Bread Alternative

confused51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just started a low carbohydrate diet but my craving is now for bread :( is there an alternative I can buy that will let me have a sandwich midday?..I'm not bothered if its bread,crackers or roll ( or info on all three alternatives would be good please..thank you

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi confused. I occasionally eat a slice of HiLo bread, I get it from Sainsburys. It just 5g carb per slice but the slices are small. I did find as I progressed along my low carb journey that cravings for high carb foods has diminished.

Annecairns

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just started a low carbohydrate diet but my craving is now for bread :( is there an alternative I can buy that will let me have a sandwich midday?..I'm not bothered if its bread,crackers or roll ( or info on all three alternatives would be good please..thank you
I like Nairn’s oatcakes. They have about 6carbc

Reactions: knoxy55

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Were you a big bread eater pre low carb? If so I would try my best to avoid bread like substitutes or "low carb breads" for a few months and see if you can wean yourself off them. If you want a sandwich like meal then just eat the fillings and not the bread. So cheese sandwiched in ham or vice versa. I found that bread like things triggered a semi binge eating experience for me even after 2 years of not having bread. I made some low carb flax seed slices but ate the lot in 2 sittings with butter.. that bread like feel was a trigger for me to overeat.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I use morrison's protein sliced loaf.
It has a strong wholemeal like flavour and very elastic in its make-up. They have changed its slices thickness so I cut its crust off before serving.
I only have it once or twice a week. I don't crave bread, never have. Mashed potato with butter or cheese was my taste of heaven. Especially with macherel or seafood added. (fish pie).
Reheated fresh potato does spike me.

Have you tried reheating a fresh bread roll/slice for a few seconds in a hot oven or microwave to see if you spike?

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ryvita do puffed crackers like rice cakes but rye instead plain and salt and vinegar flavour they are really nice I also have the normal Ryvita crackers and sometimes Nairns oat cakes.. You could have Bergen Soya and Linseed bread it is a low carb one and a lot here have that and it is normal size slices . You can get other low carb bread like HiLo from Sainsburys but the slices are tiny and it is expensive for the size of the loaf I personally do not even think it is very nice

Reactions: Caliallye

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use morrison's protein sliced loaf.
It has a strong wholemeal like flavour and very elastic in its make-up. They have changed its slices thickness so I cut its crust off before serving.
I only have it once or twice a week. I don't crave bread, never have. Mashed potato with butter or cheese was my taste of heaven. Especially with macherel or seafood added. (fish pie).
Reheated fresh potato does spike me.

Have you tried reheating a fresh bread roll/slice for a few seconds in a hot oven or microwave to see if you spike?

Low carb is about finding out we can't eat not stopping what we can eat no sense in doing that so if we can eat bread of some kind that does not impact on our BG levels and as you say you can eat reheated potato as well then enjoy it. What I miss most is a jacket potato with lots of tuna and cheese

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb is about finding out we can't eat not stopping what we can eat no sense in doing that
Disagree...we can eat anything but that comes with risks attached.. Low Carb in my view is what we should eat for maximum health benefits. I could have toast and marmalade every day for breakfast however because I doubt very much it would help with my blood sugars or weight or lack of medication I decide not to have it but stick to tea and coffee instead.

Reactions: Debandez

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@confused51 if you are near a Waitrose they do a low carb bread called Livlife. It is slight less carbs than the Sainsbury’s HiLo but the slices are a bit smaller.

Reactions: catarinagallo

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect that by by things “we can eat”, the OP meant those things that an individual can eat without producing an unhealthy sugar spike - that will vary on an individual level even within a low carb diet, as will the choices individuals make about how to utilise their individual healthy carb level, established via food and BG testing, - be it 20g, 120g or some point in between

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It appears that you are prepared to do some work putting a sandwich together. In my household the non-diabetics occasionally eat https://carbzone.co.uk/collections/bread/products/protein-rich®-bread-250g-long-shelf-life, I have just asked and apparently it is nice tasting (I have not tried myself); interestingly although I have seen re-orders 2 packets are in the cupboard, and have been there for around 2 weeks. So as an aside interesting point, in my household of 4, low carb / Keto has removed the full on bread cravings for everyone.

The mental side of the transition is hard, I really understand. I would consider myself an experienced low carber, but I am weaning myself down from a bowl of mixed low carb nuts a day at the moment, as I am trying to cut down my physical training. Maybe what I am doing at the moment might also help, if you have some prep time, around 10 minutes. I am using a sort of bread, which is a pancake in various ways (I made the below, and I am ham fisted):

Pancakes.JPG

This takes minutes to prepare and can be made in advance to go into the fridge for a couple of days.

