Panic!!!!!

d1rebetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Guys,
Some 3 weeks ago I started a low carb' regime, basically no spud, rice, pasta or bread
This has led to my BG levels dropping to single figures within a week.
Now, in the third week my BG's are constantly below 7 and I test 4 times daily.
However, following a weight loss of only 2 lbs. over the first 2 weeks I was shocked today to find I have increased in weight by 10 lbs. over the past week.
My eating habits have not changed in any way so I have allowed myself to panic a bit!!!
Any ideas?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you keeping any kind of food diary?..
Have you weighed yourself using the same scales in the same place?
Do your clothes seem to fit any differently?
Weight can be an interesting thing I have seen a 4 pound variation over one day when weighing lot to see what happens .
Do you have a lot of weight to lose?

Sorry for the rash of questions but it would help to know what you eat and when so we can analyse where you might be going wrong.
Oh yes are you taking any medication too?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Are you recording your height/waist ratio? Sometimes we can see a change there before we see it on the scales.

d1rebetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you keeping any kind of food diary?..
Have you weighed yourself using the same scales in the same place?
Do your clothes seem to fit any differently?
Weight can be an interesting thing I have seen a 4 pound variation over one day when weighing lot to see what happens .
Do you have a lot of weight to lose?

Sorry for the rash of questions but it would help to know what you eat and when so we can analyse where you might be going wrong.
Oh yes are you taking any medication too?

Hiya, thanks for the quick responses. I'm not convinced about water retention, why would that suddenly start?

I weigh once per week using same scales in the same location and in the same clothes, i.e. none.

I do keep a food diary thank goodness.

Perhaps I had better list all the medication I'm taking for Diabetes:-

METFORMIN 1000 mg 4 X PER DAY.
GLICLIZIDE 80 mg. 2 X PER DAY.
LIRAGLUTIDE 1.2 UNITS PER DAY.
GLARGINE 42 UNITS PER DAY.

Cheers, Chris

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you increased the amount of protein that you are eating? I did this and forgot to drink enough/more water at the same time.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well you obviously do not need to change the way you are eating because you say your BG levels are good. You say you do not think it is water retention but because of the hot weather you may be drinking more and that could be the extra weight gain. I would say do not panic just do what you are already doing and see how it goes if you continue to gain for no obvious reason perhaps see your GP or Nurse for advice

Reactions: Terrytiddy
Well you obviously do not need to change the way you are eating because you say your BG levels are good. You say you do not think it is water retention but because of the hot weather you may be drinking more and that could be the extra weight gain. I would say do not panic just do what you are already doing and see how it goes if you continue to gain for no obvious reason perhaps see your GP or Nurse for advice
Don't laugh at this but l had a small issue of the same but not 10lbs... now this is true.. l changed my batteries in my scales and heypresto.. weight what I should have been.. panic over.. just a thought

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't laugh at this but l had a small issue of the same but not 10lbs... now this is true.. l changed my batteries in my scales and heypresto.. weight what I should have been.. panic over.. just a thought

I was just about to ask about batteries, or checking the dial is on zero (and was it before?).

@d1rebetic - Does anyone else use the scales? If so, then it could be useful if they also weighed themselves to see if they notice anything they might not have been expecting.

And finally, has your relationship with the plumbing changed at all? Some folks find they can become a bit constipated when they change their diet, and that can take a short while to sort out, but show in unexpected weight gain.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's not uncommon to see a fluctuation of 4 to 5 pounds over a few days.Don't let it get you down,it happens.I cycle and walk alternating days the more I do I gain more pounds in muscle increase.You think I've worked my nuts of and gained weight.Check you size instead.