Is there any point to testing my blood sugar first thing in the morning?

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
It is probably best not to test in the morning when first learning! It isn't really telling you very much and may lead to stress, so possibly best avoided initially.

Thank you!

srm18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Interesting. ..im the opposite. .i check first thing in morning and before meals..as well as when driving..but rarely check 2 hours after meals... i figure the checks im doing are showing me that my insulin is working..worrying about 2 hours after is a bit late...what ive eaten is in me already ..lol..being careful with carbs ...avoiding /replacing where i can ...i eat at usually the same times every day so my pre meal reading gives me a good idea of how much insulin to take...it seems to work for me...i guess we all have our preferred ways..lol...take care all.

I'm the same as you and it works for me too!

Reactions: james11

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @fullenglish22, For those on insulin, we find fasting BSLs useful to check how our bsl/insulin balance overnight has been like. There may be several reasons for a high fasting bsl and we tend to correct them if we can.
I agree that BSL spikes after meals are important to measure and deal with, but we do not wish to have high bsls potentially for 6 to 8 hours overnight either.
I suspect the increase in use of continuous monitoring devices is partly to do with monitoring what happens whilst we sleep.
Of course where one's pancreas gland is functioning sufficiently well to not need extraneous insulin administered the emphasis is I read mainly related to meals.
The question I have is when does someone who has T2D know when they need to start to monitor their bsls more intensively or is it a matter of seeing what one's HBA1C is (provided the doctor regularly orders it) !!