Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad manners, noisy neighbours
Hello Everyone,
Apologies for the long post, but...

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now, and have found some reassurance to what has been happening to me, for a good 'few years' (read, decades?) now.

Looking through some posts, I feel that I can relate to the 'reactive hypoglycemia' experience. I know that I feel rubbish if I don't eat regularly, and more so when having foods of the higher G.I. variety, so have been eating a diet of 'brown this', 'wholegrain that', but occasionally have chocolate (due to my other half buying them... )

My old diet consisted of brown rice with most things, porridge in the morning with Alpro milk with squirt of honey, all sorts of meats and veg. No bread or wheaty stuff, as I get the worst heartburn with that kind of food. Convenient (I have automatic rice cooker!), I work from home most of the time, but long hours in a mentally straining job.

This came to a head about 5 weeks ago when I had to work away for a week. Choices for lunch were pie and chips or a wholemeal ham salad baguette. Of course I plumped for the baguette (devil, deep blue sea?), along with a preventative ranitadine to prevent any volcanicity from my stomach.

Anyway, long story short, I had lunch at 1pm and come 5 pm, still working, I started feeling my usual 'low' coming on (not had anything else to eat, as it's the usual office fare of snack machine), and I thought, I'll sit this out, sometimes it goes away, and having main meal in a couple of hours anyway. Before I knew it, slight headache, sweating, and ready to bite someone's head off, and feeling rather wobbly. Ended up with me demanding chocolate from a Director who happened to be walking by, so not the wisest career move to date! Eek. He got me a Galaxy bar from the machine, and I felt better after 2 squares :)

This incident reminded me of a similar thing that happened over 20 years ago - my Lucozade incident, and tbh, this more recent incident scared me a bit and must research more.

I did already know about insulin and fat storing, and have struggled to keep my weight down for years. Why have I been so complacent all these years, I am asking myself now. No point beating myself up about these things, as I am making changes now, and perhaps see my GP (and try to not sound like a hyperchondriac?)

So, I got home and got a SD Codefree meter from Amazon and now testing meals in accordance to the Blood Sugar 101 site, and also trying to catch my 'lows' (so far, had a mildish one at 3.6, another at 3.9, both done on purpose, but no way felt as bad as I did at work).

I thought about testing pre meal, post meal, 1, 2, 3 hours, or until levels back in the 5's. So trying my usual 'healthy' choices of homemade, low G.I. and readings, 10, 11.4, in the 8's, in the 9's, and I'm mentally kicking myself up the wotsits seeing these numbers! Always comes back down to the 5's, with the maximum I seen, was a rice dish that took 4 hours of above 9 before crashing down to the high 3's level (and had a hot chocolate to bring back normality).

I did house move last year, joined a new GP surgery and they did the 40+ year old MOT tests, all normal and HBA1C of 5.5. And no, I've not seen my GP about the above incident, since I get back to normal BS after meals (low to mid 5's), and wake up BS averages 4.8. I just don't like being in the 'toxic' range, so....

So now, doing the LCHF approach, reading this site, Diet Doctor and have now on this way of eating for a few weeks now. 5 kg lost (I'm 5'6" and a half, and started around 75 kg) and feel improved and no lows. Measuring the BS reaction to foods, I've had to totally give up all rice, porridge, trim down the pasta portions to 'no point in this' levels , but have not tested bread or potatoes, as these don't form part of my usual diet anyway. In comes more fresh veg, meat, all stir fried in a wok, and I'm probably eating more nutrients now than before :) Foods that instead of doubling my BS level at 1 and sometimes 2 hours, to moving it only 0.4 in the same timeframe. Am also feeling much better, and can go without eating for hours. If I can fit into my size 12's instead of squeezing, then that alone will be a good result :)

Thankyou for reading my 'essay' and thankyou for letting me read the very useful info on this site. At least now I understand why I can eat 600 calories plus some, then burn maybe a couple hundred before feeling ravenous again. No wonder I gain weight easily! Am hoping to carry on control by diet and life style alone.

