Supplements For Diabetes In Newspaper Article.

Robin101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As I understand it chromium acts by enhancing the action of insulin which isn't much use where the imbalance is insulin resistance (T2)
For T1 you would have to be very careful with chromium as it's effect could be difficult to quantify with any degree of certainty.

Vitamin D is relatively safe and recommended where lack of sunlight is an issue ( more so these days with advice to use ever stronger sunscreen!)

Cinnamon? Not sure on this and I am currently increasing cinnamon in my diet to see if there is any discernable effect.

As I am 'only' T2 my goal is to be pill free ( just. 2000 mg Metformin at the moment) . So for me adding supplements in pill form isn't really achieving my longer term goals

Reactions: kitedoc

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm really uncomfortable with some of theses claims or rather the way the journalist has portrayed them them as being a preventative. Take the vitD supplement, if you google RDA on this you will get multiple dosage advice. As vitD needs K2 and as the best vitD absorption is through natural sunlight in my opinion a supplement of vitD alone is a very poor substitute.

Robin101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm really uncomfortable with some of theses claims or rather the way the journalist has portrayed them them as being a preventative. Take the vitD supplement, if you google RDA on this you will get multiple dosage advice. As vitD needs K2 and as the best vitD absorption is through natural sunlight in my opinion a supplement of vitD alone is a very poor substitute.
Me too. I think the concern for me is that statements in healthcare such as ' the chromium insulin mechanism is poorly understood' says rather alot.
Everyone we tinker with any part of the wonderful and complicated machine of the human body there are very often unintended consequences. Simplicity is key.
Researchers are very often biased as in most cases they already have a question to which they have an answer - just no proof. Very few researchers will admit and publish research where they have actually failed to prove ( unless that was their intention)
Journalists in fact anyone who publicly publishes information has an ' agenda of some sort. (Government's, corporations,, pill sellers, even health services) The question is if that agenda fits your own goals?

Reactions: kitedoc and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Me too. I think the concern for me is that statements in healthcare such as ' the chromium insulin mechanism is poorly understood' says rather alot.
Everyone we tinker with any part of the wonderful and complicated machine of the human body there are very often unintended consequences. Simplicity is key.
Researchers are very often biased as in most cases they already have a question to which they have an answer - just no proof. Very few researchers will admit and publish research where they have actually failed to prove ( unless that was their intention)
Journalists in fact anyone who publicly publishes information has an ' agenda of some sort. (Government's, corporations,, pill sellers, even health services) The question is if that agenda fits your own goals?

Sometimes a journo just has a space to fill, doesn't matter what with as long as his/her name is at the head of that space.

Edited to add. For a great skinny on this members might like to view Ivor Cummins' lecture on YouTube entitled 'The Vitamin D Debacle' (or words to that effect).

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That's why I take K2 supplements. Along with my Adcal +D3.

Reactions: kitedoc and Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too and from Dr Cavan as well who is (or at least was ) associated with DCUK. Not sure how dodgy all this is.. I must admit to having been less than impressed by his piece at the PHC conference.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Me too and from Dr Cavan as well who is (or at least was ) associated with DCUK. Not sure how dodgy all this is.. I must admit to having been less than impressed by his piece at the PHC conference.

I've not read or seen anything by Dr. Cavan but have heard mention of his name here on the forum and had thought his book helped some members. I will reserve judgement for the time being and choose to give him the benefit of the doubt in light of the fact that it (the article) was written by a journalist.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It’s in the Daily Express. They’d prescribe Princess Diana supplements, given half a chance. Don’t think I’ll be taking any medical advice from them anytime soon...

M

Moggely

I was taking vit 3 with K2 and went off it to see what goes on. My levels have differently increased so am going back on them. Also cinnamon capsules, Caylen not the cassia one as it's toxic if taking too much. Will see if it makes a difference though.