Gym Programs

ramil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everybody . I am type 2.
I have begin newly for gym.
But when i go there i dont know what to do.
There many gym machines , but i dont know which to do first and then which to use ?

I need gym program.
Please help me.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If finances allow, you could ask at the gym whether they have any personal trainers available? We (husband and I) did and we got a great one who is actually T1, so he always understood about hypos. A trainer would be able to adapt a regime for your level of fitness. Some gyms also have communal classes you can join. I'd recommend you ask at the gym for advice: there's a good chance someone will show you how the equipment works even if you don't want classes or a trainer. You really need someone to get you started, even if it's just to show you how the machines work.

Most people can manage an exercise bike and a treadmill (you don't have to run all the time) even if they're as unfit as I was when I started (very).
And apologies, I don't mean to say you're unfit (I have no idea about your levels of fitness), but both the treadmill and the exercise bike are fairly easy to use for gym beginners.

Good luck.

Reactions: ramil

ramil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If finances allow, you could ask at the gym whether they have any personal trainers available? We (husband and I) did and we got a great one who is actually T1, so he always understood about hypos. A trainer would be able to adapt a regime for your level of fitness. Some gyms also have communal classes you can join. I'd recommend you ask at the gym for advice: there's a good chance someone will show you how the equipment works even if you don't want classes or a trainer. You really need someone to get you started, even if it's just to show you how the machines work.

Most people can manage an exercise bike and a treadmill (you don't have to run all the time) even if they're as unfit as I was when I started (very).
And apologies, I don't mean to say you're unfit (I have no idea about your levels of fitness), but both the treadmill and the exercise bike are fairly easy to use for gym beginners.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply
On every machine the instructions are with photos it is easy to use the machines .
The difficult side is to choose the right machine for my body values.

D

Deleted Account

Any vaguely decent gym should have instructors around for health and safety reasons.
Many will put together a program for you and that is included in the membership fee (as well as regular assessments).
But even if they don't provide that, if you ask, any instructor will show you how to use the machines and give you an overview of what they do, how long to use it for, how many repetitions, etc.
I typically get a 3 month program and then change. Not only does this help alleviate the boredom but it also ensure I don't over use one muscle group and mis out another.

So, in short, if you don't know what to do, ask one of the employees at the gym.
If they can't tell you what the machines do, they shouldn't be there.

streem26

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
IMO, the best exercises are ones you dont even need the gym for.

Eat well, Drink plenty of water, check your blood sugar before, during, and after exercise, always have snacks and sugary drinks nearby (as well as water)

Jogging, Pushups, lifting light weights, caulk gun, situps and other core exercises are probably best.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeStrutter

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There many gym machines , but i dont know which to do first and then which to use ?

I need gym program.
Please help me.
Any gym that simply lets you loose on the machines with no instruction is negligent. There must surely be an induction session to show you what to do?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HIIT and resistance training are proven to give the most benifit, the gym should offer you a introduction session to show you how to use the equipment, ask them about it at the session. You may need to pay for the induction sessions.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply
On every machine the instructions are with photos it is easy to use the machines .
The difficult side is to choose the right machine for my body values.
In any gym you will find machines for the two main kinds of exercise, strength training (also called resistance training) and aerobic exercise (for heart and lungs). Both are IMO vital. I like to do weight training and aerobic on alternate days, but some people prefer to do some of both each time they visit the gym. Stretching is also important, but that can be done without machines. Aerobic machines include the treadmill, various kinds of bikes, cross trainers (where you use your arms as well as your legs) and rowing machines. IMO although HIT training is great, beginners will do better to start with some steady aerobic exercise on whatever machine appeals to them.

For resistance training, you could list the various parts of your body and then try to do at least one exercise for each. So, for upper back you could do lat pulldowns and/or assisted pullups. For chest, lying chest presses on the Smith machine and maybe half or full pushups on the mat. For shoulders, dumbell over-head presses. You will also need to strengthen your core / abs, glutes (backside), quads (thighs), hamstrings (back of thighs) and calves. This is adding up to quite a lot of exercises, so some people like to split their body into sections and eg work mainly their legs one day, their upper body another. The important thing is to work your body in a balanced way, at least over the week. You don't want to fall into the trap of working eg your chest too much and your back not enough.

Normally when someone joins a gym there is a free induction to explain how to use the machines. Indeed in some gyms you are not allowed to train until you have had this explanation. I would ask for that before you pay for any training sessions.

Do the instructions on the machines show which body part that machine exercises? How many days a week are you going to the gym? IMO going regularly to the gym is a great choice and will give you great opportunities to strengthen your body and improve your health. Congratulations!

Reactions: Petaluk

scouse13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I've been using the local gym since retiring.
After a chat with the 'carers' I purched on a number of endurance machines and watched others. Then adapter what I saw.
Keep exercise slow and low and build up gently.
Kev

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I run for about 20 to 30 minutes on treadmill and I do 3 sets of squats, leg raises and lunges, gradually adding and increasing weights. Maybe you can get one of those exercise DVDs for an idea
:)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I need gym program.
Please help me.
Hi . I am a trainer and as people have said an induction with a quick check of your fitness to exercise is usually included but not all gyms do this.
If not I';d be happy to put a simple beginner programme up here. We have some nifty gym software that comes with pictures!
The principles are:
Warm up for 5-10 mins (10 if very unfit or over 60)
15 minutes of cycling, walking, rowing (cardiio)
2 x 8-15 (8-12 for most and 10-15 for the over 60s) reps using the large muscles groups e.g. leg press, chest press, lat pull own (back) and shoulder press
Build up the reps and increase the weight once it feels easy
Muscles are key for insulin resistant diabetics and for the over 60s and diet should take care of any fat loss required though some High Intensity intervals can help but these should not be attempted if you are unused to exercise.

More important remember that the gym bunnies all look like they know what they are doing but they don't or certainly didn't when they first stated either...

Reactions: Sean01 and Bobbin