Holiday

Tonto73

Also don’t worry about security. I’m in the air almost every week and they are always totally cool with my stash of pump supplies, pens etc. I’ve has a Freestyle Libre for a while and Enlite sensors beforehand ( and a pump ) and they know what everything is and they see it every day. Most often they are more worried about a belt or heavy shoes. When I’m in Denmark they don’t even expect me to take the pump off ( UK is a little more restrictive ).

US immigration is also fine. They understand you needs meds and diabetic gear - just keep your meds in your hand luggage and a copy of your prescription. ( if you loose your meds you’ll find a Dr in the US that can write you a new prescription ).

It’s a big world and there are lots of Diabetics out there enjoying it ;-)

Irishoutlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant People.
I can only speak for myself and would say that I have to disagree with the above poster Tonto73 in regards to the DR situation asI had a lot of difficulties 2 years ago when I left my insulin at home when traveling to the US (Left it on kitchen counter by accident) . I have not been a diabetic for long and was still getting used to the situation. It was my third trip to America as a diabetic and as per most recommendations I carried a letter from the DR and a copy of my prescription that I got from my diabetic day center. When I arrived on the Saturday afternoon I discovered my error and started to panic. No Dr where opened till the Monday so I had to wait and ate very little as a result. On the Monday Morning I went to 4 different DR surgeries. No Dr would even discuss the issue with me and all stated I had to go to an ER. I eventually for an very understanding Endocrinologist who's practice was open on the Monday. He was happy to write a script for the insulin (Apidra nad Levimere) and needles needed (Old school syringe an bottle) In all it cost me $800 USD to get a 2 week supply of insulin. It was $100 USD to see the guy and $700 for Meds. So things to brings are a letter from GP explaining your condition and a copy of your script. I also have VHI insurance covered by my company but would recommend that you get some sort of coverage.

My rule of thumb from now on is always check my bags to ensure I have everything. I will also be in New England myself for 2 weeks in Mid Sept. Its a beautiful place at this time of year as the leaves start to turn. Enjoy yourself.

donnieboy

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi All,

I've been diabetic for 20 years and have always been a little reluctant to go abroad, however this September i am lucky enough to be going to New England, USA for 3 weeks.

I know i will require a letter from my GP for my medication, but can anyone advise if i require anything else, any recommendations for travel insurance? Is a letter all i need? i'm a very nervous person when it comes to traveling and going through airport security, just purely because of the diabetes.

thank you for any help,

Jon

Great time to visit New England! If you are a pump user, contact the manufacturer for a loaner pump to take with you as a backup. I travel weekly and have never had an issue.