What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try Smash Burger, they are hands down the best I've had, even better than the fabulous (and expensive) Five Guys. I happen to know there is one on DeKalb Avenue in Brooklyn and one by the Empire State Building. I may or may not have frequented both regularly when I spent a summer there.

Yet another reason to go back (I don’t need much of an excuse).

Sorry to hear you’re feeling rotten.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over roast lamb, cold with cauliflower, broccoli and orange tomato salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: orange chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cheese and mushroom omelette with cauliflower, broccoli and red pepper salad followed by vanilla Oppo, blackberries and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.6 FBG 5.9 - slight improvement on yesterday morning. Still sniffy' not as achy ( at least until I started to shampoo upstairs carpets with rug doctor). The morning DP surge wasn't as bad either up to 8.6. So I'll still keep it low today.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. The other bit of that Mattesons smoked sausage with a fried egg (Another double yolker).
D. Finally got around to making a lo dough quiche. I've rather missed quiche. Made it with bacon bits , onion, 4 wee mini tomatoes, 1 mushroom , cream, cheese and of course eggs with parsley. They are rather good. Had a 1/4 With some sweet potato chips and a little sugar free ketchup.
Sadly I only have 1 creme brulee remaining.
Tomorrow marks the return to school and day 1 for the wee one. That was a very quick 6 weeks. My sister in law and her hubby are on their way over from Australia. They're currently in Dubai Manchester, Liverpool and Chester next and finally up here on 31 August. I've asked them to go see the Terracotta warriors in Liverpool I'm looking for a gap for us to go down for a couple of days. I'd love to see them.

Reactions: jayney27

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try Smash Burger, they are hands down the best I've had, even better than the fabulous (and expensive) Five Guys. I happen to know there is one on DeKalb Avenue in Brooklyn and one by the Empire State Building. I may or may not have frequented both regularly when I spent a summer there.
We are not staying in New York this time, just an airport stop before connecting flight to Fort Lauderdale. I will remember to look out for them next time and while we are in Florida.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, later post tonight just been out for an anniversary meal.
Coffee with cream when I woke
B peanut butter smoothie when I got to work
L homemade cauliflower soup, salami crisps and some smoked cheese slices
Half a raspberry phd smart bar
Frothy coffee and some coffee flavoured almonds and macadamia nuts
D carvery, turkey and beef, cauliflower cheese, cabbage and 2 small roast potatoes, cheesecake with clotted cream, didn’t eat the base, 2glasses of red wine

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for the information - I drink green tea a lot throughout the day to help out and also a small glass of red wine some evenings! My HDL is high so just mainly targetting the LDL

Shelley I was looking for something today on the Miller Medical site, when I, literally, happened upon this, and you immediately came to mind, bearing in mind you have signed up for Thriva.

I don't know too much more than verey brief reading

http://www.millermedicalsupplies.co...ser-tc-hdl-trig-ldl-cholesterol-with-5-strips

The £195 price does work if one adds one to the basket (£210 inc VAT), although you need the strips to go with it (sound familiar?) http://www.millermedicalsupplies.com/veri-q-multi-meter-analyser-cholesterol-testing-strips-x10 . At £21 for 10 strips it could all be cost effective/horrendously costly, depending on how many tests a person would do.

:)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs
I, like you miss fruit most of all and lovely fresh bread, I am happy to not eat pasta and rice but occasionally find myself dreaming of eating lovely fresh pineapple, juicy mango or a lovely slice of still warm freshly baked bread.
Me too! Toast crunchy seeded bread with lots of butter. Low carb muffin was tried for first time the other day, which was an acceptable (just) alternative. I love fruit, but it is off the menu, and I can't find a good substitute.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jayney27 Sounds as though you miss fruit quite a bit. My issue is we have 8 varieties of apple in our garden and 2 types of pears. I have sadly felled 3 types of plum tree since dx including a greengage remembered fondly by all my cousins. We also have rhubarb and blackberries.
This year the apple trees are as heavily laden as I can ever remember, especially russets which I love. I feel a blackberry and apple crumble will be in order early October with lots of cream and so* the bg:angelic:

Apples are going to be my Nemesis this September too I think.
We have a few apple trees but one in particular gives the best apples Ive ever tasted - I used to get tummy ache ( and the rest) every Sept when I was younger as I ate so many of them.
I’ve been thinking about them for a few weeks now and I know I will have to eat a couple. Whatever the outcome I’m prepared and it will have been worth it!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jayney27 happy anniversary sound like you had a good meal out
@DCUKMod thanks for information but usually get my test from Thriva at quite a low price because of vouchers paid 12 first time and 19 second time. Its an NHS test tommorow and if it is lower, as I hope, I may not pay for any more just wait until my NHS test at my 6 monthly diabetic check which is now only a further 3 months away! I can pause Thriva or delay or stop them. it seems a big investment to buy a monitor when Im not completley convinced about benefits of low v high cholesterol!
Late posting because ive been working both today and this evening on the recipe collection which is now getting there - tommorow should see it up to first full draft!
Breakfast one slice bacon and fried egg
lunch 5 low carb seeded crispbreads and pate with a handful of nuts
lots of green tea this afternoon to keep me going
dinner one lamb loin chop served on cauliflower mash followed by a mini clafoutis with fage 5% yoghurt
Now fasting water only so reading this thread is a bit tempting as is the recipe booklet!

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DJC3 - If I recall, @Brunneria does shoulder joints fairly regularly, and may have done breast too, so she may comment, in due course.

When I started off, everything I cooked was prefaced by "this is an experiment...." and it's fair to say there were a few things went onto the "Let's not bother with that again" list.

As you can imagine, with the delayed start and the keep warm facility, it really comes into its own in winter. The number of times I've just felt like some soup, so lobbed in a splash of water, some frozen stock, whatever veg is hanging around, and any cold cuts there might be, with some seasoning, and jabbed the Soup button really mount up. A quick whizz with the stick blender and there is a vat of deliciousness.

I also always have a vat of this on the go as a very, very easy means of seasoning almost anything: http://www.feistytapas.com/2017/02/homemade-vegetable-stock-paste-instantpot-thermomix.html

In fact, I save my parmesan ends (clip top container in the freezer) for this, because once they've been grated and cooked down, they've done their job of adding flavour and a bit of texture beautifully.

Thanks for this - the parmesan tip is great.
I’ve got the lamb bones in the Ip now ( from the 1/2 lamb we bought a couple of days ago) making bone broth so I’ll be ready for anything.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jayney27 happy anniversary sound like you had a good meal out
@DCUKMod thanks for information but usually get my test from Thriva at quite a low price because of vouchers paid 12 first time and 19 second time. Its an NHS test tommorow and if it is lower, as I hope, I may not pay for any more just wait until my NHS test at my 6 monthly diabetic check which is now only a further 3 months away! I can pause Thriva or delay or stop them. it seems a big investment to buy a monitor when Im not completley convinced about benefits of low v high cholesterol!
Late posting because ive been working both today and this evening on the recipe collection which is now getting there - tommorow should see it up to first full draft!
Breakfast one slice bacon and fried egg
lunch 5 low carb seeded crispbreads and pate with a handful of nuts
lots of green tea this afternoon to keep me going
dinner one lamb loin chop served on cauliflower mash followed by a mini clafoutis with fage 5% yoghurt
Now fasting water only so reading this thread is a bit tempting as is the recipe booklet!

I knew we can buy finger prick testing machines very modestly priced for TC, but the breakdowns are more of a challenge.

Fingers crossed for you for tomorrow. Hopefully the results will be available pronto.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this - the parmesan tip is great.
I’ve got the lamb bones in the Ip now ( from the 1/2 lamb we bought a couple of days ago) making bone broth so I’ll be ready for anything.

Lamb bones are my least favourite, but that's just me, and the broth can be rather fatty, but of course it solidifies when cooled, so can be dealt with accordingly then, if you want to.

If this is your first bone broth, I bet you'll be amazed. I usually put mine on for longer than strictly required, as I go to bed, then switch it off (from the keep warm setting) in the morning. I never much care for washing up just before bed.

Lazy? Moi? You bet your life!

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I knew we can buy finger prick testing machines very modestly priced for TC, but the breakdowns are more of a challenge.

