ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Pregabalin is used to treat nerve pain, as is Gabapentin, so they have a similarity.
I know my once numb baby toe is now feeling not alien anymore. Just sciatic nerve spasms when walking until 2nd set of tramadol tablets take effect, now. Balance in walking has improved so not jerking my back as much when crutch/stick gets misplaced on floor.
Awaking early on a morning due to bowel movements out of sync. Once up I have meds to take so I take them then I can take others... then I mustn't forget levothyroine before breakfast or sleep pattern gets interfered with.
Tired so tempted to go back to bed and up again for little ones to go to school. Locally.

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
I have just had the results of my MRI scan and have a bulging disc in my lower spine which is causing me debilitating pain. The consultant is arranging for spinal injection(s) but also recommends I request Gabapentin from my GP for pain relief. Does anyone take this and what effects if any does it (or the steroid injections) have on your blood sugar levels please? Any feedback would be very welcome about either. Many thanks :)

I take Gabapentin 300mg (I think) and it has no affect on my BG readings at all. I take it for neuropathy pain in my feet and it does work for me.

Reactions: ickihun

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I take Gabapentin 300mg (I think) and it has no affect on my BG readings at all. I take it for neuropathy pain in my feet and it does work for me.

I am on 1800mg so it may be a question of dosage. It may be that as we are all different we each can have different reactions to it.

Just a little factoid for you all, Gabapentin was originally developed as an anticonvulsant for those with epilepsy but in my old GPs parlance 'It was a bit rubbish for epilepsy but bang on the money for pain'.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Steroids are known to raise BG, but it does depend on the dose and type of steroid, and of course the way your body reacts to it. I had to take 5 days of prednisone for an allergic reaction. It's said on WebMD that it rarely affects BGL, but mine went up from average 200 (not great) to 600. I was pretty much delirious and acted so strangely I lost my job over it since I'd only been there a month! So definitely keep a close eye on your glucose, and if it does go up, talk to your doctor about adjusting your diabetes meds or perhaps cutting out carbs for the duration. I also take a pretty large dose of gabapentin (1200 - 1800mg/day) but for me it didn't increase my BGL at all. Gabapentin can also cause drowsiness, but for me it was mild and faded quickly after I'd been taking it for a week.

So as with most things, YMMV. Wishing you the best of luck and positive results with these treatments!
Thank you jooleecee for your advice. I have been told that the spinal injections will elevate blood sugars but only for a couple of days so I will monitor closely as you advise and adjust my carb/ sugar intake accordingly. It was also very helpful to know about the drowsiness caused by Gabapentin as although retired now I have to stay alert in the day. Thanks again for responding. Best wishes.:)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for your reply masonap. That is reassuring to hear.:)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Or so there are consultants in the mks dept then? I wasn't sure.
Thanks for insight.
Hope yours appease very very soon. Thinking of you.

Ps. We're you ever on canagliflozin or any similar spelling diabetic tablets?
Morning ickihun. I think it depends on the area you live in. To be honest I had to look up mks as I had never come across that term before. LOL :rolleyes: Perhaps as I suggested before it would be better for you to ring them direct to clarify what is happening as different health authorities seem to have different set ups. Sorry but I have never been on canagliflozin. Best wishes.:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Morning ickihun. I think it depends on the area you live in. To be honest I had to look up mks as I had never come across that term before. LOL :rolleyes: Perhaps as I suggested before it would be better for you to ring them direct to clarify what is happening as different health authorities seem to have different set ups. Sorry but I have never been on canagliflozin. Best wishes.:)
Sorry Msk. Durr. I look like I have dyslexia but I don't. Its me not proof reading before send again. Humf!
Yes musculoskeleton dept. I'm ment to have wrote.
Hope your feeling a bit better today. A good day?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Our local musculoskeleton clinic has a consultant, but he is not a doctor. He is a registered chartered physio and registered chartered chiropractor.
Thanks @Bluetit1802.
I'm just awaiting my appointment. GP said 9wk await.
Very tired today. :(
Pregabalin tablet doesnt seem to affect my bgs. Sugar coated ibuprofen may if I wasn't taking insulin. My basal is having to work harder. Mostly low carb foods at home but not observing strickly. I feel the stress will just tip me over with all I have to do at mo.
I just need to get one more form filled in and then have to order 2 more.
Ive always hated forms, especially for jobs. Yuck! My handwriting has been ruined by exams in the 80s and 90s.

If I ever get time I'd love to learn how to have beautiful handwriting.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry Msk. Durr. I look like I have dyslexia but I don't. Its me not proof reading before send again. Humf!
Yes musculoskeleton dept. I'm ment to have wrote.
Hope your feeling a bit better today. A good day?
A 1/2 & 1/2 sort of day thanks ickihun. How about you?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A 1/2 & 1/2 sort of day thanks ickihun. How about you?
I can move once I've had second set of tramadol.
Do you think your gp needs to increase your painkiller or is your pain bearable afterall? Me and my mum cannot tolerate codeine. Some can thou.
I'm hoping you get more support whilst your waiting for your appointment.
I don't like the idea of you suffering. :(

