Soup

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can someone give me soup recipe? I like it food that tastes like pepper and lemon (don't know the right word but you get the point.) It should be simple ingredients that can be found anywhere nothing complicated, I prefer it to be low carb but either is okay. Any help?

D

Deleted member 308541

Can someone give me soup recipe?
Not exactly soup, but a great winter warmer, recipe was sourced from a BBS service I subscribed to pre internet days in the early 90's.

Ted's Texas Road Kill Chilli.

Copyright Ted Rockwell ©1992

4 lb. fresh road-kill.
1 tsp. black pepper.
2 beers or 750ml zinfindel.
1-3 tsps. oregano.
2 Jalapeno peppers (chopped).
1 tsp. cumin powder.
2-4 tbs. chilli powder.
1 tsp. salt.
4 cloves crushed garlic.
1 16 oz. can Cantadina tomato sauce.
1 tbs. finely chopped green onions.
2 tsb. chopped bell pepper.

Grind up 4 pounds of fresh road-kill. (Note: sometimes, due to the condition of the road-kill, grinding up may not be necessary). Just about anything is acceptable (Armadillo, rabbit, possum, chicken, unidentified...), (in other countries substitute your local critter) but stay away from skunks since their odoriferousnous may have a negative effect on the final result.

If you live in an area where there's not much highway traffic, or where urbanisation has scared off all the critters and your neighbours keep their pets indoors, then you can use (all) the following meat as a substitute:

2 lb. ground beef (chilli grind).
1 lb. venison (chilli grind) .. pork is ok.
1 lb. ground Italian sausage.
12 oz. Mexican chorrizo sausage.

Mix all the meat in a large kettle. If using the "substitute" ingredients above, then cut open the chorrizo wrapping and squeeze out the contents into the mixture of the 4 lb. of other meats. Brown the meat, stirring occasionally to mix well. Once the meat has browned, add the tomato sauce, beer (or wine) and all of the seasonings.

It is a good idea at this early juncture to use only half of the chilli pepper and oregano and reserve the rest until later so that you can season to your taste.

Cook over low-medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook covered for 1 hour, stirring from time to time. Sample for taste, increase seasoning as desired, and cook on low for another hour, stirring occasionally.

Sample again and add additional cumin, chilli pepper, oregano, Jalapenos or critters to suit your taste; turn off heat and place in the refrigerator over night. Reheat on the following day and serve. For an especially tasty presentation, serve up in bowls and sprinkle the top with chopped white onions and shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses. Feeds 6 to 8. Enjoy!

Reactions: alphabeta

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Screenshot 2018-08-17 at 06.41.11.png

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This looks nice, and simple. Personally, I'd just leave out the cornstarch thickener, but if you wanted to thicken it you could with a little xanthum or the psyllium husk.

The carb count on this one looks mighty hefty, but will take into account the cornstarch, and it is an American recipe.

https://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe/Lemon-Pepper-Soup.html