Oh Dear, I Pea-ed All Over Myself Last Night

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I did spell it correctly. This is about Peas. Last night my family ate a prepared slimmers meal that I have used successfully before on my LC diet, and the shop bought bit does not spike me. Usually one meal carton fedds three of us, but my daughter is away on holoday, so it got split 2 ways, thus increasing my portion size.

That taken into consideration, I was not expecting a big rise in bgl. But it jumped from 5. to 12 mmol/l at the 2hrPP. So I checked the meal carton to see if there was a cause, but it was 7% carbs, which is not normally a problem. It was ot a misread on my meter either, or finger contamination.

What it was was the peas we ate with the meal. Normally I avoid peas and sweetcorn, but last night my wife wanted peas, and lots of them please. When I served it to her, she decided my idea of a portion was much bigger than she had in mind, so I extracted the excess and put it on my plate to save chucking them. So I had a large portion of peas, looking like the Eatwell Plate now.

And here is the moral of the story. Check the packging on EVERYTHING. I found that the peas I had bought were a supermarket own brand, and the label showed they were 19% carb,, of which sugars were 2.7% So my LC meal became high carb / large portion, and I suffered as a result. Where did the sugar come from?

Reactions: HeartlessHaxisal

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Peas have natural sugars as does sweetcorn. With sweetcorn the clue is in the name. Used to enjoy growing and popping pea pods many years ago.

Reactions: HeartlessHaxisal

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Peas have natural sugars as does sweetcorn. With sweetcorn the clue is in the name. Used to enjoy growing and popping pea pods many years ago.
The labelling system in UK only lists sucralose content (a la table sugar) Natural sugars tend to be monosaccharides or fructose . dextrose. maltose etc and are not part of this declaration. Manufacturers use this to hide sugars added during processing.

One of the mantras oft chanted by LCHF guru's is that it is ok to eat the above ground veg, but be wary of root veg. This is why I was surprised to get such a major spike from peas, which I thought fell into the above ground category.

The clue is in the name? How about Sweetbreads?

davich

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who complain for the sake of complaining. The why me brigade. Live with what you have and make the best of your life.
I love peas and steamed mixed veg packs from birds eye. Never once considered checking for the carb levels?
I exercise so much that I have used over 33,000 calories from cycling alone. So do you think that more exercise needs more carbs? My HbA1c is 39Mmol down from 52 in February.
This has given me much food for thought [sorry] lol.