What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Morning all. 7.1 at 8.40 am. Been very busy taking my USA visitors out and about but staying local today so have time to post. I'm having really bad calf cramps too as well as my usual back/leg pain and eating more carby things whilst travelling so fbs is higher than of late. Have a good weekend one and all. :)

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Morening
Serious post today.
26 years ago on this day a young man from the north of England died in hospital, his family decided to donate his organs for transplantation. I received his liver, his and his family's gift enabled me to see my children grow up, marry and have children.
So today is a mixed emotional day for me.
Transplantation works, one of the minor side effects caused by the anti rejection drugs is diabetes, I say minor because the alternative to not taking the drugs is death.
Please think about organ donation and discuss it with your family.

A gentle 6.0 for me today.

Have a good day as I shall try to.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Morening
Serious post today.
26 years ago on this day a young man from the north of England died in hospital, his family decided to donate his organs for transplantation. I received his liver, his and his family's gift enabled me to see my children grow up, marry and have children.
Transplantation works, one of the minor side effects caused by the anti rejection drugs is diabetes, I say minor because the alternative to not taking the drugs is death.

Thanks for sharing this thoughts..... Have a great day, and well done the family of that man 26 years ago!

Reactions: Freema

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morening
Serious post today.

Alf your post made my eyes well up. What a marvellous thing! I can well understand what an emotional day this must be - more important than your birthday.
We are all organ donors - it’s something we agreed was obviously the right thing to do but reading your personal story makes it hit so much harder.
Have a wonderful day, 26 years - wow!

Reactions: Freema

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Morening
Serious post today.

@alf_Josiah i decided around 3 or 4 years ago that when I die I want to donate my organs it’s my way of saying thank you to the person who gave up their lungs for me and to God for giving me a second chance at life

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morening
Serious post today.

Sending big hugs alf very emotional day for you and your family xx

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 today. I'm delighted. Because last night I was out with the girls. Designated driver so no alcohol but 3 courses food wise. Now i still find it difficult in restaurants and tend to go for safe options. Usually ceasar salad! But last night what a treat I had. Portobello mushrooms in stilton sauce to start. Chicken and chorizo kebab with salad (sweet chilli sauce came in a side dish and not smothered all over kebab). And a wonderful cheese board to finish. Bloods 5.5 after 2 hours and not much of a rise this morning. Happy bunny.

Last edited:

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Morening
Serious post today.

Crikey Alf

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morening
Serious post today.

An emotional day is I'm sure an understatement. What an amazing thing for the family to do at what I'm sure was the most difficult time of their lives. Thinking of others in such a magnificent way. So lovely to hear your story and that you have lived a very fullfilling life watching your children grow up, marry and see your grandchildren come into the world. Thanks for sharing.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morening
Serious post today.

@alf_Josiah Very moving post and insight into your hinterland. Those few words show you to be a better man than most.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I occasionally get those as well . Mainly at night. I've been trying to figure it out by tempering my water / salt / activity ... your info ...

Me three! Also take magnesium (although too much can lead to unexpected toilet visits!)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Me three! Also take magnesium (although too much can lead to unexpected toilet visits!)
Hi all fellow cramp sufferers including @dogslife @OrsonKartt and @Goonergal and for @rhubarb73 as you asked!
I’m now home and quickly checked the book I mentioned earlier- it’s the art and science of low carbohydrate living by drs Volek and Phinney.
They recommend that taking magnesium supplements can be a shortcut to ending nocturnal or post exercise muscle cramps. They suggest taking magnesium starting with 3 tabletsfor 20days and then titration down to one per day. I was on one per day until a few weeks back but stopped thinking that problem was solved - big Mistake! So have gone back to two but forgot last night! I did use magnesium citrate before but have now started on magnesium bisglycinate which doesn’t seem to have had the tummy impact for me on the higher dose.
There is also an important caveat in the book that a contradiction of oral magnesium is anyone with severe renal failure and needto check with dr if any history of kidney problems or known loss of kidney function.
My mum who has poor kidney function uses the spray that you massage directly on the legs and finds this helpful. I’ve also tried this but find it limits cramp but dosent stop it for me unless I take a supplement.
The drs also suggest adding salty broth to diet and lots of meat and leafy greens to up magnesium
Hope this helps.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morening
Serious post today.

Thinking of you today Alf a very emotional day for you and a very important subject to raise