Omnipod Issues

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I’ve been type one for over 20 years. Always been well controlled.

I was on injections but have been on the Omnipod for the past 2 and a half years due to wanting to extend our family and a previous pregnancy where my diabetes battled my hormones and was difficult to control. I have stayed using it because I like it.

Anyway, the past 4/5 months I’ve noticed the pods are extremely unreliable! They’re constantly leaking/not leaking but causing high blood sugar. Every 2 days. I know it’s not my carb ratios/ basals because when it works- it works well! It’s like it’s not going in properly. I have had this happen 3 tines this weeks and it’s infuriating!!! I have attached pictures. I have recently put on almost a stone due to having just had my 3rd child. But I don’t think itd enough to stop the pods from working.

I have tried holding the pod firm and using physio tape over it, but nothing is helping.

Omnipod/ my diabetes nurse have no advice to offer apart from what I’ve tried!

I like the pump, but REALLY don’t want wires! I feel like just going back to pens- at least I know I’m getting the insulin that’s been administered. I can’t go on like this! It’s happened 3 times this week!!

Has this happened to anyone else?

I just want r to work like it was!! It was perfect! Hba1c has been between 5.8% (40) and 6.5% (48) over the past 5 years! This one is going to be WELL above that and it makes me want to cry!!!

Anyone any advice please?!

IMG_1502.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    900.2 KB · Views: 4,098

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just to add- sugars are going up to 19/20mmol every couple of days and the picture below is the leaking pod AGAIN!!!
IMG_1504.jpg

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Wow that seems like a mess! It does smell like insulin, right? I’m gonna guess that the cannula isn’t inserting through the skin layer.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Tweety88, I have an Animas pump which is one with a tube (tubey pump as it is called here on site). I have had occasional problems with the plastic cannula leaking under the skin, or the cannula becoming bent. The end result is high BSLs as the insulin delivery is affected. I have to replace the needle insert to overcome the problem. I imagine you would have to un-attach and re-attach the Omnipod, but those on site that use the Omnipod can give you better info on that.
It may be that for some reason your skin has altered after your pregnancy and the sticky material does not work quite as well, but that is a guess. Others on site have their favourite formula/cream etc for increasing the ability of the sticky material to adhere better. I would just caution you to be careful as some substances may cause skin irritation which may, of course, be an individual thing. For example, I tried Friar's balsam, a sticky form of iodine solution, but developed a skin rash pronto!!
Despite what I have said above about my brand of pump (which sadly is being phased out) you may still wish to weigh up pros and cons of the Omnipod vs a tubey pump if things do not improve.
Best Wishes and I am sure others will have more helpful answers !!

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow that seems like a mess! It does smell like insulin, right? I’m gonna guess that the cannula isn’t inserting through the skin layer.

Thank you for your reply.

It does smell of insulin. It’s like it works for the first day but comes out after that x

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Tweety88, I have an Animas pump which is one with a tube (tubey pump as it is called here on site). I have had occasional problems with the plastic cannula leaking under the skin, or the cannula becoming bent. The end result is high BSLs as the insulin delivery is affected. I have to replace the needle insert to overcome the problem. I imagine you would have to un-attach and re-attach the Omnipod, but those on site that use the Omnipod can give you better info on that.
It may be that for some reason your skin has altered after your pregnancy and the sticky material does not work quite as well, but that is a guess. Others on site have their favourite formula/cream etc for increasing the ability of the sticky material to adhere better. I would just caution you to be careful as some substances may cause skin irritation which may, of course, be an individual thing. For example, I tried Friar's balsam, a sticky form of iodine solution, but developed a skin rash pronto!!
Despite what I have said above about my brand of pump (which sadly is being phased out) you may still wish to weigh up pros and cons of the Omnipod vs a tubey pump if things do not improve.
Best Wishes and I am sure others will have more helpful answers !!

Thank you for your reply. I used to use skin tac wipes, but have found I don’t need them as the adhesive is actually sticking, it’s just cannula problems I’m having. They used to peel off- but now they stick fast but the cannula isn’t as deep as it should be.