Best wishes to everyone,
Lou

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Hello Everyone,
Apologies for the long post, but...

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now, and have found some reassurance to what has been happening to me, for a good 'few years' (read, decades?) now.

Looking through some posts, I feel that I can relate to the 'reactive hypoglycemia' experience. I know that I feel rubbish if I don't eat regularly, and more so when having foods of the higher G.I. variety, so have been eating a diet of 'brown this', 'wholegrain that', but occasionally have chocolate (due to my other half buying them... )

My old diet consisted of brown rice with most things, porridge in the morning with Alpro milk with squirt of honey, all sorts of meats and veg. No bread or wheaty stuff, as I get the worst heartburn with that kind of food. Convenient (I have automatic rice cooker!), I work from home most of the time, but long hours in a mentally straining job.

This came to a head about 5 weeks ago when I had to work away for a week. Choices for lunch were pie and chips or a wholemeal ham salad baguette. Of course I plumped for the baguette (devil, deep blue sea?), along with a preventative ranitadine to prevent any volcanicity from my stomach.

Anyway, long story short, I had lunch at 1pm and come 5 pm, still working, I started feeling my usual 'low' coming on (not had anything else to eat, as it's the usual office fare of snack machine), and I thought, I'll sit this out, sometimes it goes away, and having main meal in a couple of hours anyway. Before I knew it, slight headache, sweating, and ready to bite someone's head off, and feeling rather wobbly. Ended up with me demanding chocolate from a Director who happened to be walking by, so not the wisest career move to date! Eek. He got me a Galaxy bar from the machine, and I felt better after 2 squares :)

This incident reminded me of a similar thing that happened over 20 years ago - my Lucozade incident, and tbh, this more recent incident scared me a bit and must research more.

I did already know about insulin and fat storing, and have struggled to keep my weight down for years. Why have I been so complacent all these years, I am asking myself now. No point beating myself up about these things, as I am making changes now, and perhaps see my GP (and try to not sound like a hyperchondriac?)

So, I got home and got a SD Codefree meter from Amazon and now testing meals in accordance to the Blood Sugar 101 site, and also trying to catch my 'lows' (so far, had a mildish one at 3.6, another at 3.9, both done on purpose, but no way felt as bad as I did at work).

I thought about testing pre meal, post meal, 1, 2, 3 hours, or until levels back in the 5's. So trying my usual 'healthy' choices of homemade, low G.I. and readings, 10, 11.4, in the 8's, in the 9's, and I'm mentally kicking myself up the wotsits seeing these numbers! Always comes back down to the 5's, with the maximum I seen, was a rice dish that took 4 hours of above 9 before crashing down to the high 3's level (and had a hot chocolate to bring back normality).

I did house move last year, joined a new GP surgery and they did the 40+ year old MOT tests, all normal and HBA1C of 5.5. And no, I've not seen my GP about the above incident, since I get back to normal BS after meals (low to mid 5's), and wake up BS averages 4.8. I just don't like being in the 'toxic' range, so....

So now, doing the LCHF approach, reading this site, Diet Doctor and have now on this way of eating for a few weeks now. 5 kg lost (I'm 5'6" and a half, and started around 75 kg) and feel improved and no lows. Measuring the BS reaction to foods, I've had to totally give up all rice, porridge, trim down the pasta portions to 'no point in this' levels , but have not tested bread or potatoes, as these don't form part of my usual diet anyway. In comes more fresh veg, meat, all stir fried in a wok, and I'm probably eating more nutrients now than before :) Foods that instead of doubling my BS level at 1 and sometimes 2 hours, to moving it only 0.4 in the same timeframe. Am also feeling much better, and can go without eating for hours. If I can fit into my size 12's instead of squeezing, then that alone will be a good result :)

Thankyou for reading my 'essay' and thankyou for letting me read the very useful info on this site. At least now I understand why I can eat 600 calories plus some, then burn maybe a couple hundred before feeling ravenous again. No wonder I gain weight easily! Am hoping to carry on control by diet and life style alone.

