Early Pregnancy Insulin Tequirements

joanne75

Hi

Just wondering if anyone experienced lower insulin levels before they found out they were pregnant, I’m not sure I’m pregnant yet will test in a few days but just wondering if this was an early symptom for anyone?
Thanks

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @joanne75, I have only heard anecdotally that this is the case. Being a male, I would awaited those with true experience!!
But I just wished to say that I have read and heard doctors speak that of those preparing for pregnancy to commence taking recommended brands of pregnancy./breastfeeding supplements. Apparently baby needs things like iodine from conception onwards and since one usually has to wait time before knowing one is pregnant taking the supplements now is a way to ensure baby has what is needed straight away. At least that is what I have read and seen in health education papers, pamphlets etc.
Best Wishes !!

Reactions: margarett89

margarett89

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Joanne, maybe it will be help ? I just found a bit information about it

"In healthy pregnant women, the blood glucose level (serum sugar) is lower at around 60 - 80 mg%, (3.3 - 4.3 mmol / l), after a meal the increase is greater in pregnant women. In pregnant women there is an increased spontaneous and post-insulin secretion, and the transfer of glucose to the fetus depends on the amount of glucose in the mother's blood and on the needs of the placenta itself).

Deficiency of insulin produced by the pancreas results in hyperglycemia, glycosuria, ketonemia, emaciation, and dehydration. In pregnancy, additional factors appear that have anti-insulin effects: placental lactogen, estrogen and progesterone, prolactin, placental insulin, and so the amount of insulin decreases, and thus increases the level of glucose in the serum.

The first trimester improves the tolerance of carbohydrates and reduces the need for insulin (the fetus gets glucose and amino acids). In the second and third trimester, the carbohydrate metabolism deteriorates and, therefore, the insulin requirement increases by 50-70%. Before the birth, the need for insulin may be reduced, because the fetus produces its own insulin. After delivery, the need for insulin drops by 30 - 50%.

Glucose transport through the placenta is based on simplified diffusion, the higher the concentration of glucose in the mother's serum, the more it passes through the placenta to the fetus."

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes the first 16 weeks or so Iv been low with all 3 of my pregnancys I’m currently 22+2 weeks and started going higher around 18 weeks I believe it was ... its tricky I havnt even had sickness this time as I did throughout with my first 2 I put that down to the lows ! It must just be how some ladies respond to pregnancy though one good thing Iv found it when I’m low I’m not too affected anymore though so I’m not saying I prefer it or that’s it’s good but I felt like I was able to function more whilst low rather than endanger myself if that makes any sense ...
definitely seek support from dsn though and hopefully they will give you all the support and advice you need and possibly a blood test for pregnancy x
Good luck

Reactions: CranberryIce