This started happening during pregnancy, but put it down to my skin being so tight and stretched- but it certainly isn’t that anymore x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply. I used to use skin tac wipes, but have found I don’t need them as the adhesive is actually sticking, it’s just cannula problems I’m having. They used to peel off- but now they stick fast but the cannula isn’t as deep as it should be.

This started happening during pregnancy, but put it down to my skin being so tight and stretched- but it certainly isn’t that anymore x

Tweety88 - I'm not even T1, never mind a pump user so discount my query if it's just bonkers, but have you tried using a new site or a variety of new pump sites, just in case you're building up a bit of lipohypertrophy. I understand that can really muck up insulin delivery up for some.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: kitedoc

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m only on my fourth pod so am very new to all this, so can't really offer much by way of advice. Is it worth trying a completely new site that you’ve not done before? Maybe around the back?

Reactions: kitedoc

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the Medtronic 640g which has a tube. Does the Omnipod come with different length cannulas that insert into the skin? Maybe the cannula needs to be longer so it stays deep in the skin for 2 to 3 days?

Are you inserting it where there are stretch marks or maybe sweating underneath the pod?

I chose a tubed pump because there is more flexibility in siting the cannula without the pump sticking out.

Last edited:
Reactions: kitedoc and richyb

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Just to add- sugars are going up to 19/20mmol every couple of days and the picture below is the leaking pod AGAIN!!! View attachment 28055

My son is in his third year using the Omnipod and the last year pod problems seem a lot higher then the first couple of years. I have wondered if they have changed factory or changed materials during this time.

When I recently reported several pod screamers (Just before they left Ypsomed) the error information indicated that the pods had occlusions. They kept asking me about if I rotated sites etc but also kept telling me that we should be pincing the skin to help the the cannula insert. In the end I went back to manual and was surprised to find this was in the instructions for starting a new pod. If you haven't been pincing the skin maybe that will help.

I would suggest trying a pod from a new box back as you have been experiencing problems for the last 4/5 months it is unlikely to make a difference.

I would encourage you to report every problem to Insulet even though the process can be a little painful, if there are issues with the manufacturing of the pods then they will not be address if we don't report them.

When the pods are working well it can give great control but when it doesn't and you have several problems in a short space of time it can be so frustrating especially when it has such a negative effect on your bloods.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What a pain for you, I've been using the Omnipod for six years and don't have this problem but hear of many who seem to. Tunnelling is mentioned and this decreases life span of the pod as is the case with you. Some people just don't seem to get on with it and maybe you are just one of them. I always push up the skin at the cannula end of the pod on insertion and press down, it might be worth a go?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I’ve been type one for over 20 years. Always been well controlled.

I was on injections but have been on the Omnipod for the past 2 and a half years due to wanting to extend our family and a previous pregnancy where my diabetes battled my hormones and was difficult to control. I have stayed using it because I like it.

Anyway, the past 4/5 months I’ve noticed the pods are extremely unreliable! They’re constantly leaking/not leaking but causing high blood sugar. Every 2 days. I know it’s not my carb ratios/ basals because when it works- it works well! It’s like it’s not going in properly. I have had this happen 3 tines this weeks and it’s infuriating!!! I have attached pictures. I have recently put on almost a stone due to having just had my 3rd child. But I don’t think itd enough to stop the pods from working.

I have tried holding the pod firm and using physio tape over it, but nothing is helping.

Omnipod/ my diabetes nurse have no advice to offer apart from what I’ve tried!

I like the pump, but REALLY don’t want wires! I feel like just going back to pens- at least I know I’m getting the insulin that’s been administered. I can’t go on like this! It’s happened 3 times this week!!

Has this happened to anyone else?

I just want r to work like it was!! It was perfect! Hba1c has been between 5.8% (40) and 6.5% (48) over the past 5 years! This one is going to be WELL above that and it makes me want to cry!!!

Anyone any advice please?!

View attachment 28053
hi! did you manage to sort out the leaky pumps i've really been struggling with the same thing x