How often should I replace my meter??

dizaster

hi all,

I have had the same meter for close to three years now . it’s a Nipro Diagnostics TRUEyou meter.
Not had any problems with it until this evening.
My pre-lunch reading was 6.8, had a cup-a-soup with slice of brown bread for lunch at around 13:00.
Then tested just before tea at approx 18:00 and got a reading of 15.9. Not believing it , I tested again immediately and got a reading of 13.4 , tested again immediately and the new reading was 11.1.
I have now lost confidence in the meter .
Should I have changed my meter earlier ??

Cheers

Diz

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All meters have to conform to a fairly loose standard of within 15% accuracy
If you took your middle reading of 13 then any readings within 15% difference (so +- around 2 mmol) would count as accurate. That would mean any reading between 11 and 15 could be accurate- the higher your blood sugars the wider the allowable discrepancy between readings as it is a % based on the reading, rather than an absolute figure

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your high readings are far more likely to be a result of what you ate than a faulty meter. As @Boo1979 says those readings are consistent.

Did you wash your hands before re-testing, since a common cause of high levels can also be due to contamination from "mucky" fingers. Other causes may be due, as I've already suggested, to what you put into your mouth, but illness, pain, various medications, stress, etc can also be a possile cause of high or unusual readings. Out of date or badly stored test strips may also be a possible cause of problems. Just don't automtically blame the messenger ! :wideyed:

I'd imagine a faulty meter would show some signs by actually misbehaving, e.g. giving error messages or failing to recognise a test strip, or other erratic behaviour. I've had my Contour meter for a similar length of time and it shows no signs of going wrong, but if you no longer trust yours, then by all means replace it.

Robbity

srm18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The diabetic clinic says I should replace my meter yearly but why if it's working fine? I've had my vario iq about the same time as this person and don't like the new ones that use a phone app,

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Mine is starting to wind noisily. Mobile cassette meter. I will source a spare, just in case. GP practice has boxes from reps.

Ask nicely you may be offered a spare or call your supplier and if you fit a criteria you may be sent another.?

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all,

I have had the same meter for close to three years now . it’s a Nipro Diagnostics TRUEyou meter.
Not had any problems with it until this evening.
My pre-lunch reading was 6.8, had a cup-a-soup with slice of brown bread for lunch at around 13:00.
Then tested just before tea at approx 18:00 and got a reading of 15.9. Not believing it , I tested again immediately and got a reading of 13.4 , tested again immediately and the new reading was 11.1.
I have now lost confidence in the meter .
Should I have changed my meter earlier ??

Cheers

Diz
I don't know if there is a more straightforward statement than this: CHANGE YOUR METER NOW!
Yes I agree that meters are not 100% accurate but even at high readings, my Accu Chek Performa differs by a maximum of 1.5 points or 2 mmol/l. Your meter is not accurate sorry.