Fingers crossed for you for tomorrow. Hopefully the results will be available pronto.
Thank you it should be lower if my Thriva results are accurate! One on my nhs records from May is 13.8 so its got to be lower as my last thriva test was 7.5.

Reactions: GrumpyOldPhart

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.6 FBG 5.9 - slight improvement on yesterday morning. Still sniffy' not as achy ( at least until I started to shampoo upstairs carpets with rug doctor). The morning DP surge wasn't as bad either up to 8.6. So I'll still keep it low today.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. The other bit of that Mattesons smoked sausage with a fried egg (Another double yolker).
D. Finally got around to making a lo dough quiche. I've rather missed quiche. Made it with bacon bits , onion, 4 wee mini tomatoes, 1 mushroom , cream, cheese and of course eggs with parsley. They are rather good. Had a 1/4 With some sweet potato chips and a little sugar free ketchup.
Sadly I only have 1 creme brulee remaining.
Tomorrow marks the return to school and day 1 for the wee one. That was a very quick 6 weeks. My sister in law and her hubby are on their way over from Australia. They're currently in Dubai Manchester, Liverpool and Chester next and finally up here on 31 August. I've asked them to go see the Terracotta warriors in Liverpool I'm looking for a gap for us to go down for a couple of days. I'd love to see them.
I have been to the exhibition of Terracotta Warriors. Brilliant! Suggest going early as possible in the day as it gets busy. Found the museum staff very helpful, and they take you in in groups of about 30 at a time, but don't rush you.

Reactions: maglil55

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oops, reprimand myself for derailing. ^^^^^^^^
Today
Brunch: bacon, sausage, egg, mushroom, decaff coffee, teaspoon of cream added
Dinner: chicken thigh, roast veg ( peppers, mushrooms, fennell, onion.) Pepsi Max, 5 walnut halves.
2 decaff coffees and plenty of water throughout day.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening fellow menu sharers. Had the chance to take my dogs on our favourite walk today. It is only possible after harvest and before ploughing but gives them total freedom of about 4-500 acres. No readings and no analysis today. Whether by coincidence or not enjoyed the food. Menu below with an estimate of carbs. Please feel free to point out if I am way too low:

Pre Breakfast Smaller sized bucket but several fillings of tea
Breakfast: Fluffy omelette (2 eggs) with smoked chicken sausage
Mid morning snack: Filter coffee with 20 mls cream;
Lunch: Tea (just the 2 pints - no need to be excessive); avocado and beef salad with plenty of olive oil and chia seeds.
Afternoon snack: H/M high fibre inulin and flaxseed bar
Evening meal: IP Pork belly in h/m barbeque sauce; buttered cabbage; hunk cheese 40 gms?
I would estimate 35-40 gms carb tops but let me know if too low estimate

Sounds like a pretty perfect menu to me, are you sure you’re drinking enough tea though?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling grotty again, sugars were up in the 8s until dinner time again, although I'm starting to think I'm eating the wrong thing at breakfast and might need more fat there.

B - SF jelly and cream
L - Salami and Maasdam cheese
D - A gorgeous ribeye, fried mushrooms and a small salad. Half a pot of Waitrose peppercoen sauce (5g carbs). Still mulling over what pudding to have...mint Oppo or 85% choc

Hope you start to feel better soon.
Ive never had jelly and cream for breakfast so don’t know how I’d react, but I do find that if I have a very low carb breakfast ( eg buttery scrambled eggs, maybe with smoked salmon if I have it) my bg often goes down after 2hrs.
Your dinner is one of my all time favourites - which pud did you decide on?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lamb bones are my least favourite, but that's just me, and the broth can be rather fatty, but of course it solidifies when cooled, so can be dealt with accordingly then, if you want to.

If this is your first bone broth, I bet you'll be amazed. I usually put mine on for longer than strictly required, as I go to bed, then switch it off (from the keep warm setting) in the morning. I never much care for washing up just before bed.

Lazy? Moi? You bet your life!

Does it intensify the broth if you leave it on Keep warm overnight? I was going to switch it off out of habit really.
I did wonder about the fattiness of lamb broth but couldnt bear to chuck all the bones out - like you said - its all experimentation at this time.