What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, after over 2 years on this forum I think it is time for me to join this thread! I have no idea how you all eat so little during the day so thought I should put a few menus up and see what you think. Not sure I'll have the time to add each day so will see how it goes.

Today's menu is:
Breakfast - 2 coffees with slurp of double cream
Mid Morning - 2 Babybel
Lunch - mixed salad leaves, 3 baby toms, cucumber, half advocado, 5 olives and half an orange pepper with a tin of red salmon mixed with mayo
Snack - 1 handful of peanuts and 1 of almonds
Supper will be 2 large lamb loin chops, brocolli, wilted Swiss chard with crumbled feta and maybe a scoop or two of oppo or a couple of squares of green and blacks 85% chocolate.
Also a few cups of black tea and a couple of glasses of water.

I keep seeing inulin mentioned on here. Can anyone tell me what it is and what you use it for?

@ianpspurs, I really like the sound of your H/M treats, high fibre bars and, I think, you mentioned a flapjacks thing, do you have recipes you'd be willing to share?
@CoastGirl The basic ingredients for a h/f chocolate bar are here. The bars are made in a silicone soap mould

60 gms 100% chocolate per bar - I use 100% Callebaut in 2.5 kg bags
1.5 tablespoon flaxseed and .5 tsp psyllium husk powder per bar (can be left out)
.5 to 1 tsp spoon inulin per bar
8 oz butter between 12 so 1.25 ozs per bar
2 tablespoons erythritol to make caramel
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
Melt the butter then add inulin and erythrytol and stir until it makes caramel - you will smell before seeing. Add to the flaxseed mix and mix thoroughly. Chocolate could be melting in a bowl/bain marie- we add cream sometimes - mix together. We sometimes add chopped walnuts and dehydrated raspberries. Push down firmly into the mould and place in fridge - far better left a day or 2.
For flapjack use more flaxseed and inulin tomake the caramel. Also, I use Bulk Powders chocolate caramel syrup - I like it sweet so just squeezed counted to 10 and thought that'll do. Place these in smaller moulds as I find they are highly effective.
Both very handy to take on car journeys - the chocky bars can go hard without cream, the flapjack stay soft.
Hope this helps and obviously taste as you go. Brin the flaxseeds first and I find mixing the flaxseed and inulin a day or more beforehand and storing in a dark place is very helpful. That mixture goes like digestive biscuits. I always have a big tub in a cupboard.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Off to Cyprus for a week on Friday - not overly worried about how I will low carb whilst there! Lots of meats, cheeses, salads, thick full fat Greek yoghurt and nuts will be really enjoyable!
We really liked Cyprus last November. Loved having breakfast outside thinking of cold/wet UK - Mrs P liked the champagne for breakfast, . Spent all day sunbathing then went to the gym for an hour every night. Food was amazing. Enjoy

Kingmidas

We really liked Cyprus last November. Loved having breakfast outside thinking of cold/wet UK - Mrs P liked the champagne for breakfast, . Spent all day sunbathing then went to the gym for an hour every night. Food was amazing. Enjoy
I've lost count of how many times it is now we've been - my husband lived there as a child when his dad was an army officer, so it's like a second home. Love it!

Reactions: ianpspurs

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much @ianpspurs for taking the time to write up your recipes. I'll definitely be giving these a go when I've purchased some inulin powder. I'll let you know how I get on.

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feeling much better today and sugars showing that. Woke at 7.3 and was down to 5.2 by 12.

Had a lovely mooch around Exeter today with a friend and treated myself to come hotel chocolat goodies.

