Event Birmingham 1st Sept

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
EVENT UPDATE – SATURDAY 1ST SEPTEMBER - BIRMINGHAM

It's all coming along very nicely. Which is just as well as it's only just over 2 weeks away! It's very exciting.

• We have the venue booked (menu still to be confirmed)

• Hotel rooms booked for the Friday night for those arriving the day before

• We have guest speaker on the day (DCUK)

• We have their PR team on hand for the event. Hoping this is really going to spread our LCHF woe to control BS message.

• We have had invites produced and they have been sent to all interested parties
***PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED ONE AND HAVE PREVIOUSLY CONFIRMED THAT YOU LIKE TO ATTEND ASAP AND I CAN SQUEEZE A COUPLE MORE IN IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO JOIN US ***

• @Rachox has finished the Blood Sugar leaflet and it's looking fab….u…..lous. It's just perfect. Says everything and right to the point.

• @shelley262 has almost finished the low carb recipes with hints and tips booklet and it is already looking amazing, I really love how she has put it all together, it's making me want to start cooking!! Jam packed with great info.

• I have done the first draft of the Inspirational Stories booklet and will be sending it to all those included for them to check, to see if they are happy, want to edit, add, send pics (some have some haven't either way is fine obviously) etc. This should be out over the next 2 days to you.

• I have reached well over 100 stone on my 'we kicked diabetes' butt and shrank ours at the same time' spreadsheet. And really this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many many more.

• I have name badges and am thinking of adding both forum name and first 'real' name and will contact to confirm where I am not already aware. Obviously it isn't compulsory to give names.
THE PHOTOS ON THE DAY

This is how I see it going. We go to the venue in our nice gear, we will be in a group photo (those who wish to be in it) showing how we look now. I'm wearing something that shows off the weight loss well! And there will be a photo where we pop on our big trousers (or skirt etc. as the case may be) to show how much we have lost whilst putting our diabetes into remission/reversing/controlling (this may be a small amount or a large amount, it doesn't matter). I got rid of all mine so will be popping to a charity shop or Primarni to pick up an item in my old size. DCUK did say that t shirts may be provided for the day but it was going to be down to budget. There will be an opportunity to answer a few simple questions on video (should you wish to partake) these may be added to the DCUK website as a way of helping and guiding others. I personally love to hear real people's success stories.

QUESTIONS

1) I'm thinking of doing a life size eat well plate for what we are advised to eat and one for what we eat to keep our blood sugars controlled!! But the what we should eat would vary from person to person on here, some do keto, others various amounts of carbs, proteins, fats so it could prove difficult. Has anyone any ideas on this? Might have to leave it.

2) I was hoping to do a leaflet on simple exercises, from armchair to high power. I won't have time, and probably not the best person to do this as I really only walk! I might just have to leave this to one side and maybe think about it for the next event :) Have to think about copy write too. Anyone have any ideas how we could do something on an A4 size sheet for example to keep it simple?

Can I just take this opportunity to say a massive thanks for all your help. Could NOT have got this off the ground without all the help I have received. You are such an amazing bunch of people.

D

Deleted Account

Wow! This sounds amazing. I can only imagine the amount of work you have put into organising all of this.

I think I must have been living under a rock for a few months because I wasn't aware this was coming up.

Just one question - what is The Event?
Is it for all at diabetes.co.uk or is it focused on LCHF and type 2 (which the topics seem to suggest ... although I know some people with other types of diabetes follow LCHF diet).

Reactions: Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! This sounds amazing. I can only imagine the amount of work you have put into organising all of this.

I think I must have been living under a rock for a few months because I wasn't aware this was coming up.

Just one question - what is The Event?
Is it for all at diabetes.co.uk or is it focused on LCHF and type 2 (which the topics seem to suggest ... although I know some people with other types of diabetes follow LCHF diet).

I know not everyone has seen the details. I have sabotaged many threads to link details but I know this isn't the way to go! It's very naughty! But I wanted to try and reach as many people as possible. Next event (and I'm sure there will be one) I will create a specific thread and just hope for the best. The mods on here will guide me. I have had amazing support from all angles. It's been great.

It was an idea I had after my story went into my local paper. It got a lot of attention and I was thrilled at being able to help others. Not just diabetic but those who just wanted to lose weight. Then it fizzled out. I felt flat. So I though 'what if lots of us get together to show people what we have done with LCHF ....we are all able to control blood sugars'. This might really spread the word and catch a lot if media attention too. We can but hope. I feel it's relevant to all types of diabetes. I'm not too au fait with other types at all but I have seen that the LCHF is beneficial to every type for controlling BS. So i would hope the event would be the same :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a thought re your plates of what we eat display. How about asking those who artrend to bring a photo image of a typical meal? Have An Eatwell plate to compare.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Wish I had known about this, sounds amazing, do post pictures and a bulletin.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gutted I’m in Birmingham most days but at a wedding on this day! Best of luck.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Resurrection of an old thread here but is there any chance another meet up of this sort will happen this year? I was gutted to miss the last one

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Resurrection of an old thread here but is there any chance another meet up of this sort will happen this year? I was gutted to miss the last one

Personally, I don't know of anything happening, but there's nothing to stop you, or someone else organising something.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I don't know of anything happening, but there's nothing to stop you, or someone else organising something.
Well beyond my experience to be organising events such as this I’m afraid.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well beyond my experience to be organising events such as this I’m afraid.

HSSS - the informal ones are as simple as folks meeting in x place at a given time on a given date, and taking it from there. The places could be a Costa Coffee (or the like), a pub, or eatery.

I know when I've gone to these sorts of informal things, folks generally just have a great old chinwag. Whilst we might never have met our forum chums before, we know we have a fair bit in common, before we set eyes on each other.

The organisation element can be as much or as little as the organiser wants to make it. Please don't think I'm trying to persuade you to get organising. I'm not. I'm just clarifying my understanding.

When meeting "strangers", it is always sensible to do so in public places, where there will be others, and for someone at home to know where you are and when you expect to be home. I don't say that to frighten anyone, but just as a reminder that we all need to be safe.

Reactions: HSSS