Can Fresh Fruit Be A Problem?

purplesally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My sugar was higher than normal first thing before breakfast at 10.2 and its usually in the 5s, I re tested two hours later and it was down to 6.2. After my evening meal of home cooked fish &chips peas, tomatoes and mushroom and the strawberries with sweetener I test 2 hrs after having taken my meds with the meal and it was 15.3 never had such a high reading and has worried me.

I'm T1 but my bod doesn't like pea's and mushrooms. I can eat strawberries for ever without a problem. Now I'm getting sick of them, never thought that would happen!

Anjery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
View attachment 27970 Much depends on how many you eat as well as the carb content. Strawberries are relatively low carb but cherries are higher carb - almost twice that of strawberries. We are all different in our reactions to specific foods/fruits, but I wouldn't in your case draw a conclusion from the result of a single test.
Hi, does that mean bananas are highest in sugars? Not sure what chart numbers actually are. Sorry to be dim

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, does that mean bananas are highest in sugars? Not sure what chart numbers actually are. Sorry to be dim
Yes. My fault, I forgot to add that the chart showed grams of carbs per 100 gm of fruit/berries.
The link that @Brunneria posted probably show things in an easier interpreted format.

Anjery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes. My fault, I forgot to add that the chart showed grams of carbs per 100 gm of fruit/berries.
The link that @Brunneria posted probably show things in an easier interpreted format.
Thank you. Banana sandwiches (on wholemeal bread) are my 'go to' lunches most days. I struggle with other health/mobility problems so easy foods are a must. My latest hba1c was 92 so dr not happy with me (nor I with myself). Genuinely don't know why so high tho. On metformin and sitaglyptin. Waiting for appt to discuss an additional tablet

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Banana sandwiches (on wholemeal bread) are my 'go to' lunches most days. I struggle with other health/mobility problems so easy foods are a must.
I would think banana sandwiches might be why your latest HbA1c was 92. Have you thought about eating fewer carbs? I have a salad for lunch with cheese, tuna, avocado. Most supermarkets stock low carb soups say 10 to 12 gm carb per 300ml portion. These are relatively easy meals.

Karenlb72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
after keeping quite a good control on my blood sugar levels, I am on Metformin and Gliclazide my evening blood sugar reading has leapt to 15.3, I did have strawberries for dessert I tested after 2 hrs but have never had a reading that high before. I did do a lot of gardening today and felt very tired afterwards just wondered if strawberries and cherries are a no no with type 2
Hi, I'm type 1, and for days my readings were showing as HI on reader. Worked out it was the strawberries, went for days feeling ******. Least I now know

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got caught out a couple of times. One certain supermarket seems to give me problems in particular, and I now avoid their home branded goods like the plague since it seems they add something to the food that my body does not like. I have had bad readings from their sausages, their fruit, and frozen veg such as sweetcorn. I do not get this problem from other shops where I buy similar items, so it may just be down to where you buy things. Note: the sugar listing on the packet is only sucralose content, so they can ignore things like maltose dextrose, malitol, but should list them in any ingredients list. However, things like meat, fish, fruit and veg do not need an ingredients list unless they are coated. We know that things like chicken are often with added water, so why not sugar water to make the strawberries sweeter? No proof they do this, just my suspicion following unexplained bgl rises. I was surprised that faggots were bad for me, but then I discovered they add Malitol.

Last edited:

KGP

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reverse Your Diabetes by Dr David Cavan is a good intro to managing diabetes and diet. Good basic information.
Thanks for that information, I have bought the book and it is really helpful and so easy to read

Reactions: miahara

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. Banana sandwiches (on wholemeal bread) are my 'go to' lunches most days. I struggle with other health/mobility problems so easy foods are a must. My latest hba1c was 92 so dr not happy with me (nor I with myself). Genuinely don't know why so high tho. On metformin and sitaglyptin. Waiting for appt to discuss an additional tablet
If I ate a banana or bread of any kind my BG would rocket, as I suspect would most folk's.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi depends what you eat the fructose component goes directly into the liver and produces liver fat and its impact does affect one in the long run but it doesn't immediately affect b.g.,!
The glucose component of say a banana has a big effect on my blood glucose so although I like them I would not touch them and not wash my hands before I checked my b.g.:)
D.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi depends what you eat the fructose component goes directly into the liver and produces liver fat and its impact does affect one in the long run but it doesn't immediately affect b.g.,!
The glucose component of say a banana has a big effect on my blood glucose so although I like them I would not touch them and not wash my hands before I checked my b.g.:)
D.
Agree. The advice I have seen is that the riper the fruit the more glucose it contains, so green ones are better than the black ones for diabetics. The same goes for most fruits I think. Go green if you can.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree. The advice I have seen is that the riper the fruit the more glucose it contains, so green ones are better than the black ones for diabetics. The same goes for most fruits I think. Go green if you can.
On the other hand, the riper ones taste better in my opinion. So I choose very little of ripe fruit instead of a bit more of green.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the other hand, the riper ones taste better in my opinion. So I choose very little of ripe fruit instead of a bit more of green.
Those taking Insulin have the opportunity to bolus or correct for high sugars, Moi, as a T2D on orals, does not have that luxury, so must make do and mend.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Those taking Insulin have the opportunity to bolus or correct for high sugars, Moi, as a T2D on orals, does not have that luxury, so must make do and mend.
I understand, and I didn't mean to speak about things I don't know about, being on insulin.
I only meant that if your meter says you can have for instance 3 unripe cherries/bites of melon/apple/grapes/whatever, you might choose to have one bite/piece of ripe fruit instead.
I'm on insulin, but I found it impossible to bolus for more than a few bites of fruit without a spike. So I don't have more than a couple of bites, and only when I'm lowish. The rest is for the guinea-pigs.

Reactions: Oldvatr