Best wishes to everyone,
Lou
Well done, Lou! Prior to diagnosis I used to have incidents like the one that led you to ask that manager to get you a chocolate bar. My 6 monthly diabetes checks always came back "fine" and I had no idea I could do home testing to figure it out until my HbA1c crossed over the 48 mark and I was diagnosed with T2.

During those years I carried small snacks with me everywhere so I could revive myself when needed.

Sounds like you have got things under control which is fantastic. My only suggestion would be to test regularly enough to ensure your BGs aren't creeping back up. More than once, I went into a kind of denial and gave up caring about my BGs. That led to big problems. You sound way more sensible than I was, so it's unlikely you will slip like I did. I'm still emotionally raw from the experience, so a bit obsessed with it for now.

I'm thrilled you have improved your health so much. Knowledge is power!

Reactions: Prem51 and kitedoc

Diver Lou

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done, Lou! Prior to diagnosis I used to have incidents like the one that led you to ask that manager to get you a chocolate bar. My 6 monthly diabetes checks always came back "fine" and I had no idea I could do home testing to figure it out until my HbA1c crossed over the 48 mark and I was diagnosed with T2.

During those years I carried small snacks with me everywhere so I could revive myself when needed.

Sounds like you have got things under control which is fantastic. My only suggestion would be to test regularly enough to ensure your BGs aren't creeping back up. More than once, I went into a kind of denial and gave up caring about my BGs. That led to big problems. You sound way more sensible than I was, so it's unlikely you will slip like I did. I'm still emotionally raw from the experience, so a bit obsessed with it for now.

I'm thrilled you have improved your health so much. Knowledge is power!
Thankyou Jenny,
I think it's taking me over 40 years to reach some sort of level of sensibility, and can't guarantee that the future won't bring slip ups, as life can and will get in the way. Can only plod on doing my best and am at a stage where I'm kind of looking forward to eating out / working away, so I can test, yet dreading it at the same time? As for taking snacks, it's usually me driving myself and another work colleague to the head office (couple hundred miles) and he always comments on the <ahem> snacks I keep on the back seat. Poor guy has taken the brunt of my lows for a good few years now... he now knows if I say I need some lunch, I need lunch.

As for denial and obsession, I suspected I had this problem from my 20's, and I came across Dr Atkin's orange book and followed that for a couple of years in my late 20's / early 30's and felt 'level' (it's the only way I can describe it), but then neglected myself a bit due to life getting in the way. Am now also obsessed, and am currently feeling that's the only way to be whilst on this learning path?

I do have an 'all or nothing' approach to things type of personality, but seeing those BS numbers recently has really given me the kick needed to take care of me seriously. Also feel mindset changing that if I were to go out, wind up with a high BS (unintentionally: not many places seem to cater for LCHF foods), then it's time to get straight back on the horse, so to speak :)

Think it boils down to that we all got to take care of ourselves the best we can, and keep an open mind (lordy, I sound like my Mum now!)

All The Best,
Lou

Reactions: Prem51 and kitedoc

Diver Lou

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hello,
Not posted in a while, but I have been lurking on the forum :)

Just an update since the beginning of May time. I WAS touching 75 kg. Am now going under 64 kg and at weight I was about 20 years ago!!! I have still not bothered my GP; sticking to LCHF is working very well :)

My other (non-diabetic) half also bought himself a glucose meter as he had also been gaining weight over several years. His GP just puts it down to old age though. He has read around on this subject and has decided to join me doing LCHF.

His sugars are fine, as in that he doesn't 'spike up' after meals, but he has the Dawn Phenomenon (6.3 mmol/l). He wakes up and feel he has to eat to bring the levels down. He did try fasting a few times in the morning, where his levels will go up to 6.8 before coming down. Then his levels continue down throughout the day. We kind of understand that this could take several months to resolve itself.

Anyway, he's managed to lose 8 kg so far, so now I'm not struggling to zip up his diving drysuit (see profile pic) :p

LCHF - after my final blowout on a Father's Day meal that involved cake (read 12.7 spike!!! OH got an 8 after same food and same timing). We have both knuckled down, enjoying our fried breakfasts, stir frys (all in butter, none of this PUFA/toxic oil anymore), roast meats, etc. We are also feeling so much better in ourselves.

