My First Appointment Tomorrow

Addyb

With a nurse at my local practice. Not sure what to expect. I guess I need to make a note of some questions.
I am concerned over a strain/pressure like feeling in my left eye and I feel like I'm squinting when trying to view my monitors at work. That could be unrelated and I might just need a cheap pair of readers :)

My BP remains really high and I'm on my 3rd different medication for it.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Good luck.
Your nurse will check your blood results, do a weight/height BMI.
Check your feet.
She/he will also check your BP, pulse etc.
If your bp is still high she will refer you to your GP/dr.
You will be referred for diabetic eye screening.
Please do see an optition they will be able to help you.
Try not to worry.
Take care

Reactions: Addyb

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With a nurse at my local practice. Not sure what to expect. I guess I need to make a note of some questions.
I am concerned over a strain/pressure like feeling in my left eye and I feel like I'm squinting when trying to view my monitors at work. That could be unrelated and I might just need a cheap pair of readers :)

Hi, @Addyb
Hope you will get chance to look at this before your appointment
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/questions-to-ask-at-a-diabetes-clinic.17091/
It helps to go in with a plan.
About the squinting at monitor: It would be best to get a proper eye test at optician. People with diabetes are entitled to a free NHS test, and the glasses need not be expensive. Much better than those £1.99 ones at the supermarket, as they will be for your own unique need. Also your employer has obligations if you are using computers a lot at work.
This article may be of use... http://www.workingrights.co.uk/should-company-pay-eye-sight-tests.html
In addition, as part of your diabes care you will have an annual test for retinopathy. This will be arranged by your HCP as will foot checks and blood tests.
Hope the appointment goes well. Remember you always have help at hand here too.

Reactions: zand and Addyb

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I guess I need to make a note of some questions.

I always write what I want to say and sometimes I just hand the paper over to my GP and sometimes she even scans it into her computer. Saves time and I get more out of my 10 minutes although to be honest, she's spent 30 minutes with me before now because she knows I take a very active interest in my health.

I am concerned over a strain/pressure like feeling in my left eye and I feel like I'm squinting when trying to view my monitors at work. That could be unrelated and I might just need a cheap pair of readers

I spent the best part of my 35 years in IT in front of a monitor, it's not good for your eyes and I think seeing an optician (optometrist) would be a good idea.

Sorry to hear that, it can be so many things. Stress seems to be one thing that is overlooked, something I used to have a lot of in my working life. These days I don't even let politicians upset me, after years of practicing "how to chill" though. Newspapers are a problem though, I have to avoid them altogether.

Edit: Forgot to say, hope it goes well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipp and Addyb

Addyb

Forgot to update.

Anyway appointment went well from a moving forward perspective. The nurse was very friendly and informative. Key points revealed from my appt.

My liver levels are elevated.
Fatty liver
Cholesterol @ 14.7%
Put on 500mg metformin
Put on statins
Put on 1500 calorie a day diet
Booked for eye screening and foot check
Have to go back in 4 weeks for another check up and metformin increase.

It was an eye opener and a wake up call. I'd already started the ball rolling last week with healthier diet so I'll just carry that on. I'd like to lose at least 2 stone as well.

One thing. I've woke up this morning feeling really jittery and a dry weird taste in my mouth. Not sure if that's the metformin or something else.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Addyb
Did you ask for a print out of your results? It would help if you had the figures.
Is the recommended diet low fat?
Are you using a meter to check the effect of foods you eat on your blood glucose levels?

The dry weird taste could well be a result of meds. Monitor it and report to doc if it continues. It can take a while to get used to Metformin, and some people are better with a slow release version.

Reactions: rab5

Addyb

@Addyb
Did you ask for a print out of your results? It would help if you had the figures.
Is the recommended diet low fat?
Are you using a meter to check the effect of foods you eat on your blood glucose levels?

The dry weird taste could well be a result of meds. Monitor it and report to doc if it continues. It can take a while to get used to Metformin, and some people are better with a slow release version.

Didn't ask for results but I do know my last 2 blood tests were 54 and 59. I do have a monitor for testing. I think the main aim for the next month at least is to try and lose some weight and get used to a change in eating habits.

Although it may go against the grain on here I'm just going with what she says for now and I can discover what works for me and what doesn't. Will post updates as and when.

Reactions: Pipp

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Is it possible to let us know what in fact your diet consists of?

LCHF has worked very well with loads of people in your position. It worked wonders for me. The low fat diet is not so good imho.

Addyb

Typical diet at the moment has been.

Boiled eggs at brekkie with a coffee (semi skimmed milk)

Lunch can be chicken salad or some tuna with a sweet potato

Dinner

Some meat with veg and again either a sweet potato or without.

Snacks are a handful of unsalted mixed nuts or some blueberries/raspberries.

Like I said I've only started this week really so looking up recipes and meal ideas.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn't ask for results but I do know my last 2 blood tests were 54 and 59. I do have a monitor for testing. I think the main aim for the next month at least is to try and lose some weight and get used to a change in eating habits.

Although it may go against the grain on here I'm just going with what she says for now and I can discover what works for me and what doesn't. Will post updates as and when.
No problem with anyone finding a way that works for them.
As you know your HbA1c scores 54 and 59 you can see that has increased. It is not as high as some have on diagnosis, but you need to get it lower. I suggest you keep accurate records of what you have eaten, and what is recorded on your meter just before eating, then at 1 hour and two hours after eating. That way you will know how various foods are affecting your blood glucose levels and can adjust your diet accordingly.
Good luck.

Addyb

No problem with anyone finding a way that works for them.
As you know your HbA1c scores 54 and 59 you can see that has increased. It is not as high as some have on diagnosis, but you need to get it lower. I suggest you keep accurate records of what you have eaten, and what is recorded on your meter just before eating, then at 1 hour and two hours after eating. That way you will know how various foods are affecting your blood glucose levels and can adjust your diet accordingly.
Good luck.

One thing I have noticed over the past few days is my fasting level is anything from 13-16 and then it drops and continues to drop throughout the day. For example a drop to 7.8 early afternoon and pre dinner the lowest was 6.3.

Can't work that out.