T2 Reversal In 3 Months - There Is Hope

Birch59

I do enjoy the low carb diet but miss a curry with some rice or some chips with my steak.

I'm also slightly apprehensive of the long-term effects of low carb, hence my modified version (reduced carb/Mediterranian diet)
Wow, as if by magic, I awoke this morning to a report on BBC News that a study in the USA indicates that a low carb diet takes 4 years off your life expectancy. No comment on how many years Diabetes takes off or leg amputations, sight loss etc etc.

I would love to know who funded this study. no doubt one of the Drug companies that make billions out of insulin and other drugs that treat the symptoms rather than the cause of Diabetes.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Wow, as if by magic, I awoke this morning to a report on BBC News that a study in the USA indicates that a low carb diet takes 4 years off your life expectancy. No comment on how many years Diabetes takes off or leg amputations, sight loss etc etc.

I would love to know who funded this study. no doubt one of the Drug companies that make billions out of insulin and other drugs that treat the symptoms rather than the cause of Diabetes.

As Long Term studies have only (very) recently begun into the LCHF lifestyle I fail to see how this study in the U.S can make such a statement or come to such a conclusion. We must remember that no studies were ever done to test the theory that a high carb low fat diet would benefit the general population. We can, though, see the results of that diet all around us.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

And the food companies who sell us processed carbs...

Reactions: Birch59

Jaz006

Well done every one. Fantastic news. I have my re test due in september. I am looking forward to seeing what the results are. I can confirm dispite not doing any exercise yet, I actually do feel so much better. Ie. Have more energy, no longer have dizzy spells, no blurry vision, my skin is less dry, my hair has started to grow etc. The only negative thing I have found is that I crave sugar one a month around my period and I have never had that before.

These days I don't eat crisps or chocolate every day and don't feel the need to. I have started to lose weight now and I am loving the compliments. In time I hope to start exercising but...i am not feeling it at the moment.

Whatever my results say next month I know I will not start on medication because I don't feel there is a need to. I am happy changing the way I eat and I am happy to be supported by everyone on here.

Reactions: Terrytiddy

margarett89

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
remission! cool! Congratulations. I am always happy to read such messages

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
My wife and I were both told we had T2 3 months ago. HBA1C's 50 & 52 respectively. It was a bit of a shock to us both I can tell you, especially after reading all the possible consequences. The Dr's advice consisted of informing your life insurance company and to take Metformin from now on. By the time we saw the Dr, I had done some research on T2 reversal and said I was interested in a Low Carb diet approach. Good idea he said and gave me a Low-Calorie diet sheet!

We then saw the Diabetes nurse and asked about blood sugar monitoring. The response was that there is no need.

Underwhelmed by all this medical assistance I set about reading Reverse your diabetes (Dr David Cavan), The Piopi diet and then endless Youtube videos on different approaches to T2 reversal.

The net result of the research was to bin the Metformin and go for a complete lifestyle change. This consisted of a reduced carb diet, so no sugar, bread, rice, pasta or beer (liquid bread!). A selection of Mediterranean diet foods (Olive oil, Fish, Garlic Prawns, Salads, Kale, Spinach tomatoes Pecans Walnuts etc. Plus for a treat a couple of squares of 90% cocoa Dark chocolate!! This was then topped up with 30 mins per day of fast walking and in my wife's case cycling (on exercise machines)

We also watched the programmes like the trouble with Carbs etc and saw the effect of 2 months on an 800 Calorie a day diet.

We did not starve ourselves at all however and eating 3 meals a day over 3 months both lost 15 kg (33lb). 9 kg of which was in the first month. Who knew you could lose weight eating Steak & Eggs, Smoked Haddock Garlic prawns and lots of Salads covered in Olive Oil.

Ignoring the advice not to bother testing our blood after 2 months I purchased a BG monitor and set about checking our BG first thing in the morning and 2 hrs after eating various meals to see the effect different foods were having on our BG. I wished we had done this from the start.

We even gave up alcohol for the first month but then decided to allow red wine, and Gin & diet tonic as an occasional treat.

After 3 months we had our HBA1C tested again and to our amazement were told we were now not diabetics (HBA1C of 35 & 33 respectively). I'm even more amazed at this, as the reading is supposedly an average over the last 3 months so was hoping if things had gone well to get a pre-diabetic result.

I guess we can't get complacent and will have to maintain the lifestyle change to avoid problems in the future. Hope this helps others.
Hi @Birch59 great post, thank you for sharing, it gives me hope! I'm the same, diagnosed T2 last week, my blood count was 49, doc said its totally 'reversable' then asked how I want to handle it - either get on meds or do a compete lifestyle overhaul. I chose the latter. My doc also said don't bother getting a BG monitor as not needed, which didn't make sense to me at all - surely it's better to know the effect of food on your BG levels from the get go? It'd give you a better idea, sooner, of what's needed to regulate - so I went and bought my own, too. Then I asked a bazillion questions on these forums, which has helped me tremendously in terms of getting my head in mode at what I need to do, and also some great tips and advice.

I'm aiming to do the same as you and your wife, try and get my average BG figure within normal range/remission range, by the time of the first review mid January, so 3mths time. The challenge is on, and I'm keen to then keep it going after that. Change for life, not just to get myself back to 'normal' bloods.

Great to hear you and your wife achieved it, this totally inspires me!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this is showing off - I just tested my BG and got 5.7mmol/l.
Why would it be useless to have such positive feedback on eating low carb?

Birch59

Hi @Birch59 great post, thank you for sharing, it gives me hope! I'm the same, diagnosed T2 last week, my blood count was 49, doc said its totally 'reversable' then asked how I want to handle it - either get on meds or do a compete lifestyle overhaul. I chose the latter. My doc also said don't bother getting a BG monitor as not needed, which didn't make sense to me at all - surely it's better to know the effect of food on your BG levels from the get go? It'd give you a better idea, sooner, of what's needed to regulate - so I went and bought my own, too. Then I asked a bazillion questions on these forums, which has helped me tremendously in terms of getting my head in mode at what I need to do, and also some great tips and advice.

I'm aiming to do the same as you and your wife, try and get my average BG figure within normal range/remission range, by the time of the first review mid January, so 3mths time. The challenge is on, and I'm keen to then keep it going after that. Change for life, not just to get myself back to 'normal' bloods.

Great to hear you and your wife achieved it, this totally inspires me!

The great thing about the change in lifestyle is that you feel so much better for it, as well as getting the HBA1C under control.
We both lost about 10Kg in the first month 4Kg in the second and 3Kg in the third. We then seemed to stabilize on the weight loss which is probably down to burning off most of the visceral fat. In the last month, I have gained just over a Kg but I hope that's mainly due to increased muscle mass from the exercise and finding my old Bullworker from my younger days. If I'm not careful I could end up with a 6 Pack !!! (well 3.5 pack at least).

Best wishes with the lifestyle change. As you say the clue is in the name.