Bread Alternative

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cautionary tale from someone who should know better.

I was at a meeting yesterday where Lunch was served, everything was inside bread. I normally don’t eat at lunchtime but for some reason I suddenly felt hungry when I saw the sandwiches, and ended up eating two. I was starving for the rest of the day, overate for dinner, then had 2 fried eggs for breakfast and then some sliced pastrami for lunch. Totally mucked up my usual OMAD routine all because I ate a couple of sandwiches

Hopefully I can stop eating soon and get back to normal !!!!

Reactions: Caliallye

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And as I suggested it would be better to avoid it altogether.. I can’t see why people struggle to understand why it is best avoided totally.
And I can't understand why you are so dogmatic about it. Most people will have eaten bread their whole life and enjoyed it, so it is not suprising they want to continue to eat some bread or a substitute if it is not too detrimental to their health. Life is full of pleasures and risks and it is for individuals to make their own balance between them. I assume from your name that you ride a motorcycle, or used to, which is a dangerous thing to do, yet you presumably judged the pleasure of riding outweighed the risk. Why not let others decide where they draw the line with their diet.

D

Deleted member 308541

Most people will have eaten bread their whole life and enjoyed it, so it is not suprising they want to continue to eat some bread or a substitute if it is not too detrimental to their health.
Bread was a staple diet in my life same as spuds till I got put on Metformin. I finally found a lower carb bread, lower carb wraps, and also lower carb potatoes Spud Lites after a lot of searching the web.

Since eating them my blood tests have been excellent as far as I am concerned, I eat them in moderation same as reheated pasta.

Some Australian links for the lurkers from Australia.

https://hermanbrot.com.au/products/low-carb-bread/
http://www.missionfoods.com.au/en/products/bakery/wraps/mission-low-carb-wraps.aspx
http://spudlite.com.au/

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
These days my alternative to 'bread' as a wrapper is lettuce or celery, though I do have to admit to throwing caution to the wind about once a month and enjoying a small toasted slice of bread with cheese and marmite.

Reactions: Caliallye

Debtryketo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cloud bread is a fab alternative. Whisk 2 egg whites with quarter tsp baking powder till stiff, fold gently into a mixture of the yolks and 2tbls of cream cheese, blob onto a baking sheet, bake at 170 for around 20 mins, cool and scoff! Repeat often

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried them all and dont find any bread substitutes satisfactory so now dont bother. I wish @bulkbiker hadnt mentioned toast and marmalade (2 slices) because that would now be my last meal before the gallows

Reactions: catarinagallo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if it is not too detrimental to their health
But we know it is.. it spikes most of us like nothing else.. yet people still crave it.. completely illogical. Ditch it completely and you won't miss it.

Caliallye

I was low carb since 1972, but became diabetic type 1 after surgery in 1999.
I have become so sensitive to what happens, that the idea of eating all those carbs and NOT getting something really special for it turns me off.
There are certain breads I do love...usually fresh made....I’ll not list them, so as to not make enemies here (lol), and I do occasionally try them.
As type One, of course, I can take insulin. But when I do indulge, I make certain I have eaten a load of protein and/hi fiber like salads, etc, and usually use some fat with it...butter or olive oil... which also helps keeps the blood sugars level. I just try to keep it to 30 gms at most, better if it’s 15.
I live in California, and there are many types of low carb tortillas available.
I’ve also revised my opinion of potatoes, after reading more on the nutritional values: here we can get “fingerling” and other potatoes that have a lower carb/glycemic count. The mention of potato jackets... if you just keep to the skin part, and have fat/cheese with it, you may be able to get away with it. Even my first diabetic educator twenty years ago was adamant:”it’s not what THEY say, but if you are going to eat potato, ALWAYS put some butter or sour cream on it!”
We are all our own science experiments. Everyone’s response is individual.
After you’ve stabilized, it is easier to experiment and see what you can eat without harmful effects.
Every once in a while, I feel like an alien on this planet; I can’t eat what the natives can!

Reactions: LooperCat

jonbigboy7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morrisons do a low carb bread it’s the one I but nd allowance is no more than 4 slices a day. Sandwich sorted.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But we know it is.. it spikes most of us like nothing else.. yet people still crave it.. completely illogical. Ditch it completely and you won't miss it.
No, you only know how it affects you. I have a slice of Burgen Soya and Linseed toast every morning with my egg and bacon and it makes no difference to my bg level.

wislonp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Tesco multigrain bread. I always freeze it as research has shown the freezing process actually lowers the GI. I always look at GI as I believe this is relevant. Lidl also do a low GI triangle and hi protein rolls which are both really good.

Reactions: Sprocket 2

Amy Cecilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And as I suggested it would be better to avoid it altogether.. I can’t see why people struggle to understand why it is best avoided totally.

Yes, I’m beginning to find carbs are a treat. Easiest breakfasts (cereal) & easy family tea like quiche, pies, pasta & Pizza are a disaster for my BGs. So I’m starting to have eggs for breakfast with salad (lettuce, tomatoes) Ham, cheese, deli sliced beef or chicken, tinned mackerel or sardines with more salad (carrots, celery, beetroot-by the way I heard on Radio4 science programme testerday that beetroot is SERIOUSLY good for the heart) plus fruit & plain low fat yoghurt. So far lots of variety but of course that’s an ideal day. It means I can be a bit more flexible in the evening when I tend to have more time anyway. So we have more meals like salmon, roasts, chops & veg & a few salad potatoes. Maybe a risk a crumble Carbs like toast, crumpets& everything in the cake shop are a treat. Berries and low fat cream make a really satisfying pudding. Well that’s my current plan of campaign. I’m a newbie T1 (15 months. I recently did the DAFNE course and their message is essentially you CAN eat anything but you MUST calculate your QA insulin. That’s the hard part for me So treating carbs as a treat is my way forward.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because if people can eat bread and crackers without impact on their BG levels as many here do they would not want or need to avoid it. You know how bread affects you but you can't say it spikes everyone because clearly it doesn't

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
. it spikes most of us like nothing else.. .
When making dietary decisions at an individual level, then what a food does to that individual is much more important than wnat it does to other people.
What any food does to “ most of us” is useful information for any individual looking for pointers in developing their own “safe” diet through BG testing etc. It can also be an easy / simple way to make dietary choices for those people who either don't want to do or for some other reason cannot do the individual testing required to establish their own safe diet.
That having been said, the two groups of people are different and have different needs from the forum - to assume everyone asking questions is in the second group and needs to be told what to do is, in my opinion, an error

Last edited:

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I either have TESCO High Protein bread or Hovis Low carb which isn’t as nice but ok. I find 1 slice, loaded with filling is enough. Both are nice toasted as well.
I've just bought hovis low carb to try today. Thought it tasted sweet which is weird

D

Deleted member 308541

When I first tried the HB lower carb bread, I run tests over three days to see what is happening.

Here is my bgls, starting with two slices of bread, the chart starts from the bottom and works up to the top. Where it says Other that is the only suitable tag I could use for a one hour post prandial test.

5FLpYx2.jpg

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first tried the HB lower carb bread, I run tests over three days to see what is happening.

Here is my bgls, starting with two slices of bread, the chart starts from the bottom and works up to the top. Where it says Other that is the only suitable tag I could use for a one hour post prandial test.

5FLpYx2.jpg
I'm new to this but thats good right? No more than 2 points up after a meal?