Levemir Morning High Bgs

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be, but @Luckiiiineko did a 3am blood test, a couple of nights ago, which showed the Levemir hadn't changed much during the night, up until that time.

Unless she's going hypo at 5am, and going up massively after that.

Oh, this is all so difficult!!!
I agree. I am not an expert on Levemir, but I do find that Lantus can bring my sugar down gradually. Although I wake up if I have hypos I never experienced that rebound but I did wake up with BG around 3s...

Reactions: Alison54321

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well I upped my levemir by 3 units, woke up with even higher BG than yesterday!! :(
Could your levemir be giving you a somogyi effect?

"Chronic Somogyi rebound is a contested explanation of phenomena of elevated blood sugars in the morning. Also called the Somogyi effect and posthypoglycemic hyperglycemia, it is a rebounding high blood sugar that is a response to low blood sugar."

By increasing your units it has possibly increased this effect.???

I'd suggest you monitor your bgs hourly through one or two nights (by setting an alarm). To get the full picture before adjusting your units. Well, I would, if oked by my team to adjust myself. Or like suggested a basal test to see if your units are the correct level.

I'm sure you will get to the bottom of this. :)

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've just realised mine has snapped on the inside and I've only just found out... but

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_u...o-and-novopen-5-recalled-due-to-risk-of-fault

Possible cause??

That sounds quite possible @Luckiiiineko! The recall in your link was in 2017, but if you've notice something wrong with your device, there's every chance this could be the answer. I suppose the test will be what happens when the device is replaced - I'd probably go back to your original dose when you get a new one, as wouldn't want to accidentally overdose.

Luckiiiineko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds quite possible @Luckiiiineko! The recall in your link was in 2017, but if you've notice something wrong with your device, there's every chance this could be the answer. I suppose the test will be what happens when the device is replaced - I'd probably go back to your original dose when you get a new one, as wouldn't want to accidentally overdose.

Got another on the way and have contacted novo nordisk too but will definitely go back to original units.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Definitely could be cause. I had bad levels too and got new pens before this notice came out.... saw a big difference.

The other thing is that I didn’t have DP or waking rises all my diabetic life. They did just start...

To be honest I don’t think 1 hourly checks are necessary during the night. 2 hourly should be sufficient. I have done a lot of basal testing nights and days and I do mine 2 hourly at nights say at 12, 2,4,6, and 8am and the next night do 11,1,3,5,7am.....

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
? Perhaps BSLs at 3 am and ? 5 or 6 am on early Sunday morning, might clinch it re: DP. ??

Reactions: donnellysdogs

LeonTee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I experienced something similar with Lantus. For about a week and a half I was waking to high BG levels. I too did early morning tests (3am/4am) and my levels were ok(ish). By 7.30am they were 15/16/17. One evening my pen got stuck as I was administering my dose. I took it apart and there was a crack in the cartridge. I obviously changed it, and returned to my usual dose, and everything returned to normal.

Good luck!

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could your levemir be giving you a somogyi effect?

"Chronic Somogyi rebound is a contested explanation of phenomena of elevated blood sugars in the morning. Also called the Somogyi effect and posthypoglycemic hyperglycemia, it is a rebounding high blood sugar that is a response to low blood sugar."

By increasing your units it has possibly increased this effect.???

I'd suggest you monitor your bgs hourly through one or two nights (by setting an alarm). To get the full picture before adjusting your units. Well, I would, if oked by my team to adjust myself. Or like suggested a basal test to see if your units are the correct level.

I'm sure you will get to the bottom of this. :)

It isn't a given that this is something most type 1s experience. I suspect a lot of people blamed DP on this before CGMs/Libres came about and people could see what was actually going on. I've read it's more common for type 2s and maybe some type 1s diagnosed as adults. I know if I'm low during the night I will just stay low, there is no rebound at all, and Dr. Bernstein doesn't believe Somogyi is a real phenomenon. I don't agree with everything he says and I'm certain it's real for some people, but I think it's too often given as an explanation for waking up high when the real cause is DP, food that digests hours after eating, inadequate basal, or a combination of those factors.

Luckiiiineko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I experienced something similar with Lantus. For about a week and a half I was waking to high BG levels. I too did early morning tests (3am/4am) and my levels were ok(ish). By 7.30am they were 15/16/17. One evening my pen got stuck as I was administering my dose. I took it apart and there was a crack in the cartridge. I obviously changed it, and returned to my usual dose, and everything returned to normal.

Good luck!

Yep, got a new pen on Monday and have woken up this morning with normal bg's. SUCH a relief as I was really panicking about the constant high sugars in the morning!!