Pumps Are Not Gods

Moodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Ok slightly dramatic title!

For the last week I have been having highs that would not come down, I mean 20 - 25 and never lower than 15. I am not blowing my own trumpet but I am a well controlled diabetic so it was pretty unusual. I was blaming everything, including my blood tester, the food I was eating, my own knowledge of diabetes, the cat...ok not the cat but you get the idea. For some reason the last thing I thought that could be wrong was the pump. I had such faith in the pump, almost blind faith in it. I know that sounds odd, but it’s with you all time and never lets you down. My wife suggested it may be a problem with the pump but I ignored her (won't be allowed to forget that) I thought if the pump was faulty or having issues it would let me know via self-checks etc.

Eventually I ran a self-test with the pump and it went berserk, battery fail, replaced battery, then battery fail again. Second go it accepted the battery but reset active insulin and stopped delivering insulin until I had completed a set change. I phone Medtronic (great customer service!). Ran through diagnostics, which reported software fail and mechanical issue. Had a new pump within 4 hours and since then levels are back to normal and I now have more faith in myself and a slightly wary approach the pump.

Don’t’ get me wrong still love the pump and would not be without it. I am sure most of you using pumps are more clued up than me, but for those of you who have complete faith in the pump, just be aware it’s not infallible!

Cheers
Nik :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Moodle, Yep even technology fails sometimes. I must admit I have tended to ring the pump manufacturer help line as soon as I have ruled out other causes as they can often spot a fault with a few button pushes you are instructed to do over the phone.
And one glaring issue is that none of the pumps seem to have an alert for when the battery connection is failing or failed (as every alarm runs off battery power but unsure about the body-heat powered pump though).
As you are no doubt aware the bent or dislodged/leaking needle inserts seem to be the most common issue with pumps and the obstruction alarm does not seem to work when the plastic cannula is bent).
We have all become used to mobile phones, computers etc and our reservations about their limitations and error rates are often lulled into a denial that they can fail. Glad the problem has been solved. Going from insulin injections to the insulin pump allays some concerns but introduces others. Vigilance is still the by-word !!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The first thing with pump usage and high levels is to thoroughly check pump and change everything that may go wrong like cannulas, tubes, reservoirs, batterys...

Also all mechanical or failures with cannulas etc should be reported to manufacturers but also MHRA.gov website.

I never believe it’s my body even with MDI unless everything has been changed and checked. The only time that this rule for me would vary is for known operations or illness...

Had pumps 2010-15 and they are good, but they are a manufactured gadget... and problems do occur. You only have to look at the withdrawal of Accuchek cannulas years ago.

All failures should go to MHRA website as logging them officially is the only way to ensure that failures are corrected globally, quickly.

Moodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kitedoc I will be way more aware now. In some ways at least it wasn't me who was wrong :) Interesting point re the battery too!

Hi @donnellysdogs , thanks re the website, will take a look at that!

Just out of interest, are there any other 640G users out there who regularly run the self test...if so how often should it be done?

Cheers
Nik

Reactions: kitedoc
D

Deleted Account

Must be the season for pump failures - mine failed yesterday.
It did alarm ... and would not stop until I removed the battery.
Unfortunately, one of the problems (may have been two problems, not clear) was related to the battery compartment and I could not remove the cap so it wouldn't stop alarming ... whilst I was out with the in-laws.

Animas customer services were great and my new pump is on the way.

The main lesson I learnt (apart from to walk away from a crowd and try and sort it out myself rather than receiving "useful advice" from everyone who could hear the alarm) is to make sure I most definitely have a back up plan with me wherever I go.
I usually have a small syringe but swapped bags and didn't have a syringe with me.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Eventually I ran a self-test with the pump and it went berserk, battery fail, replaced battery, then battery fail again. Second go it accepted the battery but reset active insulin and stopped delivering insulin until I had completed a set change. I phone Medtronic (great customer service!). Ran through diagnostics, which reported software fail and mechanical issue. Had a new pump within 4 hours and since then levels are back to normal and I now have more faith in myself and a slightly wary approach the pump.

My pump did this a few weeks ago, although mine was deemed to be a hardware issue. I only knew there was a problem because I did the self test so could have been like it for quite a while! No problems with insulin delivery or anything like that. The new one took a bit longer than 4 hours to arrive, from first contacting Medtronic (out of hours) it was about 48 hours until I received the new one, and of course the lantus I had in the fridge was out of date and the pharmacy wouldn't give me any :meh:
Regarding the self testing, I was only told you needed to do one if you knock or drop your pump, I tend to do it when I think of it, maybe every couple of months

Moodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @helensaramay ah yes the useful advice of others...I know it well! I normally take pens when I go away but was at work this time, thankfully only 30 mins drive away so wasn't too bad, but like the syringe idea!

Hi @sleepster Think I was lucky it was during lunchtime on a week day. Thanks re when to self test, for some reason I thought it self self tested if that makes sense? I was the same re the lantus, lesson learnt, lucky my novarapid was in date, so had a pen flashback. :)

Moodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Sweetheart66 Yes there is, had run it once before but sort of forgot it was there. I had in my mind it ran its own checks. But as mentioned its worth perhaps running it a couple of times a month, don't want to go through a week like that again!

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sweetheart66 Yes there is, had run it once before but sort of forgot it was there. I had in my mind it ran its own checks. But as mentioned its worth perhaps running it a couple of times a month, don't want to go through a week like that again!
How is the self test performed?