I eat in a day. It cant be very filling either. Many supermarkets now do great individual deli items with a few days shelf life eg. Cold meats, cold hard boiled eggs, small cheeses. Eg. You could have cold egg and a pack of precooked bacon or ham and it would be hardly any carbs and would be more filling. Just an idea!

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you sure this little bar is a good choice for breakfast. It contains 33g carbs which is more than I eat in a day. It cant be very filling either. Many supermarkets now do great individual deli items with a few days shelf life eg. Cold meats, cold hard boiled eggs, small cheeses. Eg. You could have cold egg and a pack of precooked bacon or ham and it would be hardly any carbs and would be more filling. Just an idea!
I'm sure they also have a lot of sugar in them @PenguinMum :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I'm going to fall off the wagon it's chocolate that would be the cause. Any recommendations on choc I'd be ok to have the odd square or two of?
Montezuma's Absolute Black is 100% cocoa and only 8g carbs per 100g. I think this is the lowest carb chocolate available.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/montezuma-absolute-black-100%-cocoa-100g
The snag is, only half the bar is divided into squares, so breaking and portioning out the other half is problematical. I did actually email them to complain about this, but got only a token response. I have now settled for Café Chocolat 100% cocoa chocolate drops. These are 10g carbs per 100g, but portioning them out is so easy. I allow myself 5 a day (or a few more if I am being really active). You can buy a 230g packet for £6, or 2 for £10 and I have been able to find vouchers on the internet which reduce the price further. I suspect that once one has got used to the strong, treacly taste of 100% all other chocolate risks being a disappointment.
https://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/100-dark-chocolate-drops.html

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Have you tried full fat Greek yoghurt and berries?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a pack of precooked bacon or ham and it would be hardly any carbs
Yes, but always look at the label, as I believe sometimes flour is used to stop the slices sticking together. I have read posts on this Forum by unwary people complaining they had been spiked because they had not expected this.

Jaz006

A little bit of what you fancy does you good. I would be hungry if I had a breakfast cereal bar. Scrambled egg Or eggs and bacon is a winner everytime. That or canned fish on wholemeal rustic bread. Today's topping was a slice of salami.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are probably hungry because you aren't getting enough protein and fat with the breakfast bar.

I second the recommendation for greek yogurt (unflavoured) and berries. I also have low sodium ham and/or cheese, eggs (I add a bit of red bell pepper to the eggs), a few nuts (avoid cashews) as well as leftovers (I've never been traditional about breakfast) . I also have low carb/low sugar homemade squares (which are mostly nuts) if I'm in real hurry. I find wheat spikes my blood sugar so I avoid cereal, toast & commercial breakfast/snack bars (along with the sugar).

nomorechoccy

Interesting you say avoid cashew nuts I have been eating 2 packetts a week thought they would be good for me. I am getting it all wrong.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting you say avoid cashew nuts I have been eating 2 packetts a week thought they would be good for me. I am getting it all wrong.
no you're not, you're just learning :) My Mum used to say 'we learn by our mistakes, if we never got anything wrong we would never learn anything new' :)

nomorechoccy

Good news just used a diastix and it has given lowest reading I have see indicating a figure of 5, not sure exactly what this is the writing on the tube is so small but must be right direction.

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Great news about the reading.

Please don't be hard on yourself about not knowing things, as zand says you're learning.

The only reason I knew that cashews were not a good choice is because I have a close friend with Type 2 diabetes who was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago. She saw a dietician (who supports a lower carb lifestyle for people with diabetes Type 2). who gave my friends lists of "red light", "yellow light" and "green light" foods - cashews were on the "yellow list". I She gave me a copy of the materials and told me about cashews (which I love BTW). My friend has seen a significant improvement with her glucose blood levels (and elimination of most of her meds) eating this way so I decided to follow it as well.

I realize that not everyone has the advantage of an experienced resource to ask questions (and I've called her often the last 5 weeks with questions.)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just want to say I'm glad I'm not the only one to get fed up with veggies. Unfortunately the only ones I really like are the "bad" ones, carrots and beets. I was doing well eating green above-ground ones, then just hit the wall and couldn't take any more.
I also fell off the wagon, straight into a pizza. I'm trying to climb back on now, eating stir-fry beef for supper tonight; had meatballs for breakfast and no-bun hamburger for lunch. Back to a salad tomorrow, I hope.

bigsi1984

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have had some success since diagnosis and my diet has changed to LCHF. However, I do not restrict myself when I go out for a meal or a family celebration. I try to make better choices, such as a mixed grill, but I will have the chips. Once a month or so I will have a kebab or pizza when the family gets a take-away and I do test regularly.

For me the odd day here and there does not negatively impact my overall results. I think what people here have said is right though, it's the getting started that can be hard. For me I did things in small steps, for example I started by changing mainly my breakfasts and then included lunch and worked up to dinner.

Snack wise, almonds are my go to and there are studies that show a small amount of almonds after a meal can contribute to lowering spikes. In terms of chocolate I have two squares of Lindt 90% per day, usually with almonds as it tastes great. I made the mistake on holiday in June of buying some Lindt 99%. That's full on! However when I got back my 90% tasted like Cadburys by comparison. Lol!

Defo get a meter and test, that way you can figure out the foods you can enjoy. Also there are some great alternatives available cheaply. I buy green rice from Iceland that takes 3 minutes in the microwave. It is broccoli, kale, spinach, sewaeed and cauliflower blitzed up. If I have a curry I have it with green rice and it tastes the same as for me rice is just there for texture. Come to think of it I don't know anyone that 'enjoys' white rice as more than filler.

Morrisons sell a ready meal that I use for lunch some days called Eat Smart Counted Roast Chicken Dinner. It's chicken in gravy with carrots, peas and 3 new potatoes. It comes with a stuffing ball but I bin that. The whole thing (including stuffing ball) is 15g carbs. It scratches a potato itch and I cover all the veg in butter to make it extra tasty. My BS goes up 1 mmol after 2 hours. Worth checking out if you can.

bigsi1984

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I love Lindt 90% chocolate - rarely have any other. I know it is a bit of an acquired taste but its worth getting used to it as it is quite low carb and two squares suffices my choc cravings.
Try it with almonds! Its amazing! Two almonds and a little nibble off a square.

I'm hungry now!

Reactions: Rustytypin

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BS goes up 1 mmol after 2 hours.
Sorry to be a killjoy, but if I get a really low reading at 2 hours I test again at 3. Still low? Try again at 4. Fatty meals can take longer to digest and show up on a meter, and there is also the problem of delayed stomach emptying (gastroparesis, which I understand is a common diabetic complication). I experience this myself and it causes me to use a lot of strips. I can even see a lower reading at 2 hours than before my meal. Dr Bernstein says this problem can be resolved by years of perfect bgs, but perfect bgs seem to be beyond my possibilities.