Process:
If making flatter pancakes put on 2 non stick pans on a low to mid heat
If making deeper pancakes put on 2 non stick pans on a low to mid heat, and max heat oven (you will need pancake rings)
If you are going to use a pancake/ waffle maker put this on at least medium heat

To a mixing bowl:
  • Add a quarter of a cup of coconut flour (I use Organic Coconut Flour from the Groovy food company. 16 grams of carbs per 100)
  • Add a teaspoon of baking powder
  • (if making chocolate version, add tablespoon of cocoa powder (I use Belbake from Lidl, 8.7 grams per 100)
  • Add 2 eggs
  • Add half a cup of coconut milk (I use Dunns River) or a quarter of a cup of cream cheese (I use Philadelphia original) with a quarter cup of full fat Greek Yogurt or nut milk
  • Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • Optionally add 2 teaspoons of Baobab (don't worry about this, many haven't come across this super food)
  • Optionally add a little sea or Himalayan salt
Whisk until everything is mixed (if you have an electric whisk all the better). The consistency should be similar to yogurt. if your mixture is too thick keep adding a little coconut or nut milk or water. Either add some fat to the pan (anything but vegetable oil), I use a little MCT oil or brush the pancake / waffle maker with fat. Add mixture asap to either pan or pancake / waffle maker, as coconut flour is very absorbent. For the flatter pan fired pancakes turn when bubbles begin to occur. For the deep pancakes add the pan to the oven until the top is firm, remove from oven (make sure you have gloves or a towel), turn the pancake and add a little more fat to finish the cook in around a minute and half.

The total carbs for the entire mixture is around 7 grams with around double the amount of fibre (based on the brands I used). I tagged @shelley262 due her current food project.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It appears that you are prepared to do some work putting a sandwich together. In my household the non-diabetics occasionally eat https://carbzone.co.uk/collections/bread/products/protein-rich®-bread-250g-long-shelf-life, I have just asked and apparently it is nice tasting (I have not tried myself); interestingly although I have seen re-orders 2 packets are in the cupboard, and have been there for around 2 weeks. So as an aside interesting point, in my household of 4, low carb / Keto has removed the full on bread cravings for everyone.

The mental side of the transition is hard, I really understand. I would consider myself an experienced low carber, but I am weaning myself down from a bowl of mixed low carb nuts a day at the moment, as I am trying to cut down my physical training. Maybe what I am doing at the moment might also help, if you have some prep time, around 10 minutes. I am using a sort of bread, which is a pancake in various ways (I made the below, and I am ham fisted):

View attachment 28088

This takes minutes to prepare and can be made in advance to go into the fridge for a couple of days.

Process:
If making flatter pancakes put on 2 non stick pans on a low to mid heat
If making deeper pancakes put on 2 non stick pans on a low to mid heat, and max heat oven (you will need pancake rings)
If you are going to use a pancake/ waffle maker put this on at least medium heat

To a mixing bowl:
  • Add a quarter of a cup of coconut flour (I use Organic Coconut Flour from the Groovy food company. 16 grams of carbs per 100)
  • Add a teaspoon of baking powder
  • (if making chocolate version, add tablespoon of cocoa powder (I use Belbake from Lidl, 8.7 grams per 100)
  • Add 2 eggs
  • Add half a cup of coconut milk (I use Dunns River) or a quarter of a cup of cream cheese (I use Philadelphia original) with a quarter cup of full fat Greek Yogurt or nut milk
  • Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • Optionally add 2 teaspoons of Baobab (don't worry about this, many haven't come across this super food)
  • Optionally add a little sea or Himalayan salt
Whisk until everything is mixed (if you have an electric whisk all the better). The consistency should be similar to yogurt. if your mixture is too thick keep adding a little coconut or nut milk or water. Either add some fat to the pan (anything but vegetable oil), I use a little MCT oil or brush the pancake / waffle maker with fat. Add mixture asap to either pan or pancake / waffle maker, as coconut flour is very absorbent. For the flatter pan fired pancakes turn when bubbles begin to occur. For the deep pancakes add the pan to the oven until the top is firm, remove from oven (make sure you have gloves or a towel), turn the pancake and add a little more fat to finish the cook in around a minute and half.

The total carbs for the entire mixture is around 7 grams with around double the amount of fibre (based on the brands I used). I tagged @shelley262 due her current food project.
THank you @Mbaker for tagging me - with your permission I’ll use it in the booklet? Will drop in this weekend I’m planning to have updated and corrected version out there by end next week if goes to plan

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I either have TESCO High Protein bread or Hovis Low carb which isn’t as nice but ok. I find 1 slice, loaded with filling is enough. Both are nice toasted as well.

Aargh!_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Look at dietdoctor.com. They have several low / zero carb options. I've tried a couple so far and it will take some practice but give it a go.

Reactions: neithskye

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
THank you @Mbaker for tagging me - with your permission I’ll use it in the booklet? Will drop in this weekend I’m planning to have updated and corrected version out there by end next week if goes to plan
No problem.

Aargh!_

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Aargh!_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've recently been using the diet doctor.com site. It has amazing low carb recipes including low carb bread. It's an amazing site. Give it a try I don't think yoully regret it. Good luck

Reactions: Caliallye

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Disagree...we can eat anything but that comes with risks attached.. Low Carb in my view is what we should eat for maximum health benefits. I could have toast and marmalade every day for breakfast however because I doubt very much it would help with my blood sugars or weight or lack of medication I decide not to have it but stick to tea and coffee instead.
Thats my point we could eat everything but we don't because we know what foods personally raises our blood glucose so we avoid them but many can eat low carb bread.. The OP was asking about bread and was given suggestions of what she could try so now hopefully she will find the bread or crackers that suit her.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats my point we could eat everything but we don't because we know what foods personally raises our blood glucose so we avoid them but many can eat low carb bread.. The OP was asking about bread and was given suggestions of what she could try so now hopefully she will find the bread or crackers that suit her.
And as I suggested it would be better to avoid it altogether.. I can’t see why people struggle to understand why it is best avoided totally.