T1 And Struggling To Conceive - What Are My Options?

RAimee

Hello! :)

Myself and my husband have been trying to conceive for the last two-ish months and it doesn't seem like much is happening. I was wondering what my next step should be. I've found this ovulation calculator online and was wondering - has anyone had any luck with these? I'm not sure I want to go to a doctor yet but understand it might be my only choice. Anyone here have any advice? Thank you so much in advance :)

Cybersight

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Me and my x had a baby she was T1 was about 6-9 months of practice before we got lucky at that time I was not diabetic. My advice just keep the fun going and it will hopefully happen good luck I Pray you get your child.
P.S
We never used the calc

Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @RAimee, Is the ovulation calendar you are referring to include the sympto-thermal method (which can be used to identify when ovulation is likely to be occurring to that couples can maximise (or minimise) chance of you becoming pregnant?
Most couples I have spoken with have been advised to try for 6 months at least before resorting to seeing a doctor, unless there are abnormal signs and symptoms happening with cycles etc.
And some women apparently may not start ovulating for months after stopping the pill.
The other advice on various sites like Diabetes UK and Diabetes Australia are to keep BSLS under best possible control AND to start the recommended pregnancy supplements containing things like iodine, iron, folic acid etc. Apparently baby needs things like iodine from conception onwards.
Good luck and please keep practising !!

RAimee

Hi @RAimee, Is the ovulation calendar you are referring to include the sympto-thermal method (which can be used to identify when ovulation is likely to be occurring to that couples can maximise (or minimise) chance of you becoming pregnant?
Most couples I have spoken with have been advised to try for 6 months at least before resorting to seeing a doctor, unless there are abnormal signs and symptoms happening with cycles etc.
And some women apparently may not start ovulating for months after stopping the pill.
The other advice on various sites like Diabetes UK and Diabetes Australia are to keep BSLS under best possible control AND to start the recommended pregnancy supplements containing things like iodine, iron, folic acid etc. Apparently baby needs things like iodine from conception onwards.
Good luck and please keep practising !!

I have never heard of that before! I'll definitely have to look into it. The one I'm using seems quite accurate (you can find it here - ovulation-calculators.com) but I'll definitely look into the sympto-thermal method, sounds sciencey! ;) Hopefully it's just been bad timing so far. Taking pregnancy supplements before pregnancy seems a bit off to me but I understand it's probably something I'll need to do once I'm actually pregnant.

Thank you all for the advice, it's been so helpful! <3

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have never heard of that before! I'll definitely have to look into it. The one I'm using seems quite accurate (you can find it here - ovulation-calculators.com) but I'll definitely look into the sympto-thermal method, sounds sciencey! ;) Hopefully it's just been bad timing so far. Taking pregnancy supplements before pregnancy seems a bit off to me but I understand it's probably something I'll need to do once I'm actually pregnant.

Thank you all for the advice, it's been so helpful! <3
The idea of starting supplements now is because it may be some weeks before you know whether you are pregnant. The supplements help to cover that time as well as the rest of the pregnancy.

Last edited:

kelp84

I believe that folic acid is supposed to be important for diabetic ladies trying to conceive, it is supposed to help combat some of the more common risks associated with pregnancy and diabetes- I would definitely recommend you doing a bit of research and/or going to see your diabetic nurse ( if you haven’t already) to discuss trying for a baby, they are really helpful and can give tonnes of advice about diabetes management and pregnancy etc ... best of luck x