Why Are My Blood Sugars Not High As Usual

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys,

I need some advice. My husband and I started slimming world and I was low carb for two days we then went on a spa break...

We had cream and jam scones with coffee which I had 12units of insulin via my cellnovo pump.

I then had a few disaranno and diet cokes for which I didnt inject.

I went to the toilets to check my sugars dreading they would be sky high and they were 7!

I then had a three course meal inc a risotto tart, spinach gnocchi and an eclair and again dreaded checking my sugars. I injected 20 units over 1and a half hours.

I have just checked my sugars a few hours later expecting to be high and they are 5.9!

Now I am hoping my type 1 diabetes has been cured. Lol or someone has an explanation for me. Please help!!!

Reactions: ickihun

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, my evening ended up being a complete and utter nightmare! As I was 5.9 a couple of hours later and had a feeling I was going to drop and I dropped to 2.7.

I was sick and sweating like mad. I had something sweet and twenty minutes later was still low so had something to eat again and was still low. I then woke up the following morning with a reading of 23.4.

I literally don't see the point of being alive! I have been trying to have a successful pregnancy for a couple of years now and just can't seem to keep my sugars stable. I am so fedup!

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Did you calculate your carbs or basal 100% as with being in a spa the food you've eaten could have more carbohydrates then u were expecting did you have acting insulin when you had a hypo that could have effect the hypo and the later reading??

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Insulin doesn't like fat. It delays digestion, hence your 23 from carbs earlier then correction carbs.
Also did you over treat your hypo when carb wasn't working quick enough in your delayed digestion?
Hypo was probables due to being relaxed and not needing as much basal due to your enjoyment.

Next time take less basal a day or 2 days before, for such occasion and expect a high due to extra carbs and alcohol. Most alcohol has still remaining sugar in it for taste. A few spirits will give a very low if not accumplied by carbs.
In my experience alcohol, carbs and same insulin always causes a temporary high fbg.
Don't over compensate for high bg but definitely monitor more til your back on track and on original basal.
You may find alcohol and carbs affects you for a few days.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i find that alcohol gives me an initial spike then drops me quite dramatically and this can last until the next day i always eat something carby b4 bed if i wake up with high bgs i wait for a bit b4 treating as sometimes bgs start dropping again