Medical Id - Bracelet/necklace

tomrose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.
I was just wondering if most people wear either a bracelet or necklace that contains info about their diagnosis?
I'm recently diagnosed and I think it would be a good idea, but I'm not sure where to buy them from and what info it would be advisable to have on them (other than type 1 diabetic). For example - does it need to state insulin dependant and the way it is treated (injections/pump)?
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: porl69

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Search eBay and Amazon, you will see an assortment.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have a tattoo on the inside of my right wrist saying Type 1 Diabetic. I used to wear an SOS Talisman when I was younger and not able to be tattooed :). Ebay and Amazon OR a google search will bring loads of results for you

D

Deleted Account

I have an insulin pump - you'll see that way before you'll notice a necklace or bracelet.
Pre-pump, I never wore anything which identified my diabetes.
This was partially due to vanity, partially due to hating being labelled (I hated school uniform for the same reason and still hate branded clothing) and partially because I thought it would be very rare for me to be in a situation where it is relevant.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got an old SOS pendant attached to my key ring, and a type 2 diabetic rubber bracelet (which came from DCUK), I've multiple medicals issue/drug allergies and it holds a bit more info than some of the alert jewellery, but I think that some of the medic alert bracelets you have a id number that the emergency services can contact and all the relevant details are logged, although it may involve an annual subscription

Reactions: pjayem1964

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hi everyone.
I was just wondering if most people wear either a bracelet or necklace that contains info about their diagnosis?
I'm recently diagnosed and I think it would be a good idea, but I'm not sure where to buy them from and what info it would be advisable to have on them (other than type 1 diabetic). For example - does it need to state insulin dependant and the way it is treated (injections/pump)?
Thanks in advance!
If you go on wish.com and search there you will get them for free and just pay P&P or for a £1.00

Reactions: tomrose
D

Deleted member 308541

I use a Quoll medical id card which has all of my medical details on it, which is either in my shirt pocket or hanging around my neck on a lanyard.

I used to wear a pendant but it annoyed me when I played bowls, so got the card as well.

medical-card-300x300.jpg

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use a Quoll medical id card which has all of my medical details on it, which is either in my shirt pocket or hanging around my neck on a lanyard.

I used to wear a pendant but it annoyed me when I played bowls, so got the card as well.

medical-card-300x300.jpg
Medic alert bracelet it contains emergency tel nos and allergies and has.my family's details also. I never take it off and I know I feel so safe .

D

Deleted member 308541

Medic alert bracelet it contains emergency tel nos and allergies and has.my family's details also. I never take it off and I know I feel so safe .
I even have "Do Not Resuscitate" in mine.

Clever stuff those QR codes for what info they can contain.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a few wristbands that say 'Type 1 Diabetes' and 'Insulin Pump', I got them from wowbands on ebay but they have a website too

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I went with ' Insulin Dependent' , but that's because for me type 1/2/LADA in an emergency is irrelevant. I've also got a letter shoved in my wallet from my consultant about my insulin/pump combo with 'in case of emergency' written in big black letters.

The hospital already tried to kill me once this month. Having a next-of-kin clearly identified with contact details written out meant I could say no to their treatment until he got there. (Else they can decide you are incapacitated, and then decide treatment for you.)

Reactions: pjayem1964

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have recently ordered one from Etsy. I was looking for something that was pretty and looked like a pretty bracelet rather than a medical alert.

tomrose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
I have seen there are a few places that seem to offer them for free or for a nominal amount. As a male who has never worn anything other than a watch every now and again I will just try a few and see which one I can deal with best! I have the card that the hospital provided that says 'I have diabetes and am using insulin' and has room for an emergency number, but my worry is with cards is some people might not look through my wallet or pockets in an emergency...

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
I have seen there are a few places that seem to offer them for free or for a nominal amount. As a male who has never worn anything other than a watch every now and again I will just try a few and see which one I can deal with best! I have the card that the hospital provided that says 'I have diabetes and am using insulin' and has room for an emergency number, but my worry is with cards is some people might not look through my wallet or pockets in an emergency...
I’ve seen custom watch straps with medic alert symbols on the outside and info on the inside.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone.
Thanks in advance!
I only wear a medic alert wristband when I go out running, states of insulin dependent and contact phone number, just in case I get run into! I carry a card in my handbag but that's it

TerriH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, hooligan drivers and most of all rude, selfish and totally inconsiderate people.
Hi everyone.
Thanks in advance!
I buy mine from Medic Alert, search on the Web for their site and inspect their wares. The bracelet etc is not free but you fill in a questionnaire and they record your information before supplying your item which has info which medics etc. can use by contacting the phone number on the medallion and giving your individual membership number and Medic Alert will provide the information. You have to renew your membership every year and fill in a form which is kept on file but notify them of any changes to where you live and more importantly changes in your medication. Hope this helps and Good Luck.

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
I wear a Onelife ID wristband which is laser engraved with my name, insulin and emergency contact number. I have it with the silicon wristband, but they do other ones as well. They also do the medical alert cards with the QR codes on them. It's really robust as I have it on me all day and you don't even notice it there after a while as they are light in weight to.
24e027b68032a5aede65a15c05797e71.jpg

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I wear a chain bracelet. It's fairly chunky and looks OK. I looked at Medic Alert and discussed it on the forum, particularly about the subscription and the ability for medics to dial in and get information from their database. No one had experience of that feature being used and I concluded it was probably a waste of money. The key thing is that is should be noticed by paramedics and ED staff which things like tattoos might not.

Next question: what information should it carry. I chose -
Name
DOB
ICE phone number
Medical conditions

In addition to T1D I have a penicillin allergy so I feel it's important to wear the information where it's sure to be seen.