B-nothing
L-nothing
D-3 Sainsbury’s Toulouse sausages, a portobello mushroom in garlic butter and a plum tomato from a tin. Also snapped my 70% Choc with orange into loads of pieces and had 2. I’m guessing about 15g of choc which is about 3g carbs. It was soooo good!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@CoastGirl The basic ingredients for a h/f chocolate bar are here. The bars are made in a silicone soap mould

60 gms 100% chocolate per bar - I use 100% Callebaut in 2.5 kg bags
1.5 tablespoon flaxseed and .5 tsp psyllium husk powder per bar (can be left out)
.5 to 1 tsp spoon inulin per bar
8 oz butter between 12 so 1.25 ozs per bar
2 tablespoons erythritol to make caramel
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
Melt the butter then add inulin and erythrytol and stir until it makes caramel - you will smell before seeing. Add to the flaxseed mix and mix thoroughly. Chocolate could be melting in a bowl/bain marie- we add cream sometimes - mix together. We sometimes add chopped walnuts and dehydrated raspberries. Push down firmly into the mould and place in fridge - far better left a day or 2.
For flapjack use more flaxseed and inulin tomake the caramel. Also, I use Bulk Powders chocolate caramel syrup - I like it sweet so just squeezed counted to 10 and thought that'll do. Place these in smaller moulds as I find they are highly effective.
Both very handy to take on car journeys - the chocky bars can go hard without cream, the flapjack stay soft.
Hope this helps and obviously taste as you go. Brin the flaxseeds first and I find mixing the flaxseed and inulin a day or more beforehand and storing in a dark place is very helpful. That mixture goes like digestive biscuits. I always have a big tub in a cupboard.
Maybe one for the recipe booklet? if you wanted to put it into word or I could copy and paste and format? Also does it have to be silicone soap moulds or could it be mini loaf moulds?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe one for the recipe booklet? if you wanted to put it into word or I could copy and paste and format? Also does it have to be silicone soap moulds or could it be mini loaf moulds?
I have no access to Word but I think I could play about with google docs and either get a Word version or rtf which would drop in, The moulds could easily be mini loaf moulds they were just what we sourced easily. The safe and easy way to avoid format issues would be the old ctrl c and v routine.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no access to Word but I think I could play about with google docs and either get a Word version or rtf which would drop in, The moulds could easily be mini loaf moulds they were just what we sourced easily. The safe and easy way to avoid format issues would be the old ctrl c and v routine.
Don’t worry I’ll copy and paste and standardise into booklet when get opp in a day or if get chance. It could go into the picnics/snacks section if you are happy with that. If I do it when next on pc it’s much easier! Thank you Ian. Hope you can read booklet I sent you in word? I notice it dosent display properly on my iPad although I have a free word package on my phone so it displays fine there.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t worry I’ll copy and paste and standardise into booklet when get opp in a day or if get chance. It could go into the picnics/snacks section if you are happy with that. If I do it when next on pc it’s much easier! Thank you Ian. Hope you can read booklet I sent you in word? I notice it dosent display properly on my iPad although I have a free word package on my phone so it displays fine there.
I should be able to make it work. I was Head of Computing and IT teaching A Level so it will be a bit embarrassing if I can't! Good idea to put it in picnics/snacks

Last edited:
Reactions: shelley262

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I should be able to make it work. I was Head of Computing and IT teaching A Level so it will be a bit embarrassing if I can't! Goo idea to put it in picnics/snacks
I’m also going to give this recipe a trial run myself this weekend it looks very tasty and could save us a fortune on the likes of Adonis bars and up our fibre content greatly!

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Welcome to the thread @CoastGirl - great ideas, support and general banter here. Hope you will enjoy it.

Glad you are feeling better @purplepenguin

Bit of a hungry day today.

Lunch - smoked salmon and cream cheese folllowed by a few almonds. Still hungry an hour later so had a bag of pork crunch and a peperami. @DJC3 this was the last of my nice M&S whipped cream cheese so will be on to your Lidl Polish brand next time

Dinner. - brined chicken leg (@shelley262 would that be useful for the booklet? I could write it up in Word when reviewing it) followed by a large portion of lazy dessert of extra thick double cream mixed with almond butter and Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Stick a fork in summer 2018 it is done. Soon be time to hibernate. Now is the season to get the kindling in to dry, get the hedges and ditches sorted and order and stack all the hardwood. I really like seeing a well stacked log pile - anyone else call it a cord? A level results at midnight - still no staying up all night to analyse and explain anymore. Best wishes to any children/grandchildren relatives awaiting results. Can be an amazing or harrowing time.
Menu today focused on evening meal I am yet to eat but having tasted some in preparation it is shaping up to be a thing of beauty.

