Metformin And Insulin

sarahpench

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys I’ve been type 1 8 years currently on novo rapid and tresbia...I have just been out on metformin as well..wondering what people’s experience are with taking both?

Reactions: kitedoc

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys I’ve been type 1 8 years currently on novo rapid and tresbia...I have just been out on metformin as well..wondering what people’s experience are with taking both?
Sarah - I'm not T1, and I've never taken Metformin, but in essence, it works by helping your own body utilise the onboard insulin (whether self-made (like most T2s) or injected (like T1s) a bit better, by easing any insulin resistance in play.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes for type1s it's to prevent insulin resistance or combat insulin resistance.
Its a food suppressant too.

Insulin can make some hungry and metformin can combat that for some.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes for type1s it's to prevent insulin resistance or combat insulin resistance.
Its a food suppressant too.

Insulin can make some hungry and metformin can combat that for some.

Hi @ickihun

Did you mean 'appetite suppressant' above? I'm only asking cos I'm wondering what a 'food suppressant' might be...? :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @ickihun

Did you mean 'appetite suppressant' above? I'm only asking cos I'm wondering what a 'food suppressant' might be...? :)
Ha ha
Son depriving me of sleep again. Yep. Sorry, appetite suppressant.
I even thought appetite suppressant but typed the word food. What am I like?

It seems the norm now to be woken most nights. I've been told it won't change til he's over 8yrs old. So just another 3 to go, if I'm lucky.
Its a good job I can adapt. Adapt to anything; me. Ha ha

Dee26eed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't been a diabetic for long but I take both, I have PCOS as well which makes me insulin resistant. Having the Metformin helps with the resistance so I don't end up injecting more and more Insulin.
I have found that if I have anything a little bit too fatty, I get abit of an upset stomach. (Which isn't alot) But have found I have less Insulin over all. That's what the consultant says anyway. Hope that helps

sarahpench

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't been a diabetic for long but I take both, I have PCOS as well which makes me insulin resistant. Having the Metformin helps with the resistance so I don't end up injecting more and more Insulin.
I have found that if I have anything a little bit too fatty, I get abit of an upset stomach. (Which isn't alot) But have found I have less Insulin over all. That's what the consultant says anyway. Hope that helps
Thank you...I’m finding my stomach is cramping all the time..I was on 170 units a day and putting on weight even though was strict with diet ect found out am resistant to the insulin and put me these as well for the weight as they said it should help xx

Loraines

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not having dessert, potatoes, pasta, rice, bread ....
I find insulin makes me so hungry. Would taking Metformin enable me to reduce the cravings?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I find insulin makes me so hungry. Would taking Metformin enable me to reduce the cravings?
Insulin doesn't cause cravings. Carbs do. Insulin increases leptin which is a hunger hormone.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you...I’m finding my stomach is cramping all the time..I was on 170 units a day and putting on weight even though was strict with diet ect found out am resistant to the insulin and put me these as well for the weight as they said it should help xx
Hi @sarahpench, I am unsure of your age (and it is not polite to ask a lady)! Teenagers and ? early 20 year olds can experience growth spurts where growth hormones increase at times, causing increased insulin resistance. Certainly that happened to me, but the growth spurt was followed by a time of 'normality", hypos would occur and I had to quickly scale back the insulin doses.
Alternatively, maybe there is another explanation or two for your increased insulin resistance.
Some people have commented that Metformin taken with a meal tends to cause less tummy upset. Others have been prescribed a long-acting version of Metformin and find this causes less tummy upset.
I hope things settle down for you soon. Best Wishes.

sarahpench

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @sarahpench, I am unsure of your age (and it is not polite to ask a lady)! Teenagers and ? early 20 year olds can experience growth spurts where growth hormones increase at times, causing increased insulin resistance. Certainly that happened to me, but the growth spurt was followed by a time of 'normality", hypos would occur and I had to quickly scale back the insulin doses.
Alternatively, maybe there is another explanation or two for your increased insulin resistance.
Some people have commented that Metformin taken with a meal tends to cause less tummy upset. Others have been prescribed a long-acting version of Metformin and find this causes less tummy upset.
I hope things settle down for you soon. Best Wishes.
I’m 27..been diabeticbearly 10 years and was a size 10 then my sugars started being high all the time insulin just kept going up then gained around 3 stone..when dsn said enoughs enough, and told me to take these and reduce the insulin..I will definitely take it with food and see how I go...thank you for you’re response x

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you @sarapench. I really hope the Metformin can work for you.
In addition have you spoken with your dsn or a dietitian about whether a low carb diet would be of help to you?
There are T1Ds on site who say they do well on this type of diet. Adjusting insulin to this diet is a challenge but the diet is recognised by the NHS and there are success stories out there.
The usual story I have heard is that as weight reduces insulin sensitivity improves. Fingers (and toes) crossed !!

Loraines

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not having dessert, potatoes, pasta, rice, bread ....
Insulin doesn't cause cravings. Carbs do. Insulin increases leptin which is a hunger hormone.
I ate just as many carbs before I had to take insulin, and lost 12 kg over a year. But now on insulin I am permanently hungry, even lightheaded and shaky. It is definitely the insulin. It’s put 6 kg back on in two months.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
I ate just as many carbs before I had to take insulin, and lost 12 kg over a year. But now on insulin I am permanently hungry, even lightheaded and shaky. It is definitely the insulin. It’s put 6 kg back on in two months.

Go see a proper diabetic doctor is my advice, then arrange an appointment with an older dietitian who has been and had a bit of life.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @sarahpench, I really liked your blog. How are you travelling with the metformin , insulin etc??:):( :bored:??

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
In response to older dieticians,they have experience of the pressures of life, and are aware you will ignore the standard carb advice while still striving to help you. Younger dieticians just blindly follow the rubbish they were taught at college which is carb loaded, while ignoring your views and comments.

I'm afraid bitter experience has taught me the above, to the extent that I refused to see a dietician for many years.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
In response to older dieticians,they have experience of the pressures of life, and are aware you will ignore the standard carb advice while still striving to help you. Younger dieticians just blindly follow the rubbish they were taught at college which is carb loaded, while ignoring your views and comments.

I'm afraid bitter experience has taught me the above, to the extent that I refused to see a dietician for many years.
It must vary, then. My current (quite young) diabetes dietician thinks that low carb is the way to go, not just for type 2, but for every diabetic. My previous one, who was older, just goes on about eating carbs to soak up insulin.

Reactions: alf_Josiah