What do I call my diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all I was diagnosed over 2 years ago after a severe case of pancreaitis what do I call my diabetes. I am not a type 2 and not a type 1

D

Deleted Account

There was me thinking of suggesting "Dolly Diabetes" but realised your question was more serious.

I do not know the official answer to your question but I would focus on how you treat it. I assume (but wait to be corrected) your pancreaitis killed off the insulin creating cells. In which case, I would focus on the type 1 threads on this forum.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There was me thinking of suggesting "Dolly Diabetes" but realised your question was more serious.

I do not know the official answer to your question but I would focus on how you treat it. I assume (but wait to be corrected) your pancreaitis killed off the insulin creating cells. In which case, I would focus on the type 1 threads on this forum.
It killed of the pancreas itself

Reactions: Freema
A

Australia 1

It killed of the pancreas itself

G’Day. I am brand new here. I have had 2 Cancers and then Type 2 came along. Both Cancers are in total remission but now my Endocrinologist tells me that I am a Type 1. I do not get a real good explanation out of Him. But I saw your writing of the Pancreas being “Killed”. I found this interesting so I am writing to you about this. Davidd1953

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
G’Day. I am brand new here. I have had 2 Cancers and then Type 2 came along. Both Cancers are in total remission but now my Endocrinologist tells me that I am a Type 1. I do not get a real good explanation out of Him. But I saw your writing of the Pancreas being “Killed”. I found this interesting so I am writing to you about this. Davidd1953

So much can happen to ones body when one is treated for cancer, good it is remission ... I Think you need to let it take the time it takes to be fully tested and Then maybe go through the shock of learning to deal with type 1 or alike, But there must be others in here having had almost the same experience , sometimes we must be happy just for having survived something even worse , send you a Big virtual hugg

Last edited:

mom_go_bloo

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I was diagnosed over 2 years ago after a severe case of pancreaitis what do I call my diabetes. I am not a type 2 and not a type 1

It's actually type 3c (this forum) or secondary diabetes. You are right, we are not type 1 or type 2, but we have elements of both. I also have a damaged pancreas after gallstone-pancreatitis. We are sort of like type 1, cause we dont have enough insulin, but I'm not on insulin, so those boards dont' help me much. I'm not insulin-resistant, like type 2, but diet and exercise are very important. So I frequent the type 2 boards and just have to remember that my situation may be different. Everyone's experience is so different anyway, that you really have to figure out what works for you, and it doesnt' matter what type you are.

Good luck!

Reactions: Fenn

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well I'm a type 1 diabetic i have 2 friends novorapid & lantus which i joke on and ive named them Tom & Jerry

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
It's actually type 3c (this forum) or secondary diabetes. You are right, we are not type 1 or type 2, but we have elements of both. I also have a damaged pancreas after gallstone-pancreatitis. We are sort of like type 1, cause we dont have enough insulin, but I'm not on insulin, so those boards dont' help me much. I'm not insulin-resistant, like type 2, but diet and exercise are very important. So I frequent the type 2 boards and just have to remember that my situation may be different. Everyone's experience is so different anyway, that you really have to figure out what works for you, and it doesnt' matter what type you are.

Good luck!
I had gallstones and pancreatitis in 2009 and was in hospital for 9 days. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 5 years ago. I don't think my doctor would have put 2 and 2 together and considered any other diagnoses than T2.

Deadeye_Pete

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I had acute pancreatitis caused by gallstones in August last year. I have about 5%of my pancreas left. My GP refers to me as a type 1, but the DSN says I'm not a true type 1because i can still produce some insulin.

I refer to my diabetes as either type 3c or insulin dependent.

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance

I would suggest type 1 if you are in the uk, this way other people have some idea of your condition

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I don't know to be honest but on a lighter note I call mine madam

JimBee

Found this definition On-Line that may fit,
Pancreatogenic diabetes is classified by the American Diabetes Association and by the World Health Organization as type 3c diabetes mellitus (T3cDM) and refers to diabetes due to impairment in pancreatic endocrine function related to pancreatic exocrine damage due to acute, relapsing and chronic pancreatitis (of any etiology), cystic fibrosis, hemochromatosis, pancreatic cancer, and pancreatectomy, and as well rare causes such as neonatal diabetes due to pancreatic agenesis
Well, you've answered the question for me. For a while I had type 1 - controlled with diet, monitored 3 monthly HbA1c tests, or whatever thy're called.
Then along came pancreatic cancer in the form of a pNET - the size of a golf ball, in-operable, and HbA1c tests through the roof. Now looked after with injections - one daily, and one before any meal likely to raise blood sugars more than an inch.
Finding the appropriate doses has been a struggle. I've got three months of data now . . . but advice from either type 1 or type 2 sufferers as to what to expect per injection was rather hazy.
So I'll be looking for answers on this forum!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
With pancreatic cancer it is important to think of all aspects of health rather than just the injecting. This is good as far as cancer and diabetes recommended foods are the same... good amounts of protein and healthy fats (if tolerated).

Do have a look at pomi-t capsules. These have been proven to help cancer patients.

Type 1 is never managed by diet. It always involves ongoing injections from day one of diagnosis.

You need to try and achieve levels in daily blood tests to under 7.8 and the smaller the rises 2 hours after eating is better.
However pancreatic cancer is an addition to diabetes, so this may throw different effects in than straight forward T1.

I am very sorry to hear the diagnosis of your illness and as a double breast cancer person I know how acceptance and healing etc can impact upon diabetic levels..
With an inoperable golf ball I would really recommend that you have Pomi-t capsules...have you been sent to an endocrinologist??

Harricat

Hi everyone. I had gallstones induced acute pancreatitis in July 2018 and was in hospital for 10 days. Whilst they were checking blood sugar in hospital there was never any mention that I may become diabetic. However symptoms of diabetes developed within a month of being discharged from hospital and my GP confirmed the diagnosis. I’m now injecting insulin twice daily. I don’t know if I was just unlucky or my pancreatitis was very severe, but either way I’m now having to get used to this new situation.

Reactions: germansheppard234

gcalder

I developed my condition after a severe bout of pancreatitis that came with a more serious illness. They never caught the pancreatic damage while they were staving off other problems. I just call myself T1 and go with that flow; my treatment lends itself to that.