Pre Breakfast Big bucket of tea with several fillings - I am a crowd pleaser
Breakfast: Bulletproof Coffee with 2 tsps inulin and Bulk Powders Vanilla Syrup - on labels says 0 cals and 0 carbs;
Mid morning snack: Tea - completely forgot about that as a drink ( 3 pints; this is getting like Len Goodman’s severnnn) https://media.giphy.com/media/SF9PYkci9GFGM/giphy.gif
Lunch: Lo dough wrap with slice cooked beef, h/m mayo, some leaves, a few cherry tomatoes, radishes and cucumber ; Piece of Polish smoked chicken sausage as I was v hungry by 14.30
Afternoon snack: Water
Evening meal: Fluffy omelette with Polish sausage and cheese; blackberry and apple crumble with double cream - the fruit tastes amazing sweetened with Bulk Powders Butterscotch 0 cals and carbs syrup. I also have no idea how I lived to 63 without eating my own weight in Polish sausage.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Welcome to the thread @CoastGirl - great ideas, support and general banter here. Hope you will enjoy it.

Glad you are feeling better @purplepenguin

Bit of a hungry day today.

Lunch - smoked salmon and cream cheese folllowed by a few almonds. Still hungry an hour later so had a bag of pork crunch and a peperami. @DJC3 this was the last of my nice M&S whipped cream cheese so will be on to your Lidl Polish brand next time

Dinner. - brined chicken leg (@shelley262 would that be useful for the booklet? I could write it up in Word when reviewing it) followed by a large portion of lazy dessert of extra thick double cream mixed with almond butter and Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons
Hi @Goonergal yes please to the brined chicken recipe - would be great if you could slot it in to the word document and then send me revised version when done. It would go well in the main meals section I think. Love that forum members are being so supportive in developing what I hope will be a helpful resource for other members thank you

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Stick a fork in summer 2018 it is done. Soon be time to hibernate. Now is the season to get the kindling in to dry, get the hedges and ditches sorted and order and stack all the hardwood. I really like seeing a well stacked log pile - anyone else call it a cord? A level results at midnight - still no staying up all night to analyse and explain. Best wishes to any children/grandchildren relatives awaiting results. Can be an amazing or harrowing time.
Menu today focused on evening meal I am yest to eat but having tasted some in preparation it is shaping up to be a thing of beauty.

Pre Breakfast Big bucket of tea with several fillings - I am a crowd pleaser
Breakfast: Bulletproof Coffee with 2 tsps inulin and Bulk Powders Vanilla Syrup - on labels says 0 cals and 0 carbs;
Mid morning snack: Tea - completely forgot about that as a drink ( 3 pints; this is getting like Len Goodman’s severnnn) https://media.giphy.com/media/SF9PYkci9GFGM/giphy.gif
Lunch: Lo dough wrap with slice cooked beef, h/m mayo, some leaves, a few cherry tomatoes, radishes and cucumber ; Piece of Polish smoked chicken sausage as I was v hungry by 14.30
Afternoon snack: Water
Evening meal: Fluffy omelette with Polish sausage and cheese; blackberry and apple crumble with double cream - the fruit tastes amazing sweetened with Bulk Powders Butterscotch 0 cals and carbs syrup. I also have no idea how I lived to 63 without eating my own weight in Polish sausage.
Bulk powders is calling out to me as well as your snack bars! Checking out in a bit

