Do I Need To Tell Anyone Now Taking Metformin?

jocoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I have started on metformin, is there anyone I need to inform? I have got travel insurance for a holiday coming up so I will tell them of the change of course but is there any other 'authorities' I need to tell does anyone know?
Thanks!

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you maybe only need to inform your insurance company, and have them note you are diabetic, then they can't use it against you if you come in trouble, but actually metformin is a very weak medication and I guess you are trying to control your condition and get your numbers down to normal, which is possible to most if they eat less than 100-150 grams of carbs in total daily...
I told my insurance just to be safe, then they may tell you that you only need to contact them again if your medication has been changed in future or/and if your condition has gone worse.. I pay the same as all others for travel insurance, my diabetes is under control and not really a health problem at the moment... you can do that too I am sure..

Reactions: Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on Metformin for Type 2, no need to tell DVLA, if you drive but you need to declare it to your car insurer. However it should NOT affect your premium.

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
The DVLA website says.......
Diabetes treated by tablets or non-insulin injections
Car or motorbike licence
Check with your doctor or nurse to find out if your treatment means you need to tell DVLA.

If you do need to tell DVLA, fill in form DIAB1 and send it to the address on the form.

Bus, coach or lorry licence
You must tell DVLA if your diabetes is treated by tablets or non-insulin injections. You must fill in:

• form VDIAB1SG if your diabetes is treated by sulphonylurea or glinide tablets
  • form VDIAB1GEN if your diabetes is treated by any other tablets or non-insulin injections
Send the form to DVLA. The address is on the form.

Diabetes treated by diet
Car or motorbike licence
You don’t need to tell DVLA.

Bus, coach or lorry licence
You don’t need to tell DVLA.

All of the above is from the Governments website at:
https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving