60kg Overweight

N

nicbarnett

Hi everyone, I got weighed at the Drs today and got told I am 60kg overweight, I have always known I was overweight but why had it taken until now for a Dr to tell me? I have been offered the Slimming World 12 week free membership but I’m scared and wondering what else may work?
Type 1 36 years
Basal/Bolus

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, I got weighed at the Drs today and got told I am 60kg overweight, I have always known I was overweight but why had it taken until now for a Dr to tell me? I have been offered the Slimming World 12 week free membership but I’m scared and wondering what else may work?
Type 1 36 years
Basal/Bolus
Hi @nicbarnett is that according to the "BMI" chart? IMO is a chart that does not take into account things like age and body type. I go by how I feel, I'm very comfortable at 18 stone so that's where I'm aiming. Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) and intermittent fasting works for me. I'm type 2 but "well controlled" Not sure how it works for type 1 but I'm sure someone will help you. Good luck with whatever you decide.:)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Others might well NOT have told you for fear of causing offence. I wouldn't be blaming the doc

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's about 9 stone isn't it?, I would have thought that anybody 9 stone overweight (regardless of body shape) would know they are overweight, I wonder if that is also why Drs may not say anything. Nic, I am sure you know this as you are posting on here and wanting to do something about it, so good luck.

Reactions: Prem51
N

nicbarnett

I know I’m overweight I don’t really know why I put this in the message, I’m just wondering if sw is the best way to lose the weight or can anyone recommend another way ?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried all sorts of diet clubs decades ago - on some regimes I put on weight or saw no loss at all - I was told that I was doing it wrong. I was told to go away at several of them.
The only way I could maintain my weight was reducing the carbs - to lose weight I needed to eat low carb and more fat.
It was never popular and I was told many times that it was dangerous, even that I should be forced to eat properly - but once Dr Atkins 'New Diet Revolution' was available I felt vindicated and managed to continue low carb for a long time, until my cholesterol suddenly became a problem.
I want to be at least 100 lb down from my heaviest weight, maybe 120, but most of all I want normal blood glucose levels.
For me it is just a batter of eating omelettes and salads - no hardship this weather - but you would need to adjust your insulin levels down to cope - and change the amount of carbs little by little if you chose to go the low carb route. It is, however, a permanent change if you want to maintain the weightloss then you can't return to a 'normal' diet as that is what got you into the fix in the first place.

Reactions: nicbarnett

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you think it was a problem or just the HCP's? And how much of a problem?
I think that my age was the trigger, and menopause (they were really miffed that I did not want HRT as I had no problems) Extra test were added to the annual one for thyroid levels, and they wanted me to alter from Atkins to regular doses of carbs.
I was never given any numbers, just told that it was wrong. As the years passed the HCPs became more insistent that my cholesterol was wrong.
When diagnosed I burnt the diet sheets in the garden.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 1 36 years
Basal/Bolus
I'm not a Type 1 so feel free to ignore this completely..
Would I be correct in thinking you have a fairly carb heavy diet at the moment? If so you may find that reducing your carb intake may have a positive effect on weight. It certainly did for me and I'm guessing we are starting from a similar weight position. I used to be about 146kg and am now down to 97.5kg. Obviously you will need to monitor your insulin usage if you decide to reduce carbs but many people have reported that this too means fewer hypers and hypos so it could be a double whammy benefit. There are a few Type 1 low carb groups around like the facebook group "typeonegrit" that might be worth joining up with if you want to give it a try.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that my age was the trigger, and menopause (they were really miffed that I did not want HRT as I had no problems) Extra test were added to the annual one for thyroid levels, and they wanted me to alter from Atkins to regular doses of carbs.
I was never given any numbers, just told that it was wrong. As the years passed the HCPs became more insistent that my cholesterol was wrong.
When diagnosed I burnt the diet sheets in the garden.
So you simply don't worry about it any more I guess?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Only that I liked to see the nurse spitting feathers during the first few months when they were taking an interest in medicating me to the hilt and I was seeing lower numbers each time whilst eating according to Atkins.
I think I might be either regressing to a teenager or becoming a wicked old woman - or maybe both.....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Type 1 36 years
Basal/Bolus