Thank you for all the informative nuggets (non-breaded, of course!) and just to say that for T2 diabetes, one would not suddenly wake up one morning and suddenly become diabetic. More of a sliding scale; it was trying to sneak up on me.

If my story can help any non-diabetics that can relate, I urge you to take control. If I can reverse skirting with T2, you definitely can!!!

Cheers, Lou :)

Reactions: Prem51

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Diver Lou,
Have you ever been ordered an extended oral glucose tolerance test? The GP can order it, you go along fasting at opening time of the blood testing centre, have blood test, then drink of glucose and testing usually done hourly for at least 3, preferably 4 hours duration at least.
That way diabetes and possibly RH can be tested for. Sometimes the test is done with your usual breakfast instead of the glucose.
Perhaps discuss it with your GP.
The other thing to note is that with the glucose meters (and use of finger prick blood) the error range of the reading can be +/- 15%. So a reading of say, 3.9 mmol/l, can reflect a range of 3.32 to 4.48 mmol/l.
Hypoglycaemia is usually defined as less than 3.6 mmol/l (but definitions vary by 0.1, 0.2).

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Diver Lou,
Have you ever been ordered an extended oral glucose tolerance test? The GP can order it, you go along fasting at opening time of the blood testing centre, have blood test, then drink of glucose and testing usually done hourly for at least 3, preferably 4 hours duration at least.
That way diabetes and possibly RH can be tested for. Sometimes the test is done with your usual breakfast instead of the glucose.
The other thing to note is that with the glucose meters (and use of finger prick blood) the error range of the reading can be +/- 15%. So a reading of say, 3.9 mmol/l, can reflect a range of 3.32 to 4.48 mmol/l.
Hypoglycaemia is usually defined as less than 3.6 mmol/l (but definitions vary by 0.1, 0.2).

I have read on this forum that if you do the extended oral glucose tolerance test you have to eat a quoted amount of carbs for 3/4 days before hand, other wise the results are screwed up.

Another thing - there is an app called "mysugr" which is very useful. It is reported on the forum that it is quite accurate with giving you an HBA1C count after a few days which is quite close to the proper thing.
Keep up the good work

Diver Lou

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Diver Lou,
I have read on this forum that if you do the extended oral glucose tolerance test you have to eat a quoted amount of carbs for 3/4 days before hand, other wise the results are screwed up.

Another thing - there is an app called "mysugr" which is very useful. It is reported on the forum that it is quite accurate with giving you an HBA1C count after a few days which is quite close to the proper thing.
Keep up the good work
Thankyou both, I am in the UK so I'm not sure how receptive my new GP (new GP surgery joined last year, but have not met them yet) will be to the OGTT suggestion, but certainly does sound like the logical way to go. An HBA1C taken now will not reveal anything 'special' as have been low carbing for a few months now, but if that shows lower than the results from last year, then would that count as evidence that I've got/had a slight issue? Sorry, just thinking out loud.
I've also read on this forum about needing to eat carbs before an OGTT test, and if I can correctly recall, it's about 150g per day? And will check out the mysugr app. :)
Another something I forgot to mention is that I have my night vision back after the last few years. There I thought old age was catching up with me, but am guessing that this could have been related.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thankyou both, I am in the UK so I'm not sure how receptive my new GP (new GP surgery joined last year, but have not met them yet) will be to the OGTT suggestion, but certainly does sound like the logical way to go. An HBA1C taken now will not reveal anything 'special' as have been low carbing for a few months now, but if that shows lower than the results from last year, then would that count as evidence that I've got/had a slight issue? Sorry, just thinking out loud.
I've also read on this forum about needing to eat carbs before an OGTT test, and if I can correctly recall, it's about 150g per day? And will check out the mysugr app. :)
Another something I forgot to mention is that I have my night vision back after the last few years. There I thought old age was catching up with me, but am guessing that this could have been related.
Perhaps your change in night vision is something to do with your intake of vitamin A ?