Stress And Glucose Monitor Readings!!!

cassie091

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Should have added that the carbs in porridge are slow release. You can have it with yoghurt and a sprinkling of blueberries. delicious and healthy.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Porridge is so high carb, like weetabix and oatabix - how about having some boiled eggs in the fridge, or cooked meat? Far better at keeping BG levels steady and protein and fat for body and brain growth.

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
As others have said, we're all different. I've had type 1 for over 40 years and my blood sugars rose more when I was expecting my baby, as did my craving for milk! I almost always have cereal (sometimes weetabix) for breakfast and usually don't have problems as a result. It's a case of getting the insulin doses right to cover the food you're eating and a lot of other variables that can come up. Stress often pushes blood sugar up too.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Weetabix isn't as healthy as they'd like you to think. 2 Biscuits are 26g carbs and 0.1 g salt before you add in milk (which also has salt naturally).
I find a porridge made with chia seeds, milled flaxseed and oatbran works best for me - with half and half full fat milk and water. I soak the chia seeds and flaxseed in water the night before, stir in the oatbran and milk in the morning and microwave for just over 2 mins (while I am making a drink).
Flavoured with a pinch of salt, vanilla powder.essence and cinnamon.
It can be eaten cold, and it sets fairly firm!

EasyHeart

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Mean and unkind attitudes that stop people enjoying their lives or feeling good about themselves.
Stress definitely affects BSLs due to primitive responses that occur in case we need to flee or fight. A quick antidote to soothe the body and brain is an app called One Moment Meditation by Martin Boroson. You can learn to take a minute to reboot your internal anxiety/safety barometer anytime you need - I sometimes do this in meetings at work, I visualise the process in my head when I am aware that I am feeling irritated, frustrated, overwhelmed or let down. Worth a try before, during and after situations that are stressful. I introduce it to my clients too (I work in a counselling service) they report finding it easy and helpful - a bit like "preventative first aid". Good luck and be kind to yourself, I am sure you are doing everything right to help yourself right now, and that is good enough :).

waterfall2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh boy, stress def affects readings! Was diagnosed in March w 21. Extreme and immediate diet change got me to 14 in a month. Was on holidays (super calm) in Greece (calming) w my son (most soothing of all ). Some days my numbers were in the 4s and 5s!! Couldn't believe it. Then one morning my phone memory was full of pics so I had to transfer them to my computer (computer=STRESS. I worked 17 yrs in the IT branch). Transferring photos NEVER works smoothly w my iPhone. (Always crashes or misses photos=STRESS). Tested my blood right after this... 17!!! Stress definitely spikes the numbers and fast.