Hi, whether or not a person is diabetic or not, losing weight is so beneficial to the body and the person's emotional well being. A free 12 week membership, sounds great, go for it, if it doesn't help or you don't like it, you can always try something else.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a free 12 week membership of SW 4 years ago. I only used it as an incentive to keep on track because of the weigh-in every week. I found they were very vague as regards diabetes back then, though this might have changed. I told my doctor I would be following LCHF because the low fat SW diet didn't suit me (I had done WW previously) Back then if you had lost more than 5% of your body weight after 12 weeks you could have another free 12 weeks, which I did.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type 1 36 years
Basal/Bolus

I am a member at slimming world and I am type one and it works well for me. I do have both a pump and a libre which means that I can adjust my insulin quickly to match my needs. It's very flexible, it's totally incorrect to think that you have to stuff your face with pasta and carbs all day, you can make it suit you. I never eat pasta, but I do eat rice and potatoes, lots and lots of veg and fruit. I eat an average of around 80g carbs per day around 25ish per meal and at least half of it made up by fruit. You may as well try it what do you have to lose, it works if you follow the plan.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am a member at slimming world and I am type one and it works well for me. I do have both a pump and a libre which means that I can adjust my insulin quickly to match my needs. It's very flexible, it's totally incorrect to think that you have to stuff your face with pasta and carbs all day, you can make it suit you. I never eat pasta, but I do eat rice and potatoes, lots and lots of veg and fruit. I eat an average of around 80g carbs per day around 25ish per meal and at least half of it made up by fruit. You may as well try it what do you have to lose, it works if you follow the plan.

The difference being that little thing called insulin resistance. And fruit for many, many of those with T2 and insulin resistance should be limited.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know I’m overweight I don’t really know why I put this in the message, I’m just wondering if sw is the best way to lose the weight or can anyone recommend another way ?
Hi
Well at least you are already diabetic ...but if you are type 1 and eating the standard high carb diet you will likely have been taking increasing amounts of insulin to keep your blood sugars in range. This could have developed into 'double diabetes' i.e. type 1 with insulin resistance, If your fat is mainly stored on your trunk then this could be the case. I am surprised the doctor hasn't mentioned this sooner. How is your diabetic control in general? What is your motivation for losing the weight? (other than not being told off by the doc).
It may be useful to check your waist size and aim to reduce that rather than focus on the scales if your aim is to be healthy rather than skinny. Your waist should be half your height.
As to Slimming World, it is a low fat but high carb diet plan so I personally think the low carb plans suggested on this site or on DietDoctor will be more helpful and easier to stick to. That said SW offers social support and you will end up eating plenty of veg and fruit so it may well be a big improvement for you personally.
Be aware though that your insulin needs will drop if you lose any weight or go lower carb so more testing and dose adjustment will be needed. Check out the success stories here.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The difference being that little thing called insulin resistance. And fruit for many, many of those with T2 and insulin resistance should be limited.

The OP is a T1 as am, I eat food that keeps my blood sugar in range along with the insulin I take, and whilst I would never eat grapes and would only eat an orange as part of a meal - many other fruits are absolutely fine apples, bananas, cherries, mangoes, pinepapple, raspberries are the main ones I eat.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Well at least you are already diabetic ...but if you are type 1 and eating the standard high carb diet you will likely have been taking increasing amounts of insulin to keep your blood sugars in range. This could have developed into 'double diabetes' i.e. type 1 with insulin resistance, If your fat is mainly stored on your trunk then this could be the case. I am surprised the doctor hasn't mentioned this sooner. How is your diabetic control in general? What is your motivation for losing the weight? (other than not being told off by the doc).
It may be useful to check your waist size and aim to reduce that rather than focus on the scales if your aim is to be healthy rather than skinny. Your waist should be half your height.
As to Slimming World, it is a low fat but high carb diet plan so I personally think the low carb plans suggested on this site or on DietDoctor will be more helpful and easier to stick to. That said SW offers social support and you will end up eating plenty of veg and fruit so it may well be a big improvement for you personally.
Be aware though that your insulin needs will drop if you lose any weight or go lower carb so more testing and dose adjustment will be needed. Check out the success stories here.

Slimming World does not have to be high carb, I eat about 80g carbs a day - I wouldn't say that is particularly high probably on the low side for most people.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The OP is a T1 as am, I eat food that keeps my blood sugar in range along with the insulin I take, and whilst I would never eat grapes and would only eat an orange as part of a meal - many other fruits are absolutely fine apples, bananas, cherries, mangoes, pinepapple, raspberries are the main ones I eat.

I was under the impression that those with T1 also had to be aware of insulin resistance? Though rare in T1 it can and does happen.