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all I’m feeling relieved to get first draft of recipe booklet out there I have just spent four consecutive days and two whole evenings on it - on top of any spare hours squeezed in over last few weeks! So as you can imagine it’s a bit of a good feeling! I got up at stupid o clock today too for my cholesterol blood test draw. She quizzed me on arrival to check I’d drunk lots of water yesterday evening and first thing and said that she had to check as along with receptionist she was the only person in the building and so had to be certain before she took it ther was no risk of any patient fainting! What me - all that blood testing for bgs we do on a daily basis! She also said if she was in doubt she sent them away and rebooked them - what, I thought, after all that alcohol abstention and fasting for 14 hours - so felt kind of relieved when sh3 took it successfully! We now await results and possible gp phone call.
Breakfast later after appt one rasher of bacon and fried egg on one slice of lc toast
Lunch four seeded lc crispbreads with pate and cheese
Dinner bolognese served with 30g of bean pasta and large glass of red wine followed by one mini loaf clafoutis with yoghurt
Family all round for lunch tomorrow - youngest son on way to green man festival in wales and bringing puppy to us for board and lodgings until Monday should be fun.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all I’m feeling relieved to get first draft of recipe booklet out there I have just spent four consecutive days and two whole evenings on it - on top of any spare hours squeezed in over last few weeks! So as you can imagine it’s a bit of a good feeling! I got up at stupid o clock today too for my cholesterol blood test draw. She quizzed me on arrival to check I’d drunk lots of water yesterday evening and first thing and said that she had to check as along with receptionist she was the only person in the building and so had to be certain before she took it ther was no risk of any patient fainting! What me - all that blood testing for bgs we do on a daily basis! She also said if she was in doubt she sent them away and rebooked them - what, I thought, after all that alcohol abstention and fasting for 14 hours - so felt kind of relieved when sh3 took it successfully! We now await results and possible gp phone call.
Breakfast later after appt one rasher of bacon and fried egg on one slice of lc toast
Lunch four seeded lc crispbreads with pate and cheese
Dinner bolognese served with 30g of bean pasta and large glass of red wine followed by one mini loaf clafoutis with yoghurt
Family all round for lunch tomorrow - youngest son on way to green man festival in wales and bringing puppy to us for board and lodgings until Monday should be fun.
Wow, busy few days and you are to be congratulated on the booklet and the sterling efforts to lower cholesterol levels. Best wishes for the results.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Goonergal yes please to the brined chicken recipe - would be great if you could slot it in to the word document and then send me revised version when done. It would go well in the main meals section I think. Love that forum members are being so supportive in developing what I hope will be a helpful resource for other members thank you

Will do. And good luck with the cholesterol test. I have my blood draw in the morning for my HbA1c and cholesterol. Very interested in the former, not so much in the latter.

Reactions: Geoffno6

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all,
I’ve taken the plunge and signed up for yoga classes, I start first week of September, it’s something I’ve wanted to try for a while and now feel might be the right time, surely be easier to achieve some of the poses without the extra weight I had been carrying, we will see.
Coffee with cream on waking
B at work, I took a baked egg with salmon, cheese and tomato, the egg had cream added, also tried a mug of Rooibos tea, it’s very nice, Tesco only had the vanilla infused variety so I didn’t add milk
L salmon salad with crumbled Stilton and dressing, remainder of my salami crisps and smoked cheese from yesterday
2 more mugs of Rooibos tea throughout the afternoon
Frothy coffee and half of a PhD smart bar when I got home
D Keto mug bread, bacon, fried egg and halloumi fries
Glass of red

Attachments

• 56149E16-3CB9-4978-B252-2F8D216A8861.jpeg
    56149E16-3CB9-4978-B252-2F8D216A8861.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 327
  • DDC99202-602C-4A1B-8267-44B4B1BB5DE4.jpeg
    DDC99202-602C-4A1B-8267-44B4B1BB5DE4.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 389
  • 2C8E5B8D-1719-47A7-AE8C-1D21609EC679.jpeg