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can move once I've had second set of tramadol.
Do you think your gp needs to increase your painkiller or is your pain bearable afterall? Me and my mum cannot tolerate codeine. Some can thou.
I'm hoping you get more support whilst your waiting for your appointment.
I don't like the idea of you suffering. :(
You are very kind, ickihun. At the moment I only have amitriptyline at night from the GP. I take over the counter pain killers during the day but co-codamol do not suit me and I cannot take anti -inflamatory tablets due to my medication for other conditions. I asked the GP's receptionist today about the Gabapentin suggested over the phone by the consultant I mentioned earlier but she said they had not yet received his report. He is sending me a copy in the post so when it arrives I can see if he's actually written his recommendation in it and take it to my GP surgery. Otherwise I will make an appointment to see the GP and request either Gabapentin or alternative stronger medication. With this and a particularly stressful time with my dear mum today- who knows what my fbs will be tomorrow?? I hope things improve for you soon.:)

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just don't take it with Heroin the combined result can and has been fatal.
Too true, as many 'unexplained' deaths in drug addicts can be attributed to Gabapentin or Pregabalin....these drugs potentiate the effects of opiate drugs. Pretty much well known in the addiction community, and I'm quite sure not all addicts who are prescribed it are in untractable pain.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You are very kind, ickihun. At the moment I only have amitriptyline at night from the GP. I take over the counter pain killers during the day but co-codamol do not suit me and I cannot take anti -inflamatory tablets due to my medication for other conditions. I asked the GP's receptionist today about the Gabapentin suggested over the phone by the consultant I mentioned earlier but she said they had not yet received his report. He is sending me a copy in the post so when it arrives I can see if he's actually written his recommendation in it and take it to my GP surgery. Otherwise I will make an appointment to see the GP and request either Gabapentin or alternative stronger medication. With this and a particularly stressful time with my dear mum today- who knows what my fbs will be tomorrow?? I hope things improve for you soon.:)
I play it day by day. I have to walk for 25mins this morning. A 15min walk for partner but I need extra time so I'm starting out earlier. I'm dreading it but has to be done as the taxi to our appointment will be double the price and kids mustn't be with us. My mum refuses to help. I don't ask her anymore as she's unreliable too. Which stresses me out more.
I'm going to try and enjoy the walk, I'm lucky it's not a bad morning for a walk. Someone must be helping. Ha ha
I'm going off now as I need to pace getting ready, rest then walk.
Have a good day! :)

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
Searching through posts as I too have a bulging disc causing sciatica for nearly 3 months now and came across this thread I have never been in so much pain in my life and it's getting worse. I'm not on any meds for the diabetes 2, just trying to control with diet (has gone a bit out the window though last few months ) GP gave me amitryptiline for 2 weeks and then switched me to Gabapentin 900mg a day, naproxen, omeprazole and now also co-codamol. Nothing seems to ease the spasms and pain. I was wondering @dogslife if things have improved for you? I so hope they have, did you have the injection or have you continued with meds and physio?

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Searching through posts as I too have a bulging disc causing sciatica for nearly 3 months now and came across this thread I have never been in so much pain in my life and it's getting worse. I'm not on any meds for the diabetes 2, just trying to control with diet (has gone a bit out the window though last few months ) GP gave me amitryptiline for 2 weeks and then switched me to Gabapentin 900mg a day, naproxen, omeprazole and now also co-codamol. Nothing seems to ease the spasms and pain. I was wondering @dogslife if things have improved for you? I so hope they have, did you have the injection or have you continued with meds and physio?
Good morning welsheagle. Sending sympathy for your pain. The injection helped for a while but it is back with a vengeance at the moment. I am still on amitrypiline at night which helps me to sleep but am always in pain again the next morning. I am only taking paracetamol during the day but was advised to request stronger pain relief from my GP by the consultant who did my injection. I haven't done that yet as I never find the time between looking after my mum who has dementure and my USA visitors but I will do so once they have left. I no longer have physio and my GP would not prescribe Gabapentin as he said it wouldn't help back pain. I have co-codamol at the ready but avoid taking it too often as it makes me drowsy and causes constipation which aggravates my IBS. I am really struggling at the moment as I'm doing a lot more than usual taking my visitors out and about so not getting much relief. I find a heat pad helps a little. Hope things improve for you soon.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Good morning welsheagle. Sending sympathy for your pain. The injection helped for a while but it is back with a vengeance at the moment. I am still on amitrypiline at night which helps me to sleep but am always in pain again the next morning. I am only taking paracetamol during the day but was advised to request stronger pain relief from my GP by the consultant who did my injection. I haven't done that yet as I never find the time between looking after my mum who has dementure and my USA visitors but I will do so once they have left. I no longer have physio and my GP would not prescribe Gabapentin as he said it wouldn't help back pain. I have co-codamol at the ready but avoid taking it too often as it makes me drowsy and causes constipation which aggravates my IBS. I am really struggling at the moment as I'm doing a lot more than usual taking my visitors out and about so not getting much relief. I find a heat pad helps a little. Hope things improve for you soon.

Gabapentin and Pregabalin do help! Your consultant, by rights, should have written to your GP with his recommendations.

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
@dogslife I am sorry to hear things haven't got better for you. You sound very busy but I think that can be good to keep you moving and take your mind off the pain. I have found driving really aggravates it and an ice pack to numb the pain works for me. My GP told me Gabapentin helps nerve pain but takes a few weeks to start working. Im having 2 days off work to rest up a bit and not drive anywhere to see if it helps. Best wishes to you

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
Gabapentin and Pregabalin do help! Your consultant, by rights, should have written to your GP with his recommendations.
@Guzzler I hope the Gabapentin will work, I've been on it nearly 3 weeks but not much improvement. My GP has only referred me to physio not to the hospital yet.