Low Carb On A Budget?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all different in our needs and what is available to us.

I can see no harm in us sharing our experiences, as it may be that others will also find good, helpful and cheap butchers in their area, even though some have not.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The link to my local butcher's in post #80 was removed by moderators as it was deemed to be advertising. Not bothered about that but I wonder why links to Amazon do not count as advertising?

Reactions: lorraine95

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
IMG_6500.jpg

This makes me cry

Papasmurf1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's good for most people, but eating meat and poultry is awkward for me as I only eat kosher meat and it's a lot more expensive and less choice to eat than other people, I can't just buy off the shelf from the supermarket or go to any butcher, there are no cheaper cuts, I'm also trying to lose weight, I eat eggs and fish, a little meat now and again,

Reactions: lorraine95

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It's good for most people, but eating meat and poultry is awkward for me as I only eat kosher meat and it's a lot more expensive and less choice to eat than other people, I can't just buy off the shelf from the supermarket or go to any butcher, there are no cheaper cuts, I'm also trying to lose weight, I eat eggs and fish, a little meat now and again,
Your choice should work just as well as any expensive cut meats. Fish should become much cheaper soon. To our benefit. Well low income homes will welcome any change to fish cost. I buy Tinned fish.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also eat only kosher meat. I love chicken wings and they are cheap. If you are lucky enough to live in London Silverman's sell knob of bola a delicious fatty cut which becomes melt in the mouth meat when braised for ages in the oven. They sell 1 for under £2 but 2 is a meal really. Use the bones to make soup. I use quorn mixed in mince and make shepherds pie topped with low GI sweet potato!! My staple is eggs in various ways. I make soups using lentils for protein and bulk. Re fish try Lidl's pickled herrings in a cream sauce!! Also in Lidl smoked mackerel and in some place you can buy smoked salmon trimmings. Good luck

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm not suggesting this but have you seen how much cheaper bird nuts are in the pet shops? Shame they aren't as hygienic as our cooking nuts or snacking nuts.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've found a great butchers..... now just need a new Independant fishmonger.
I used to know a great one in the 1990s in Sunderland. He did beautiful mixed seafood too.
These men were pushed out of business by the E. U regs.
They all need replacing but some of their skills are lost too.

Butcher has made me up a mixed bag of sliced cooked meats. Mostly in the freezer now. Pork and ham are in the fridge.
I'm ready for a meaty low carb Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Is it possible to be low carb on a very small budget? I feel like I’ve lost all the cheap ingredients that turn a small amount of meat into a filling meal (pasta, rice, bread) and while I would love to replace that bulk with more meat, cheese, cream, eggs etc those are all pretty expensive in comparison. Even veg costs quite a bit if you need a lot of it and the filling ones are the carby ones!
YOU can get nice fish fairly cheap at the end of the day on special reductions.... learn to fry it and add olive oil herbs butter lemon juice ...etc very nutritious filling low carb and Quite Luxurious...

Reactions: Alison Campbell

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
A vegetarian diet is healthier for you and the planet.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am afraid this is too broad a brush. I upped my oats, fruits and orange juice and within 1 month ended up with a HbA1c of 134. I was eating meat and fish also at the time. I dropped the high starch vegetarian foods (rice, pasta, potatoes, bananas, grapes etc) kept the low starch vegetarian friendly fruit and veg (berries, broccoli etc). Throughout I kept the meat and fish ditching vegetable oils and am now in remission.

Vegetarianism can work, but please note the diabetes rate in parts of India that are vegetarian for example. Another point on meat is that all of the studies use relative risk (which in my view should be banned as it is like a financial adviser saying last year I made you £1 profit on £100, this I have made you £2, haven't I done great making a 100% profit ). If you have 2 cups that look the same size to the eye, with relative risk you can say that one is larger by 18% - this is a con, when the actual difference is 1.1% - the "absolute" risk (which for me is the only truth) - this is what they did with tests on processed meat . As a general average person if I said your chance of getting cancer is 5 in 5500, but if you eat 50 grams of bacon from now to death and your chance of colorectal cancer is 6 in 5500, would you see that as 18%, it's a lie. Don't get me wrong, over charring meat is not great, and I feel nitrates should be removed from processing...I also hate for example mass produced chickens that cannot stand. But for what I would class as traditional meat, an ancient food is not the cause of modern ills - another lie (more likely vegetable oils and high carb / sugary foods).

The Vegetarian / Vegan movements are well financed and have religious and other massive organisational structures behind them. LCHF / Keto are less organised, so when mass media statements come out it is hard to challenge the truth. So for example does it matter that a recent Oxford study showing meat to again be bad had Vegans behind it - this was not in any of the reports, but again a non interested member of the public would take this as fact because of the credibility of Oxford university.

Regarding the environment reported numbers have been classed as fact even when the originators of reports have pulled them due to be admittedly wrongly calculated. Water use has been added to what cows use even though the rain that falls would have fallen on the land in any event - again a miss us of statistics. Swapping animal farming for grain and soy equivalents depletes soil quality, nature knows best and has always been better than woman / mankind modern techniques. I would ask that you review this video by an expert on a par with any of the Vegans who promote their world view for some balance:

Just one further point if meat were so bad why is this not showing up in "our" blood tests, diabetics have got to be one of the most tested populous out there - my markers are great, even after pounding additional meat and fish in the last 6 months (diabetes damaged my kidney function from the 70's to 60's eGFR, I dropped 1 point after doubling my meat and fish intake (and gained loads of muscle).

Last edited:
Reactions: lucylocket61

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

What do we do with all the upland pasture unsuitable for growing crops which is now used for sheep in the warmer months? What do we do with the lowland fens which are used for grazing livestock?
As a type two diabetic I have to avoid high carb foods - so how do manage my blood glucose levels on a vegetarian regime?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What do we do with all the upland pasture unsuitable for growing crops which is now used for sheep in the warmer months? What do we do with the lowland fens which are used for grazing livestock?
As a type two diabetic I have to avoid high carb foods - so how do manage my blood glucose levels on a vegetarian regime?

Indeed. In my locality there is zero arable farming. Just cattle and sheep. The land is unsuitable. The farmers would sell to developers and we would be engulfed in new housing estates and all the nasty fumes from the thousands of new cars.. This is already happening.

Reactions: lucylocket61

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but this is the current propaganda that is infecting our news channels. I'm not convinced by it and I refuse to believe that cow farts are responsible for global warming.. especially when you consider aircraft, road transportation, heavy industry, concrete and cars.
My meat comes from the farms that surround my local butcher and I no longer consume veg from overseas (unlike hubs who bought some Peruvian asparagus today.. how much CO2 was involved in transporting that to Worthing?).

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

A vegetarian diet may be healthier for you personally. I prefer a meat centric diet which has improved my personal health. As to the health of the planet, well, that is highly debateable. Drive a car? Use biofuels? Eat grains reared in squillions of hectares of monoculture? Use lecky and gas at will? Much?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Might be for you and FWIW, the planet will be just fine with one less crusade and one less pulpit

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if we kill all the cattle and sheep, we then need more fields to grow flax and cotton, plus needing more oil to make synthetic fibres, as we wont have enough wool, leather etc for clothing. Its not all about eating animals, its also about the byproducts they give us.